What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
I am currently engaged on a program of ridding my house and life of anything to do with Microsoft. I used to enjoy working with computers. Not any more.

I will keep my work laptop (and one spare) available should , by a miracle, someone want me to work on my software, but once I've backed up everything all the other kit is going and I'm sticking to Linux. Have just been setting up one of these -

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-4?variant=31856486416467

Absolute pleasure. I eradicated Apple and IBM in the 1990's, once I've got rid of Microsoft the next for the chop will be Google and all its ramifications. Already using Duck Duck Go as my search engine.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Watching an ambulance speed pass with its sirens screaming...

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Answering a knock on the front door, and being asked by a complete stranger if I drove a Honda. Said no, and the strange woman said "Well, there's one blocking the bus stop". There is a bus stop right in front of next door. Which is currently and clearly having a new house built. The builders are easy to spot. Their cars are in front of the house they are building. I pointed this out, very politely, while thinking "Are you blind?!"
She responded with a vague "Oh..." and got back on the bus. She wasn't the driver...

TangletwigsDeux

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Fighting a recalcitrant Chromecast that steadfastly refused to admit I had any sort of Wifi within a 100 miles. I convinced it finally.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Watching Metal Detecting clips on YouTube as I can't get out myself. There's a chap up to to his shoulders in the surf in Corpus Christi Bay (Texas ?) with an aircraft carrier parked up about 1000 yards away. He's got the detector completerly submerged, feeling for objects with his toes. Most impressed as he's using the same model (Equinox 600) as mine - even more impressive if it still worked the next day. Discovered there are software updates for my detector - the first adds a dim background light to the control box (in addition to bright light), presumably so you can go nighthawking without being spotted. Also a new iron discrimination programme which, according to YouTube reviews, is no different from the original prog. The latest upgrade 'enhances' existing settings without explaining which ones or how or why and I also get a new frequency - so as well as 5, 10 and 15 KHz, I now have a 4 KHz which apparently is very useful in detecting deep targets in Asia (I think you have to actually be in Asia). I did check that upgrades could be removed before loading them.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Disposing of our Jack o' Lantern.

Daughter was reluctant to get rid of it (and I confess that where he had shrivelled and warped a little he looked even creepier) but mould was also appearing.

I explained, again, that Jack was the spirit inside the pumpkin and not the pumpkin itself, and that he'd be back next year when we carve him a new home.

This she seemed to quite like.

It chimed with my suggested antidote to Raymond Briggs's melting snowman; he might be back when the next white Christmas arrives.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Watching 3 high speed navy boats charge about the estery,
apparently they are making a film called Cobra.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Looking at a video about how to replace the switch on a Breville Hot Cup drinks maker. Someone asked me to fix one that stopped working so I looked for advice online and the switch seems to be the best bet.

titch

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The fingerprint sensor on my mobile stopped working, so I decided to fix it using my subtle and delicate fixy skills. I stuck a knife round the button and wiggled it. Imagine my surprise when I realised I had made things worse. Now the sensor keeps falling out and I have to enter my password like it's medieval times.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Listening to a podcast on Louise Huebner, the official witch of Los Angeles. See seemed quite a character.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The magnetic catches I sent off for to install on my big cabinet arrived so I started looking at where to put them on.
However, something came on t'wireless that spoiled my concentration. It was a programme about onions or summat.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
The fingerprint sensor on my mobile stopped working, so I decided to fix it using my subtle and delicate fixy skills. I stuck a knife round the button and wiggled it. Imagine my surprise when I realised I had made things worse. Now the sensor keeps falling out and I have to enter my password like it's medieval times.
The smart option would have been to not entrust your data to some flaky access in the first place.

The Tech is not ready.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Sellotape is your friend here.

Okarin

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
scrolling through the whats new posts and ordering a pizza....ummmm pizza

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Looking at a tiny pincushion made from a small scrap of fabric that would otherwise have been binned.

Instead of being tipped on the land or ending up in the sea the fabric will fulfil a function for the next, oooh, 15 years or so that I'll hopefully be able to use it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Moving our bed so the Mrs can do some decorating.
How very gallant. :chuckle: *

Reminds me of when I was trying to dig up the horrific crazy paving that used to cover one side of our garden.

After a whole day I'd loosened and dragged up about a fifth of it with the shovel. Techy came home and watched for a bit, then said 'That's FAR too strenuous, here!' and pulled out his wallet.

I thought 'Woohoo, money, I can get a man in to do it!' :D

He handed over £20. 'What you need is pickaxe so you can really get under the slabs!'

:mad:

*Only joking. I love decorating but moving everything is a faff.