What Were You Doing Five Minutes Ago?

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
jimv1 said:
Really? Is this what we've come to?
The greatest tool for gathering information and galvanising human thought and this is it?

You may as well ask what have you been doing with your life and the answer is WASTING IT.
Agreed.

I got a cramp in my index finger while picking my nose.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I was applying the advice I'd sought regarding the 'unresponsive script' problem on Firefox. Facebook kept grinding to a halt. I'm looking forward to seeing it run properly.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Farting.

MercuryCrest

The Severed Head of a Great Old One.
Reaction score
Checking to see if my chicken thighs had thawed yet. They hadn't, so I read an article on giant-robot-fighting-machines.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Catching a huge spider that can run faster than me. :shock:

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
Been having an entertaining time watching videos about shopping in foreign grocery stores, and other cross-cultural surprises. I've learned lots of things I'd never considered before, like: you have to rent a shopping cart in Britain ( :shock: ) you have to pay extra for condiment packets in Australia, that "bacon'" in England is actually what we call Canadian bacon (which puzzles Canadians as there's nothing especially Canadian about it) that Canadian milk comes in bags, and that it's considered very rude to be a picky eater in Japan.

My favorite was probably the enthusiastic British teen who had discovered Pop Tarts. :p But I suppose this is something like how we perceive Jammy Dodgers - a rare and expensive delicacy we usually only hear about from TV. :lol:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Finishing brunch: green & orange pepper omelette with coleslaw, hovis buns, coffee and oj.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Washing cutlery and pouring a pint of Red Bull.
No wing growth yet.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
bunnymousekitt said:
you have to rent a shopping cart in Britain ( :shock: )
It's a returnable deposit.
Also, they're known as trolleys in the U.K. - carts make us think of horses and muddy tracks.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
garrick92 said:
Concluding an exceedingly compliant and satisfactory digestive transit that has left me feeling aglow with detoxification.
Also known as a Number 2? :)

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
theyithian said:
That's good to know. I was wondering.
Also, they're known as trolleys in the U.K. - carts make us think of horses and muddy tracks.
Yes, but a trolley is an electric rail transport. :p Yes, I know, but I can't use British terminology, even if it sounds better. Just like those extra U's. They can use 'em over the border in Canada but here it's considered putting on airs. Ah well.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
garrick92 said:
They are operated on a pound-coin-placed-in-slot mechanism that unlocks the endmost trolley from the queue of interpenetrating unused trolleys, so your pound coin travels around inside the trolley's handlebar while you do your shop, then when you return your trolley to the queue, you pop together a sort of 'seat belt' mechanism linking it to the next trolley and hey presto, your pound coin pops out again.

Much easier to visualise than to explain.

For some unfathomable reason, there is a subculture of people who buy 'fake' one pound coins (which are the same size and shape, but otherwise non-resembling the original) with which to 'cheat' this system. I do pretend to understand what on earth such people think they are accomplishing by doing so.
Thanks for explaining. I was wondering that, too. No one on the videos showed how they went about getting the coin back afterwards.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
garrick92 said:
bunnymousekitt said:
theyithian said:
That's good to know. I was wondering.
They are operated on a pound-coin-placed-in-slot mechanism that unlocks the endmost trolley from the queue of interpenetrating unused trolleys, so your pound coin travels around inside the trolley's handlebar while you do your shop, then when you return your trolley to the queue, you pop together a sort of 'seat belt' mechanism linking it to the next trolley and hey presto, your pound coin pops out again.

Much easier to visualise than to explain.

For some unfathomable reason, there is a subculture of people who buy 'fake' one pound coins (which are the same size and shape, but otherwise non-resembling the original) with which to 'cheat' this system. I do pretend to understand what on earth such people think they are accomplishing by doing so.
Could they possibly swap carts with someone else in a "mix-up" and get a real pound back?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Much less interesting than the bacon thing.

Our "Back Bacon" consists of the (Canadian)loin and a fattier bit. Our Middle-Cut is a curved, double-length rasher which contains all that plus a section of "streaky." Our "Streaky" is the belly-bit which is most delicious, because it is highest in fat. This seems to be the standard American cut.

Smoked Back and Smoked Streaky seem to be widely available with more-or-less equal popularity. Smoked Middle is probably available but I don't recall seeing it.

Guess what I want in a sandwich now! :)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I know two people who belong to this subculture! Both say it's because they will never spend the token and so find themselves without a coin for the trolley!

I also know that one of them dusts their lightbulbs daily.

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
I've been making random and deliberate fun of the world with my 6yo daughter for the last 15 minutes, including 'climbing up the dad' and 'jimmy flips'. We now "have to rest and watch TV together ~ Star Wars Family Guy". 8)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I was trying to organise collecting my 83 year-old mother for a hospital appointment tomorrow.

She can't grasp that I need to set out either before 8am or after 9am to avoid the horrible traffic, and that if I collect her at 9:05 am we'll have plenty of time to get there.

She thinks I should pick her up at 8:30 (giving us ONE HOUR for a 10-minute drive plus 10 minutes' walking/booking in) and that my brother in law Ben would come at that time if she asked him because, well, he's a man and he can do anything.

The fact that Ben lives at the other end of town and would have to either drive through the town centre or around it, in rush-hour, and so would need to set off at about 07:45 to make it doesn't register even though I explained it. Old people, eh. :roll:

I may ring her again later to wind her up a bit so she'll cancel me and get Ben to dop it instead. Less trouble that way. :lol:

ruffready

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was looking at the stock Market. I have a few stocks I own. It's been crazy hahaha! All my good ones or ok..like SIRI..hoping that one will go back to what it was a few weeks ago..

Cultjunky

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
ramonmercado said:
Could they possibly swap carts with someone else in a "mix-up" and get a real pound back?[/quote]

It's not to cheat the system, it's because a lot of folks go to a cash machine and withdraw notes, so are without a pound coin. The 'fakes' cost a pound, but as you can't spend them, you have always got a coin for the trolley slot.

More of an old folk thing though.

Cultjunky

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I was just explaining something that Frideswide said much more succinctly. :oops:

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The trolley tokens are often sold in charity shops, so "help" the charity.
I personally keep one in my swimming- stuff bag , so I don't suddenly find that I haven't got the £1 for the locker.
I KNOW I could simply keep a £1 coin in the bag instead, but I might spend it and forget to replace it.
(Yes, Cultjunky, I expect you're right -it's an old age thing!)

ruffready

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was making coffee.. just added a milk no sugar. Let my black cat out to go do it's trouble (kept him inside because Halloween yesterday) he about ran me over ..to go out and visit his friends..hahah!!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm on the sofa, relaxing after work, and five minutes ago I was scraping two cats away from my face so I could seem my Macbook. :roll:

They've settled down now and I'm surfing and watching Grey's Anatomy.

(Which today features a patient who is apparently psychic, though the staff believe his 'visions' are actually seizures. Something that interests me a lot.)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally working out how to do an avatar again!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
..... a patient who is apparently psychic, though the staff believe his 'visions' are actually seizures. Something that interests me a lot ...
escagot1, my ex girlfriend (we were together for 7 years) was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia so one day out of her frustration of every one thinking she was "just mad" got me to sit beside her on a bed and mentally project, just in front of my face, the four primary colours without telling her what they were. She got my projections right every time. I like to think she wasn't just tricking me..

Loquaciousness

The misuse of the word "fact" annoys me
Reaction score
escagot1, my ex girlfriend (we were together for 7 years) was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia so one day out of her frustration of every one thinking she was "just mad" got me to sit beside her on a bed and mentally project, just in front of my face, the four primary colours without telling her what they were. She got my projections right every time. I like to think she wasn't just tricking me..
Red!

Schwadevivre

Antitheist
Reaction score
Admiring Monstrosa's swollen glands - and that she may have an infection