What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
I was wondering what that quiet scraping sound was that only I could hear. It's gone on for a few days and I'd begun to wonder if it was a damaged power cable fizzing away on its mission to burn my house down.

After I switched everything off it was still there, so I opened a drawer next to the sofa and found...

... an upturned aerosol can top with TWO BLACK BEETLES IN IT trying to climb out.

Being aware of the possibility that they might be Techy (or some other unfortunate) and me in some parallel existence, after scraping myself off the ceiling I set them free in the garden.
I can imagine...
images-58.jpeg

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Retrieving Stanley from next door neighbour's pond.

He'd been missing for ages. He must have fallen in the stream and not been able to get out, so he'd followed it downstream - through a tunnel - down a little weir, and got trapped in the pond. She heard him crying and called me. He's not hurt but upset and confused.

I'd looked everywhere else but her garden is securely fenced and it never occurred to me he could be in it.

Thank goodness there's not much water in the pond in summer.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
That dog is indestructible.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I was wondering what that quiet scraping sound was that only I could hear. It's gone on for a few days and I'd begun to wonder if it was a damaged power cable fizzing away on its mission to burn my house down.

After I switched everything off it was still there, so I opened a drawer next to the sofa and found...

... an upturned aerosol can top with TWO BLACK BEETLES IN IT trying to climb out.

Being aware of the possibility that they might be Techy (or some other unfortunate) and me in some parallel existence, after scraping myself off the ceiling I set them free in the garden.
Sounds like a David Cronenberg film, though the bugs wouldn’t be freed. You might still be (splattered) on the ceiling though :omg:

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I nearly convinced myself I could afford another metal detector coil (£199) from Ebay, as today is quadruple Nectar points day. But just got an email asking me to renew my TV licence (£159).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've been sitting very still in the garden. Dusk is approaching and I can hear distant planes and trains, neighbours sitting out chatting, the odd dog barking and some frogs croaking. Frogs!

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score
I've been sitting very still in the garden. Dusk is approaching and I can hear distant planes and trains, neighbours sitting out chatting, the odd dog barking and some frogs croaking. Frogs!
Cool. Right inside a moment. I need one of those soon. Far too windy rainy for one outside.

Our country has recently gone back into lockdown. I’m essential services so have to work for my pay still. Was eating my brunch in the lunchroom with Olympic tv going to no attention from anyone whatsoevs. Wake me up when the women’s beach volleyball is on. Or the reiki, self-flagellation or being eaten by a crocodile.

Bicycle riding? Yawn.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
My bedroom fan (not Techy, my other 'bedroom fan') has packed up so I was doing the Fuse Dance.
To no avail, sadly. :(
Not meaning to rub it in but I wouldn't be able to cope at the moment without my bedroom fan on all night at the moment. The Mrs told me last night it's bad for me to leave it all night. That's a new one on me. Has anyone else here heard this advice before?.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Not meaning to rub it in but I wouldn't be able to cope at the moment without my bedroom fan on all night at the moment. The Mrs told me last night it's bad for me to leave it all night. That's a new one on me. Has anyone else here heard this advice before?.
Yes ... When I was a child my mother would position a fan in my bedroom so that it circulated air without blowing directly on me. In later years there were a couple of occasions when I slept with a fan blowing directly on / across me all night, and both times I awoke with my nasal passages and sinuses stuffed up. Some folks claim that having a direct draft across your body can over-cool you.

In adulthood I had opportunities to sleep in a room with a classic mid (20th) century hassock fan - a floor fan that drew air off the floor and circulated it upward in all directions so as to ventilate the whole room uniformly with no localized draft(s). This worked quite well. Here's a representative specimen:

HassockFan.jpeg

Hassock fans fell out of style when ceiling fans became fashionable (again) in the 1970s.

You can simulate a hassock fan (sorta) with a pivoting floor fan. Just point it straight up and let it run on low speed.

More generally ...

There's a well-known Korean urban legend to the effect that sleeping in a closed room with an electric fan operating all night might harm or even kill you. We have a thread about it:

Korean Fans Of Death (Deaths Via Electric Fans In Closed Spaces)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...aths-via-electric-fans-in-closed-spaces.4764/

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Techy was reading something out to me about that recently. It dries up your nose or summat. Scaremongering rubbish.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Last night was the first time in over a week I didn't have my fan on full blast all night

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My bedroom fan had packed up t'other night because unknown to me, there'd been a power cut and when the electricity came back on it blew the fuse.
The fan is plugged into a remote control socket so I had to reset that too. All was well in the end.

However, next night when it was working I dropped the remote at about 3am and it shot under the bed.
Had to grovel around for it. That was fun too. :rolleyes:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Last thing I did just now was make a load of orange juice and fresh pineapple smoothies. The Nutribullet deals easily with the tough pineapple cores so it all goes in.

The softer pineapple chunks went into a big bowl with a tub of soured cream for my breakfast. :cool:

Swifty

Reaction score
Yes ... When I was a child my mother would position a fan in my bedroom so that it circulated air without blowing directly on me. In later years there were a couple of occasions when I slept with a fan blowing directly on / across me all night, and both times I awoke with my nasal passages and sinuses stuffed up. Some folks claim that having a direct draft across your body can over-cool you.

In adulthood I had opportunities to sleep in a room with a classic mid (20th) century hassock fan - a floor fan that drew air off the floor and circulated it upward in all directions so as to ventilate the whole room uniformly with no localized draft(s). This worked quite well. Here's a representative specimen:

Hassock fans fell out of style when ceiling fans became fashionable (again) in the 1970s.

You can simulate a hassock fan (sorta) with a pivoting floor fan. Just point it straight up and let it run on low speed.

More generally ...

There's a well-known Korean urban legend to the effect that sleeping in a closed room with an electric fan operating all night might harm or even kill you. We have a thread about it:

Korean Fans Of Death (Deaths Via Electric Fans In Closed Spaces)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...aths-via-electric-fans-in-closed-spaces.4764/
I've got a pivoting 3 speed fan. Temperatures are expected to soar next week so it's a risk I'm willing to take.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've got a pivoting 3 speed fan. Temperatures are expected to soar next week so it's a risk I'm willing to take.
Mine is one of those but I don't mess around with the movement function. It stands at the foot of my bed on full power blowing straight up the short baggy legs of my summer pyjamas.

As an aside, it was interesting to learn just how flatulent I am at night.

Swifty

Reaction score
Mine is one of those but I don't mess around with the movement function. It stands at the foot of my bed on full power blowing straight up the short baggy legs of my summer pyjamas.

As an aside, it was interesting to learn just how flatulent I am at night.
Yeah, they blow flappy woof woofs straight back in your face don't they.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Trying to get my expensive, (relatively-) new HP Envy Pro printer to work.

I was simply trying to print off some B&W rifle targets from PDFs I have on my laptop, a task I've accomplished scores of time previously. This time? The printer simply sticks out its tin lower lip and snaps "No!" like a stroppy 2-year old.

I've powered the router on & off, also the printer. I've connected the two via hard cable to run HP's own diagnostic tool, only to find out that it's about as much use as Anne Frank's bagpipes. Rinse & repeat.

I currently have an expensive, awkward paperweight and a blood pressure in phone numbers.

Time for tiffin, I think.

maximus otter

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Trying to get my expensive, (relatively-) new HP Envy Pro printer to work.

I was simply trying to print off some B&W rifle targets from PDFs I have on my laptop, a task I've accomplished scores of time previously. This time? The printer simply sticks out its tin lower lip and snaps "No!" like a stroppy 2-year old.

I've powered the router on & off, also the printer. I've connected the two via hard cable to run HP's own diagnostic tool, only to find out that it's about as much use as Anne Frank's bagpipes. Rinse & repeat.

I currently have an expensive, awkward paperweight and a blood pressure in phone numbers.

Time for tiffin, I think.

maximus otter
Oh, there are cave paintings of early man bashing printers to death with rocks and my relationship with my printer is like that between John Connor and the Terminator. Typically, a printer that had been working perfectly for a couple of years decided to become a problem when I started working from home and had a shedload of documentation to print out. ‘I don’t like the wifi anymore. And I’ve become very, very thirsty so I want a lot more ink than usual’. I tried uninstalling and getting the latest drivers. I thought I’d buy a new one but everywhere was in lockdown…. and of course working from home too. Domestic Printers - like wifi dongles were suddenly in short supply.

In the end I bought a cable from amazon so at least I have some connection.
I reckon it’s the wifi or Bluetooth or something but I don’t want to give the damn thing the satisfaction of any more attention.