What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Stripping, cleaning, oiling & reassembling the bolt on my main stalking rifle. What a faff.

maximus otter
Don't forget the teak oil.

steampunk gun.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Heresy! Heresy against the Church of We’re All Going To Die!

l hereby sentence you to wear a mask for a period of not less than ten “30 days to save the NHS”; or until the heat death of the universe, whichever comes first.

maximus otter
I'm not saying what I was doing 5 minutes ago but I have washed my hands mate.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The second. You can't make people eat healthily or drink in moderation.

I was reading in the paper today that vegetarians have been proven to be far less likely to suffer nasty diseases like cancer than carnivores. We're always being told the number of veggies is on an upward curve, but according to this study, even smoking and drinking are far less likely to kill you if you don't eat meat. So maybe that will have an effect on life expectancy. I'll stick with being a teetotal non-smoker, though.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I was reading in the paper today that vegetarians have been proven to be far less likely to suffer nasty diseases like cancer than carnivores. We're always being told the number of veggies is on an upward curve, but according to this study, even smoking and drinking are far less likely to kill you if you don't eat meat. So maybe that will have an effect on life expectancy. I'll stick with being a teetotal non-smoker, though.
It might be that they die of malnutrition before they ever get to develop cancer.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yup, in adolescence I only knew about two types of cancer, lung and bowel.

I knew smoking was associated with lung cancer so I didn't take it up.

Bowel cancer was linked (even in the early '70s) to consumption of meat and later specifically to processed meats like bacon and sausages. Off it went! :chuckle:

There were other reasons for avoiding the fags and unhealthy foods but I certainly expected to dodge lung and colorectal cancer.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Yup, in adolescence I only knew about two types of cancer, lung and bowel.

I knew smoking was associated with lung cancer so I didn't take it up.

Bowel cancer was linked (even in the early '70s) to consumption of meat and later specifically to processed meats like bacon and sausages. Off it went! :chuckle:

There were other reasons for avoiding the fags and unhealthy foods but I certainly expected to dodge lung and colorectal cancer.
Part 2 took my Mum out last May.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was having a conversation with a 22 year old man who was originally from Eritrea. When he was 14 years old he, together with his friends from his town, left their town on foot. They travelled through Eritrea into Sudan then onto Ethiopia and then onto Libya. From he illegally crossed to Italy. Travelled through Italy up into France. Then to Calais and then, an illegal boat trip to England.

Out of the group he left his town with he lost all of them along the way. He's 14 remember.

Regardless of your political views on such matters what an amazing human story.

I asked him if he was ever scared. He said no, because he was just a kid- brave and fearless and it's what all the kids from his town do and did.

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Making pancakes and the savoury filling. For lunch we're having pancakes with onions, peppers and mushrooms in a chilli bean sauce – I cheat by using a tin of beans in a sweet chilli sauce but it's a very easy and reasonably healthy lunch, especially as it will be served with salad (and cheese on the pancakes that will be finished under the grill).

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
Sorting out tax and insurance for my new car :comphit:
Thanks for making me feel less bad about not being able to drive or afford a car ... at least I don't have that headache! Every cloud an' all that!

Sollywos x

Sollywos

Reaction score
Aww im sorry :( ive been without a car for over 2 years and only a loa from my folks has enabled me to get this one bought, taxed and insured
No need for the sad face! I was just feeling pleased with the reminder that there is an upside to not being a car owner. Ok there are plenty of downsides as you no doubt discovered during the previous 2 years! Pleased your folks were able to help you out and you are all sorted now! :)

Sollywos x

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Making pancakes and the savoury filling. For lunch we're having pancakes with onions, peppers and mushrooms in a chilli bean sauce – I cheat by using a tin of beans in a sweet chilli sauce but it's a very easy and reasonably healthy lunch, especially as it will be served with salad (and cheese on the pancakes that will be finished under the grill).
I was making a double-Gloucester cheese sandwich, which I am now about to go and eat!:)

Sollywos

Reaction score
Giving myself an avatar! Looking for my bluebell photos I came across this one which I'd cropped for another forum ages ago so it was ready to go!

I really wanted to use one of the original 'Sollywos' ie the gollywog that my gran knitted for me when I was little but he was in a group photo with the rest of my emotional support team, Big Ted and Thread Bare Ted Bear.

This in case you were wondering is one of my many, many UFO's ... no not Fortean UFO's,* crafters ones. It's going to be the middle of an optical illusions quilt.

Sollywos x

*Unfinished objects.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Many years ago I uploaded a close-up of a bumhole as my avatar.

An eagle-eyed moderator (the long-lost Emps) spotted it and asked me to remove the balloon knot. :chuckle:

After some banter and enough time to back down with dignity I swapped it out for the animated bellydancing snail.

MUCH more wholesome! :)