What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
In between cooking beetroot (I've left the damn stuff to its own devices as it's taking that long), I have fixed a radiator that wasn't working. If any of you have thermostatic radiator valves and find that one day one isn't working, eight or maybe nine times out of ten it's very easy to fix and will save you a fortune (especially if your plumber is dishonest). Open the valve to max- usually 5 or 6- and unscrew it by turning the bezel. It should be hand-tight but may need a spanner if it's not been touched in years. Lift of the top (ie the part with the numbers on), and you'll see a small, thick metal pin. If it's stuck down it means the rad is stuck off. Either way, give it a little bit of the old WD40 and gently tap the pin with a hammer to free it. Screw cap back on. Sometimes you can even free it just by gently tapping the side of the valve with a pice of wood. Even if your plumber is an honest type, they'd probably still charge you at least £50-60, so it's worth knowing about.

Allow me to once again shoehorn in my favourite radiator-based anecdote.

My son Escet was living in a Brussels apartment which was cosy apart from his chilly bedroom with the faulty radiator. The landlord had been no help with it.

I assumed it needed bleeding and suggested we have a look. Escet was sceptical. What did I know of foreign plumbing?

The problem was of course air in the radiator and we didn't even need a special key to bleed it, just a screwdriver. I showed Escet how to do it and we gave them all a thorough going-over while we were at it.

He's never lived down the time he, a PhD physicist, didn't know that air and water don't mix... :wink2:

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Allow me to once again shoehorn in my favourite radiator-based anecdote.

My son Escet was living in a Brussels apartment which was cosy apart from his chilly bedroom with the faulty radiator. The landlord had been no help with it.

I assumed it needed bleeding and suggested we have a look. Escet was sceptical. What did I know of foreign plumbing?

The problem was of course air in the radiator and we didn't even need a special key to bleed it, just a screwdriver. I showed Escet how to do it and we gave them all a thorough going-over while we were at it.

He's never lived down the time he, a PhD physicist, didn't know that air and water don't mix... :wink2:
Ha! Yes. It's much easier these days of course what with 'the youtube' showing you how to fix things yourself.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Ha! Yes. It's much easier these days of course what with 'the youtube' showing you how to fix things yourself.
And tips from you! :)

I was instructed on radiator-bleeding by a kind plumber who gave detailed instructions over the phone.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Got delivery of replacement wing mirror unit for car. Should fit as I gave the dealer my reg number from which they got all the details. Wanted to replace rear panel with original one so it would remain colour-matched - different shape !

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
In between cooking beetroot (I've left the damn stuff to its own devices as it's taking that long), I have fixed a radiator that wasn't working. If any of you have thermostatic radiator valves and find that one day one isn't working, eight or maybe nine times out of ten it's very easy to fix and will save you a fortune (especially if your plumber is dishonest). Open the valve to max- usually 5 or 6- and unscrew it by turning the bezel. It should be hand-tight but may need a spanner if it's not been touched in years. Lift of the top (ie the part with the numbers on), and you'll see a small, thick metal pin. If it's stuck down it means the rad is stuck off. Either way, give it a little bit of the old WD40 and gently tap the pin with a hammer to free it. Screw cap back on. Sometimes you can even free it just by gently tapping the side of the valve with a pice of wood. Even if your plumber is an honest type, they'd probably still charge you at least £50-60, so it's worth knowing about.
My plumber, who is a good fellow, showed me this very thing as you describe.
Mind you, he thinks nothing of giving it a massive wallop.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's good then. You don't want to be too rough though or the pin can come out. Which isn't a problem if you can find it.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A plumber once charged an old lady £30 for a small plastic part that goes in the toilet cistern (the 'old' style ones with the handle which are becoming rarer now.) They're about 20p. In fact, the plumbers merchant once gave me one for free as they're so cheap.
I hate to see people being ripped off like that, especially you lot.
Maybe we need a 'DIY/Mechanics type thread?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Got delivery of replacement wing mirror unit for car. Should fit as I gave the dealer my reg number from which they got all the details. Wanted to replace rear panel with original one so it would remain colour-matched - different shape !
Sorted.

mirror cd.jpg

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Loaded 8 bags (50Lts) of organic compost from the Garden Centre into Brother's car on Saturday. Just received text : "Half a can of febreeze and the car still stinks."
Legend.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
Trying to remember how the central heating timer works so i can get the heating to come on automatically in the morning. Had to print off the instructions, which are 4 pages of A4 in very small type. 4 pages! Having just got a smart meter this week the timer may be going back to off very shortly though

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Trying to remember how the central heating timer works so i can get the heating to come on automatically in the morning. Had to print off the instructions, which are 4 pages of A4 in very small type. 4 pages! Having just got a smart meter this week the timer may be going back to off very shortly though
Not sure what type you've got, but some of those timers are bloomin ridiculous. I had one that was unfathomable so I never used the timer setting. As for smart meters; we've found that they're useful at first to see what appliance uses how much power, but we rarely bother with it now. We have a small electric heater and on the one setting it just about stays in the green, so they can be useful so at least you know roughly what you're using.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Looking at the Bureau Of Meteorology website, and seeing if there will be any more storms tonight. Chances are 40% and below for the rest of tonight.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I am watching American Foot Ball at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London this Sunday in front of a sell out crowd.

I am surprised at the English interest in American Foot Ball.
My cousin Paul is really into it. He's mostly a rugby fan, but he likes to watch the 'strategy' slowly unfold over the course of a much longer American Football match. I think he finds it relaxing to watch.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This seems like one of the least eco-friendly sporting ventures ever undertaken - American League teams flown over to play in England. Can you imagine the Spanish La Liga football matches being played here?

I know Spurs have got to finance their new stadium but FFS.. Last week before the game there was a flyover of F15s/F16s or somesuch.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I am watching American Foot Ball at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London this Sunday in front of a sell out crowd.

I am surprised at the English interest in American Foot Ball.
Up until I was around 12-13 I used to love playing football (soccer) but have absolutely no interest in it since then.
Around the mid 80s they started to show American football on tv and I really got into it. It really is a great game (and I'm not a 'team sports' fan as a rule), but they started to show it later and later on tv and I just couldn't stay awake, so I gradually stopped watching. These Sunday games from London that they've recently started showing are good, but there are quite a few different teams now to when I watched it.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Up until I was around 12-13 I used to love playing football (soccer) but have absolutely no interest in it since then.
Around the mid 80s they started to show American football on tv and I really got into it. It really is a great game (and I'm not a 'team sports' fan as a rule), but they started to show it later and later on tv and I just couldn't stay awake, so I gradually stopped watching. These Sunday games from London that they've recently started showing are good, but there are quite a few different teams now to when I watched it.
Yes the 'Raiders' have moved home at least 3 times

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Getting our latest kidnap victim ready for her trip to the little piggie hospital. Meet Minnie:

Hedgehog-Minnie-18-10-21-01.jpg

I found her by our hedgehog feeder in the garden yesterday in broad daylight: not a good sign in piglets.

She weighs in at a measly 239g/half a pound, and has eaten very little of the two varieties of food with which we tempted her overnight.

Our local hedgehog liaison lady is swamped at the moment, and can't take in any new piggies unless they're visibly injured, which Minnie isn't.

Accordingly, I'm taking her (we haven't actually sexed him/her, but the mem instantly decided that "she" was to be called Minnie...) to a nearby zoo/animal hospital. Hopefully they'll fatten her up enough for us to have her back and finish the job, ensuring that she'll attain the weight she needs in order to survive hibernation in one of our hogitats.

Say "Bye-bye, Minnie!"

maximus otter

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Getting our latest kidnap victim ready for her trip to the little piggie hospital. Meet Minnie:

Hedgehog-Minnie-18-10-21-01.jpg

Hopefully they'll fatten her up enough for us to have her back and finish the job, ensuring that she'll attain the weight......

maximus otter
I must be getting cynical. I was expecting an entirely different end to that sentence.