What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Listening to someone near me setting off fireworks.
What are they celebrating?

Either the fireworks were very loud or we live not far from each other - what were the chavs doing at 11pm ?!

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Listening to foxes making an unholy screaming noise in the park opposite. Either fighting or shagging, hard to tell which..

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Watching my wife change the worn out ear muffs on my Bose headphones...cos I’ve got thick fat Clumsy sausage fingers and started swearing when I couldn’t do it.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Listening to foxes making an unholy screaming noise in the park opposite. Either fighting or shagging, hard to tell which..
I went out with a red head who resembles that remark.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've had relationships like that.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Having a moment.

l’m re-reading (for the umpteenth time) Martin Middlebrook’s superb The First Day on the Somme: 1 July 1916. l’d just reached a point immediately before that awful day - the bloodiest day the British army has ever suffered - when the men of the 12th Northumberland Fusiliers are helping to unload supplies from a light railway.

As they laboured a beautiful tenor voice was heard, singing the old sentimental classic My Little Grey Home in the West. Gradually all work ceased as the men listened. When the singer finished, there was applause, and a demand for an encore. The unknown soldier gave them When You Come to the End of a Perfect Day:

Not a man present could keep his thoughts from those at home and the coming battle at that poignant moment. But the spell was soon broken as the battalion was ordered to move on. The infantry shouldered their packs and moved off into the deepening gloom...”

The following day almost 62,000 men were killed, wounded or went missing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme#First_day_on_the_Somme,_1_July

poppy-field.jpg

maximus otter

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My garden has an untidy area behind the shed which I've been sorting out. Mainly old plant pots and weeds, and FROGS!

There isn't a pond anywhere nearby so I dunno where they come from, although I've seen frogs here ever since I moved in.

(Some of my cats chase them and one used to bring them in and release them unharmed in the bathroom. They'd scream like a squeaky toy until I caught them and took them back down the garden.)

Techy reckons we should build a little pool for them. I already leave the space between the shed and fence untended for our creepy crawly friends so I bet they'd like a small pond too.

That's the thing about gardening; the more you do, the more there is to do. And frogs.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Frogs or toads? Toads tend to hang around damp places rather than ponds. Even an easily accessible bowl of water is good though.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Frogs or toads? Toads tend to hang around damp places rather than ponds. Even an easily accessible bowl of water is good though.
I did wonder if they might be toads, but they have smooth skin and they jump so I'm pretty sure they're frogs.

Must admit, I absolutely love frogs and am delighted to have the honour of sharing their garden!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
So I built the frogs a little beach from an ancient tin baby bath that I had as a planter and half a sack of pea gravel.

Just after I put the water in a frog approached it! I was SO excited!

The frog climbed up to the edge of the bath, crawled over the gravel and... jumped straight over the top. It then did one down the other side and out of sight.

Now here I am on a garden chair watching for the frog to come back, sitting very still, and birds are investigating the little pond. They'll be able to stand on the gravel to drink.

I'm told bees do this too which is nice as we have our very own wild bees nesting in the outhouse roof. David bloody Bellamy, me.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Making a ham and cream cheese sarnie for work tomorrow. I made Paella Sunday night and the leftovers will also be going up town for a late lunch.
Must admit I will be happy when all the food shops reopen. Currently it seems like some of the Pret-a-mangers are opening, but they really are not my favourite.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Waking up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. Muttering darkly. Decided to make use of being awake in the middle of the night and spend a penny. Wash hands. Trawl through here until I feel ready for bed again...

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Feeling absolutely pissed off.

A week ago I traveled down to the edge of nowhere (Somerset) to collect a large communications radio I had bought.

550 Miles, took ten hours.

A few minutes ago I switched it on for the first time.

It doesn't work.

It did when I collected it.. So I am no blaming the seller.

But something appears to have stopped working. No sound at all. So it is probably in the audio section.

The disappointment was overwhelming. I had to wait for the travel restrictions to be eased, get a hire car. Do the trip and even make a sturdy bench for it ; it weighs 50 Pound. Had to rig up a long wire antenna.

And nothing.

Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t.

INT21

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Although the frog definitely jumped over the beach I was still unsure if I was actually looking at a toad so I Googled a picture of both for comparison. Not disappointed.
Frog-and-Toad-Cookies-900.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Woke up just now, about 4am, and went outside to see if the rain we've been promised has arrived. Seems we've had barely a shower.

I always leave bowls of water out for the cats and any other passing wildlife, and there was a hedgehog drinking from the front door one. Awww.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Getting on the train to see some interloper has planted himself in my usual place. It is an omen that the day does not bode well.
Got into work at 6, chugging along with the intention of calling it a day at 3 when the email arrived; a three line whip commanding me to make myself available for a conference call Between 2 and 4. Sod it. I got on the 12.02, home at 13.00, and settled in for said call with a couple of beers readily available.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
He'll probably be fine. Just some minor side effects.

He'll be fine if he uses the psychic power of the message board's goodwill. Either that or consciously stays healthy as per doctor's advice, one of those. Maybe both.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of recovery is in the power of the persons mind.

INT21

p.s. My TIA was 13 years ago. no further problems. My cholesterol was brought down from 7 to 3.8.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of recovery is in the power of the persons mind.

INT21

p.s. My TIA was 13 years ago. no further problems. My cholesterol was brought down from 7 to 3.8.

Impressive! Mind over matter is a real thing in these cases, I agree. Willpower and all that.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Multitasking.

I was:

a) Eating a ham and Edam sandwich with pickle, while;

b) Watching Zombeavers, from which l broke off temporarily to;

c) Rescue, hydrate and release a trapped bumblebee from our conservatory.

maximus otter