What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Finished opening the last of six parcels waiting for me on the step after Work. Have to stop these late night ebay and Amazon binges.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Woken at 3.0 am to a screeching Springer pup with the shits.
He was covered in it from nose to tail so whilst wifey cleared up the mess I was in the shower with him lathering him up and rinsing him down.
poor little puppy.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I was messaging my youngest. As she shares the family fascination with skeletons I have ordered a full-sized one for her, a teaching model. It's a surprise and is arriving today.

So now I need some bone-related puns to send to her. I've come up with 'Not cycling today as it's raining, tibia honest I don't fancy getting soaked!' which isn't top quality.

Come on you lot, I'm coming across as a bonehead! ;)

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Pure filth...call the mods, whats that??? they're still strumming..:eek:
They've never stopped strumming...
I was messaging my youngest. As she shares the family fascination with skeletons I have ordered a full-sized one for her, a teaching model. It's a surprise and is arriving today.

So now I need some bone-related puns to send to her. I've come up with 'Not cycling today as it's raining, tibia honest I don't fancy getting soaked!' which isn't top quality.

How about "I have a bone to pick with you..." or " I don't mean to jaw on..." (as in to talk constantly...)

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Wondering how difficult it is to learn to play the banjo.
Here's a tip. If you love that twangy banjo sound and want to fast-track your learning, go for a banjo with the ukulele tuning (sometimes called a banjolele). It obviously inherits the simplicity of the uke, whilst retaining the whole rustic vibe and evocative sound of the banjo.
The traditional 5 string banjo, on the other hand, has a very different turning and, if you're familiar with guitar or uke, will prove very confusing.
My sister bought a 5-string banjo last year and I can't get anywhere with it, but, having a guitar and 3 ukes in my house, I took to a banjolele like a duck to water.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Here's a tip. If you love that twangy banjo sound and want to fast-track your learning, go for a banjo with the ukulele tuning (sometimes called a banjolele). It obviously inherits the simplicity of the uke, whilst retaining the whole rustic vibe and evocative sound of the banjo.
The traditional 5 string banjo, on the other hand, has a very different turning and, if you're familiar with guitar or uke, will prove very confusing.
My sister bought a 5-string banjo last year and I can't get anywhere with it, but, having a guitar and 3 ukes in my house, I took to a banjolele like a duck to water.
Can you finger pick a uke easily? I've only ever seen folk strumming them.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
They've never stopped strumming...

How about "I have a bone to pick with you..." or " I don't mean to jaw on..." (as in to talk constantly...)
Told her Techy wants ribs for tea so I'm going to knuckle down and start cooking.

'We're planning to watch a fillum tonight - Thoracic Park.' I did like that one.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Can you finger pick a uke easily? I've only ever seen folk strumming them.

Absolutely!

This Amazon page for the Kmise banjolele (the same make but different model to mine) has a video of the guy demonstrating both styles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kmise-Ukulele-String-Concert-Banjos/dp/B01LYCC6IX?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

It's a versatile instrument, so you can be either George Formby, with his little stick of Blackpool Rock (fnarr) or the weird looking kid in Deliverance.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Absolutely!

This Amazon page for the Kmise banjolele (the same make but different model to mine) has a video of the guy demonstrating both styles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kmise-Ukulele-String-Concert-Banjos/dp/B01LYCC6IX?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

It's a versatile instrument, so you can be either George Formby, with his little stick of Blackpool Rock (fnarr) or the weird looking kid in Deliverance.
Thanks for the info- much appreciated! Will watch that video when I get home later.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Putting the tins back on my '78 Fender Precision. About a year ago when things were doing OK I lashed out on a modern Fender Precision Elite with active electronics, so today I decided to put the tins back on my old bass, just so it is properly rock'n'roll. It's amazing that they have survived all the moves and tribulations since I took them off.

Got a couple of Epiphones as well and a Squier Jazz V, but they are going to get sold because my main customer is a casualty of the shutdown, so in turn me. But, there is no power on earth capable of separating me from the Precision my lady bought me.

Anyway, I've paid a small fortune in tax over the last 40 years or so, therefore it's your turn to support me. I'd go busking but I cant sing or play a guitar that has more strings than I have fingers :)

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Putting the tins back on my '78 Fender Precision. About a year ago when things were doing OK I lashed out on a modern Fender Precision Elite with active electronics, so today I decided to put the tins back on my old bass, just so it is properly rock'n'roll. It's amazing that they have survived all the moves and tribulations since I took them off.

Got a couple of Epiphones as well and a Squier Jazz V, but they are going to get sold because my main customer is a casualty of the shutdown, so in turn me. But, there is no power on earth capable of separating me from the Precision my lady bought me.

Anyway, I've paid a small fortune in tax over the last 40 years or so, therefore it's your turn to support me. I'd go busking but I cant sing or play a guitar that has more strings than I have fingers :)
Tins?.. Do you mean pickups?

Cochise

Reaction score
Tins?.. Do you mean pickups?
No. Early Fender guitars had covers over the pickups and the bridge for reasons no longer obvious ( maybe poor electronic shielding?)

Most players threw the tins our somewhere the 60's . But by a variety of complications my bass came to me with them still fitted. And most bassists promptly removed them and threw them away. But because I am somewhat anal I did remove them but carefully stored them away. And now I've put them back on.

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
No. Early Fender guitars had covers over the pickups and the bridge for reasons no longer obvious ( maybe poor electronic shielding?)

Most players threw the tins our somewhere the 60's . But by a variety of complications my bass came to me with them still fitted. And most bassists promptly removed them and threw them away. Burt because I am somewhat anal I did remove them but carefully stored them away. And now I've put them back on.
Oh, right. Guitars only had the bridge cover ones, telecasters, strats etc. Commonly called 'ashtrays'.

Cochise

Reaction score
Oh, right. Guitars only had the bridge cover ones, telecasters, strats etc. Commonly called 'ashtrays'.
Yes indeed. Fender dropped them gradually through the 70's - I'm not sure why my '78 bass has them , but it certainly does.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

errmm .. "Sorry, tried to get you an art teacher but they only have skeleton staff at the moment" .. ?

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Finding a small white vase in my cabinet for my friend who is making a small floral bouquet for her granddaughter's desk.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Taking a pineapple upside-down cake out of the oven. I'll go back in a minute and turn it out.
I've also set a syrup pudding to steam for the rest of the day and made Techy one of those breakfast-in-a-Yorkshire -pudding-with-a-fried-egg-on-top doings.

Little breather now, then back to the cooking. Dunno what's next, could be a fish pie with the massive monkfish I picked up in the week at £1-odd down from £23-odd or some crumpets using my new crumpet rings.

Used to have a nice Krupps cake mixer which eventually died of exhaustion. Current mixer is a hand whisk. I'll have muscles like Popeye.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Taking a pineapple upside-down cake out of the oven. I'll go back in a minute and turn it out.
I've also set a syrup pudding to steam for the rest of the day and made Techy one of those breakfast-in-a-Yorkshire -pudding-with-a-fried-egg-on-top doings.

Little breather now, then back to the cooking. Dunno what's next, could be a fish pie with the massive monkfish I picked up in the week at £1-odd down from £23-odd or some crumpets using my new crumpet rings.

Used to have a nice Krupps cake mixer which eventually died of exhaustion. Current mixer is a hand whisk. I'll have muscles like Popeye.
You mean you don't already have muscles like Popeye?!