What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Oh, there are cave paintings of early man bashing printers to death with rocks and my relationship with my printer is like that between John Connor and the Terminator. Typically, a printer that had been working perfectly for a couple of years decided to become a problem when I started working from home and had a shedload of documentation to print out. ‘I don’t like the wifi anymore. And I’ve become very, very thirsty so I want a lot more ink than usual’. I tried uninstalling and getting the latest drivers. I thought I’d buy a new one but everywhere was in lockdown…. and of course working from home too. Domestic Printers - like wifi dongles were suddenly in short supply.

In the end I bought a cable from amazon so at least I have some connection.
I reckon it’s the wifi or Bluetooth or something but I don’t want to give the damn thing the satisfaction of any more attention.
I used my makita cordless jigsaw the other day, put the battery on charge, went to use it yesterday and it's not working, the battery is fine, the guide light on the saw lights up but no cutting will happen :mad:

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Had a bit of melon. It’s been years since I had a melon.
I have one in my fruit bowl now, I suppose I should eat it at some point.

20210724_135602.png

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Watching The Invisible Man Returns, with Vincent Price as the title character, and is only visibly on screen for two minutes, at most. Bela Lugosi was in Plan 9 From Outer Space for longer, and he was dead when production started!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Trying to get my expensive, (relatively-) new HP Envy Pro printer to work.

I was simply trying to print off some B&W rifle targets from PDFs I have on my laptop, a task I've accomplished scores of time previously. This time? The printer simply sticks out its tin lower lip and snaps "No!" like a stroppy 2-year old.

I've powered the router on & off, also the printer. I've connected the two via hard cable to run HP's own diagnostic tool, only to find out that it's about as much use as Anne Frank's bagpipes. Rinse & repeat.

I currently have an expensive, awkward paperweight and a blood pressure in phone numbers.

Time for tiffin, I think.

maximus otter

I had constant problems with HPEnvy as well, kept having to re-add the printer.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I was having antihistamine cream rubbed into the 25,000 or so insect bites and stings I collected on our ride today.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Not meaning to rub it in but I wouldn't be able to cope at the moment without my bedroom fan on all night at the moment. The Mrs told me last night it's bad for me to leave it all night. That's a new one on me. Has anyone else here heard this advice before?.
It can leave you dehydrated by morning, or your core body temperature may fall too low.
I doubt that it'd kill most people.
I've done it before and felt dehydrated and ill in the morning, with a backache.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I used my makita cordless jigsaw the other day, put the battery on charge, went to use it yesterday and it's not working, the battery is fine, the guide light on the saw lights up but no cutting will happen :mad:
Is the battery completely inserted? Check that. Also, check to see if there is an internal fuse.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
It can leave you dehydrated by morning, or your core body temperature may fall too low.
I doubt that it'd kill most people.
I've done it before and felt dehydrated and ill in the morning, with a backache.
To be fair though. most people don't drink enough clear fluids most of the time so they'll also forget to do that during a heatwave .. = dehydration.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Is the battery completely inserted? Check that. Also, check to see if there is an internal fuse.
I've checked all the bits that are easily accessible I will have to strip it down and delve more deeply, as I said there is power coming from the battery to the machine enough to power the guide light above the blade but the cutting jig has no power going to it.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Cursing Covid (again!) - during the current lockdown, bus services are now running on a Sunday timetable. One bus per hour. It's like being in the 1950s again! (not that I was around in the fifties, I was barely around in the seventies!)

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Cursing Covid (again!) - during the current lockdown, bus services are now running on a Sunday timetable. One bus per hour. It's like being in the 1950s again! (not that I was around in the fifties, I was barely around in the seventies!)
What do you mean 1950's? We only have 1 an hour here weekdays, not that we live in the country.
That's why I drive my daughter to the station.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
What do you mean 1950's? We only have 1 an hour here weekdays, not that we live in the country.
That's why I drive my daughter to the station.
It's one bus every half an hour here. More the closer you get to the city.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I was telling Escette about being haunted in a country lane. :omg:

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Screaming like a girl and ripping my t shirt off in the garden.

I'm removing two compost bins and their contents. I coaxed a massive spider out of compost bin, as phobic as I am of them I don't want to kill them.

A couple of minutes later I felt a tickle on the back of my neck. I scratched it and said massive spider ran down across the front of my t shirt. so I ripped off my t shirt sending said spider flying. It is now sat in the long grass.

A photo of said beastie:

27.07.21 - big spider crop.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Screaming like a girl and ripping my t shirt off in the garden.

I'm removing two compost bins and their contents. I coaxed a massive spider out of compost bin, as phobic as I am of them I don't want to kill them.

A couple of minutes later I felt a tickle on the back of my neck. I scratched it and said massive spider ran down across the front of my t shirt. so I ripped off my t shirt sending said spider flying. It is now sat in the long grass.

A photo of said beastie:

View attachment 42700
Well done for sparing it!

While I love spiders I'd still be rattled by one charging across my chest.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Mum did that last month, took 2 attempts
Yea, i only wanted to keep my old number, its sorted now, now i cant change my old address, even tho they sent my new sim to my new one the site doesn't want to accept it, even when it is all green, i give in, feck it, im to old for that crap, should be all ready by Thursday i think, is your mum staying with ASDA? She will get a free months bundle.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Yea, i only wanted to keep my old number, its sorted now, now i cant change my old address, even tho they sent my new sim to my new one the site doesn't want to accept it, even when it is all green, i give in, feck it, im to old for that crap, should be all ready by Thursday i think, is your mum staying with ASDA? She will get a free months bundle.
She got some free credit I seem to remember and her credit she had on the phone was carried over to the new sim,

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Yep ive got like 20p to carry over and the free bundle will come over then, then i will get their £20 one, unlimited data minutes and texts, ok its like 2mbps speed but im in no hurry :p