What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Just tried to Ramsay Bolton the top of my little finger. The swede was smaller and tougher than I gave it credit for. Luckily it wasn't the best knife.

I instinctively shoved my finger in my mouth and then thought better of it, and put it under running water instead. Strange how that happens. Followed up by a plaster, which is wrapped awkwardly around the top joint. Whatever happened to nicely contoured plasters designed for the more weirdly shaped body parts?

Whilst I like cooking, I am obviously slapdash as I am forever burning myself or cutting my hands - and I'm lethal with a peeler, as my various mangled fingernails will attest.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Just tried to Ramsay Bolton the top of my little finger. The swede was smaller and tougher than I gave it credit for. Luckily it wasn't the best knife.

I instinctively shoved my finger in my mouth and then thought better of it, and put it under running water instead. Strange how that happens. Followed up by a plaster, which is wrapped awkwardly around the top joint. Whatever happened to nicely contoured plasters designed for the more weirdly shaped body parts?

Whilst I like cooking, I am obviously slapdash as I am forever burning myself or cutting my hands - and I'm lethal with a peeler, as my various mangled fingernails will attest.
You can get fingertip and knuckle plasters or you can cut larger plasters into more useful shapes.

81H2l0HsyWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Ah, but what shape is a sausage?
You're trying to catch me out by getting me to mention solid cylinders or suchlike, at which point you'll triumphantly pull out your trump card of Scottish square sausage slices.

What shape is a sausage dog?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The sausage is the shape. Sausage rolls aren't made with sausages. They have sausage meat in them.
I must take issue with this - agreed, sausage rolls are made with sausage meat but they're not sausage shaped.

Yours etc.

coincidentally as I type this, on the radio they're talking about the great EU/N.Ireland sausage outrage.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
coincidentally as I type this, on the radio they're talking about the great EU/N.Ireland sausage outrage.
How dare they attack our sausages!
Britain used to have the finest sausages. Regulation and flavour-extraction killed all of that stone dead.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
You can get fingertip and knuckle plasters or you can cut larger plasters into more useful shapes.

View attachment 40741
Ooh, they look nice! :)

You can just snip regular plasters to shape for fiddly applications.
All very ingenious, if hard to do when your fingers are dangling with bleeding with flaps of skin. :chuckle:

I like plasters and will always take an interest in a new type.

(As I've mentioned, as a child I was only allowed one dressing per wound and would repair plasters with sticky tape or even once by sewing it together to stop it falling off a finger.
Nobody ever removed a plaster to see how an injury of mine was healing. One has to conclude that nobody cared much. :(

When I had my own family I'd buy loads of cheap plasters and I taught my kids to check wounds and change plasters as required. They could cut one to size off a roll and fit it themselves.

Undreamed-of luxury to me! :chuckle:

I also took them for medical attention after accidents like 'falls from height' and head injuries. Nobody did that for me either.)

Last edited:

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Ooh, they look nice! :)

You can just snip regular plasters to shape for fiddly applications.
All very ingenious, if hard to do when your fingers are dangling with bleeding with flaps of skin. :chuckle:

I like plasters and will always take an interest in a new type.

(As I've mentioned, as a child I was only allowed one dressing per wound and would repair plasters with sticky tape or even once by sewing it together to stop it falling off a finger.
Nobody ever removed a plaster to see how an injury of mine was healing. One has to conclude that nobody cared much. :(

When I had my own family I'd buy loads of cheap plasters and I taught my kids to check wounds and change plasters as required. They could cut one to size off a roll and fit it themselves.

Undreamed-of luxury to me! :chuckle:

I also took them for medical attention after accidents like 'falls from height' head and injuries. Nobody did that for me either.)
Working on building sites, i usually adopted the peice of blue roll and electrical tape method of dealing with minor cuts :)

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
It looked like rain so I went outside to fetch my duvet cover in off the line, only to find that there was a tea towel trapped in its lining and it was not yet dry. So I hung them both out separately.

And, of course, it's now raining...

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Well, I certainly have a collection. It's not about just owning them though, I like to have them ready for use and have found a bewilderingly huge range in these busy modern times.
I'm kinda going down this route too, having sustained all kinds of minor injuries that never heal immediately.
My current faves are made by Hydraseal.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Working on building sites, i usually adopted the peice of blue roll and electrical tape method of dealing with minor cuts :)
Aha, oil workers first used petroleum jelly for that! You utilise whatever you can pick up. Employee ingenuity. :cool:

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Don't remember plasters as a kid but can remember my Grandad saying
"Nail a board on it"

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Don't remember plasters as a kid but can remember my Grandad saying
"Nail a board on it"
Guess that explains all the large holes, eh?

Sid

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Sid

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Waking up my 1945/6 Ariel NG and adjusting tick over.

Wonder what veggie sausage rolls taste like?
Waking up my 1945/6 Ariel NG and adjusting tick over.

Wonder what veggie sausage rolls taste like?
Not sure about tick-over, or veggie sausage rolls... that's a pretty old 'banger' you've got right there! :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
sausage rolls are made with sausage meat but they're not sausage shaped.
The sausage shape is named after the meat preparation which is traditionally encased in pig intestine.

You can have a 'sausage' of anything squidgy, like a 'sausage' of clay for making ceramics.

A haggis is a sausage with a stomach instead of intestine for a casing. Lovely.

Also, 'sausage' is a euphemism for 'penis'. My favourite use of the term.

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
"sausage (n.)
mid-15c., sawsyge, from Old North French saussiche (Modern French saucisse), from Vulgar Latin *salsica "sausage," from salsicus "seasoned with salt," from Latin salsus "salted," from past participle of Old Latin sallere "to salt," from sal (genitive salis) "salt" (from PIE root *sal- "salt")."

https://www.etymonline.com/word/sausage

Sausage = seasoned with salt/salted.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've been sliding around Etsy looking at aprons made from recycled jeans.

Aprons are a fad of mine. I've made myself loads over the years. They always have pockets and are wholly practical but they have to look smart too.

The denim ones are nice.
Some are cute 'Farm Girl' style with flowery trims. Could I carry that look, d'you think? :chuckle: