What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Thinking how powerless I am to voice an opinion. Thinking how censored my voice has become. Thinking how only my absurd thoughts fall within the parameters- fall into a category of accepted comment. Thinking how free speech is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Thinking how powerless I am to voice an opinion. Thinking how censored my voice has become. Thinking how only my absurd thoughts fall within the parameters- fall into a category of accepted comment. Thinking how free speech is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.
Yes. As a fairly obvious contrarian i don't like this world. As someone said in one of the papers to day - I think in the context of Liverpool winning the 1st division/premiership for the first time in 30 years - if only all of us could wind back 30 years and work out what we did wrong.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Yes. As a fairly obvious contrarian i don't like this world. As someone said in one of the papers to day - I think in the context of Liverpool winning the 1st division/premiership for the first time in 30 years - if only all of us could wind back 30 years and work out what we did wrong.
The world is always in a state of flux. I just don’t like the closure of free speech right now.

Cochise

Reaction score
The world is always in a state of flux. I just don’t like the closure of free speech right now.
I don't like the closure of free speech that has gone on for several years now. I don't like the 'new racism'. I don't like the way the MSM no longer separates news and opinion. I don't like the way people simply don't seem to value what we have (or had pre-coronavirus) for all its imperfections was a damn sight better than most civilisations have ever had. I mean would anyone really prefer Jacobin France or Roman Britain?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
If there’s only one accepted opinion you either accept it or reject it and follow your own conscience. If you follow the opinion, there are a hundred ways to say so. Following your own conscience backed by experience on the other hand, seems to offer far less opportunities. Debate seems to have been closed down. Which I guess is the new idea.

Cochise

Reaction score
If there’s only one accepted opinion you either accept it or reject it and follow your own conscience. If you follow the opinion, there are a hundred ways to say so. Following your own conscience backed by experience on the other hand, seems to offer far less opportunities. Debate seems to have been closed down. Which I guess is the new idea.
I've actually been thinking about this quite a lot lately, and the nearest film character I can identify with is Hol Barrett in Pale rider. You can push me about a lot but there is a breaking point, which I've only hit a couple of times in my life.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I've actually been thinking about this quite a lot lately, and the nearest film character I can identify with is Hol Barrett in Pale rider. You can push me about a lot but there is a breaking point, which I've only hit a couple of times in my life.
Well. Like I say, we’re far too big, far too old and far too ugly to let this break us.

Cochise

Reaction score
Well. Like I say, we’re far too big, far too old and far too ugly to let this break us.
I've sort of healed a bit in the last few days and concluded that under no circumstances am I going to go down quietly. Take me down or leave me alone. I'm not actually responsible for the rest of the human race if it chooses to unplug its brains.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
I've sort of healed a bit in the last few days and concluded that under no circumstances am I going to go down quietly. Take me down or leave me alone. I'm not actually responsible for the rest of the human race if it chooses to unplug its brains.
Yep. The media finds so many ways to cry out for a little bit of our attention. You have to prioritise, I think, on what’s personally important and above all, achievable. Seems like you’re getting back on the road.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
As James Whale said in his autobiography, we only have free speech as long as you say what the majority after thinking. Dare to have a different opinion and you'll be ridiculed and denigrated. I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of what JW said.

Cochise

Reaction score
So that's three of my absolute favourite films on tonight - Batman Begins, Pale Rider and Hot Fuzz.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Watching Batman Begins yet again. Tumbler - best Batmobile ever (although respect to the original Adam West one).
Christain Bale best Batman.
It's a pity they couldn't for some reason keep on Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes for The Dark Knight. Maggie Gyllenhaal was nowhere near as good. But Heath Ledger was absolutely brilliant as the Joker.
Blame Tom Cruise and the Scientologists trying to control Katie for her no-show in The Dark Knight.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Blame Tom Cruise and the Scientologists trying to control Katie for her no-show in The Dark Knight.
I blame Tom Cruise for a lot of things...

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Poundland was open in Aylesbury, not that I needed anything nine things. Put a new button battery in the electronic kitchen jug scales so I could measure out exactly 160 mls of water and 250g of bread mix - hoping I don't get another amorphous grey blob-loaf like last time.

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
Poundland was open in Aylesbury, not that I needed anything nine things. Put a new button battery in the electronic kitchen jug scales so I could measure out exactly 160 mls of water and 250g of bread mix - hoping I don't get another amorphous grey blob-loaf like last time.
That's what happens when you forget to put the yeast in..:(

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
You can always spot the people in Poundland who only went in for one thing: they're always standing in the queue with a massive pile of STUFF precariously balanced on their crossed arms.

Or maybe that's just me.

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
Finding out that there's actually a place called 29 Palms. I thought it was just the name of a Robert Plant song.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Finding out that there's actually a place called 29 Palms. I thought it was just the name of a Robert Plant song.
It's also the name of a very horrible film.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Wondering why my backpack was so heavy as I moved it out from under my desk. Normally it contains a couple of reusable shopping bags, book (in case I have to wait for a bus) and some hand sanitiser, but it felt heavier than usual. So I went through and found the zip lock bag full of loose change I want to put into the bank tomorrow. Mystery solved!

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Wondering why my backpack was so heavy as I moved it out from under my desk. Normally it contains a couple of reusable shopping bags, book (in case I have to wait for a bus) and some hand sanitiser, but it felt heavier than usual. So I went through and found the zip lock bag full of loose change I want to put into the bank tomorrow. Mystery solved!
I did that during the lockdown. Had to stop direct debits etc when furloughed, thought I would take the opportunity to dump £80 worth of coppers in the NatWest change machine on a Saturday. Walked through a very eerie and empty Chelmsford to find the friggin bank was closed. Had to do it all again the following Tuesday.

Last edited:

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Dug out my VHS Delicatessen box to see if I still had the golden pig badge - some-one wanted £30.00 on Ebay for it (tape with the badge is going for only £10.00). Love that film, might start wearing the pig.

Cochise

Reaction score
5 minutes ago I completed my phone upgrade. Only about 6 hours. But actually that's not bad - I have all the data off my old phone, I have swapped the SD card, it talks to my car and I've got my browser synchronising (the last actually took the longest). I'm quite chuffed.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
5 minutes ago I completed my phone upgrade. Only about 6 hours. But actually that's not bad - I have all the data off my old phone, I have swapped the SD card, it talks to my car and I've got my browser synchronising (the last actually took the longest). I'm quite chuffed.
I bought a new car. I was mostly taken by the fact you could customise the display. So I now have this as the hub of my driving experience...

1593814887229.jpeg

Cochise

Reaction score
Is that Tintin's brother?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
It’s Pip-Boy from Fallout. He’s telling you that if the mushroom cloud is bigger than your thumb at arm’s length, you’re in trouble.
And if you’re using Pip-Boy, you’re not far away from trouble in any case.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It’s Pip-Boy from Fallout. He’s telling you that if the mushroom cloud is bigger than your thumb at arm’s length, you’re in trouble.
And if you’re using Pip-Boy, you’re not far away from trouble in any case.
Vault Boy. I have a Vault Boy bobblehead like this: