• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

Maybe you were exposed to Tommy Steele at a tender age?
I was! Mum took us to see him as Hans Christian Anderson at the London Palladium. And his school near to the south side of Tower Bridge joined with another school near to Millwall FC to become the Scott Lidgett School in Drummond Road which was my secondary school.
“Inch worm, inch worm, measuring the marigolds...”

I was! Mum took us to see him as Hans Christian Anderson at the London Palladium. And his school near to the south side of Tower Bridge joined with another school near to Millwall FC to become the Scott Lidgett School in Drummond Road which was my secondary school.
“Inch worm, inch worm, measuring the marigolds...”

My first memory of Tommy was either Quincy's Quest or Half a Sixpence, saw half of both of them (my parents were strict about sending me to bed at a fixed time).

My first memory of Tommy was either Quincy's Quest or Half a Sixpence, saw half of both of them (my parents were strict about sending me to bed at a fixed time).
As it should be, good lesson there for modern parents.

I never knew my mother's real age until we threw her a big party for her 50th, and even then I wasn't convinced.
We did not definitely know our mother age until she became terminally ill- she lied about it when she decided to came to England and the habit stuck.

Tapioca was tropical frogs eggs

Local Public Libraries had underground storage with all the books hidden there
Some public libraries had/ have civil defence bunkers under them, now probabaly used as storage. perhaps someone mentioned this or you spotted the doors on some subconscious level.

My ageing mum's a Tommy Steel fan so I thought I'd try to get a signed picture of him for her – she's pretty much housebound. I wrote to his agent explaining my request and a week or two later a personally signed picture arrived. I was dead chuffed, my mum was chuffed so Tommy can do no wrong in my book!! And he's looking good seeing he's only a couple of years younger than my parents...

My ageing mum's a Tommy Steel fan so I thought I'd try to get a signed picture of him for her – she's pretty much housebound. I wrote to his agent explaining my request and a week or two later a personally signed picture arrived. I was dead chuffed, my mum was chuffed so Tommy can do no wrong in my book!! And he's looking good seeing he's only a couple of years younger than my parents...

That's really nice! He sometimes gets a bit of a Cilla Black "Don't you know who I am?!" reputation from some people, but your story demonstrates he's a decent bloke.

Right, that's @balding13 off the list of potential child-minders.

When I was at Primary school I ask my Teacher, 'if warm air rises, why isn't it hot on the top of mountains ?'.
'Ha ha' she replied 'you must ask the Headmistress that one' and she took me out of Class to visit the HM (who was about 90).
'young BB has a question for you Headmistress - go on ask her'
if warm air rises, why isn't it hot on the top of mountains ?'.
'Ha ha, that's a very good question, well done - now run off back to Class.'

So 50 years ago marked the end of my erroneous childhood belief that Teachers knew the answers to questions, even Science ones.

Right, that's @balding13 off the list of potential child-minders.

When I was at Primary school I ask my Teacher, 'if warm air rises, why isn't it hot on the top of mountains ?'.
'Ha ha' she replied 'you must ask the Headmistress that one' and she took me out of Class to visit the HM (who was about 90).
'young BB has a question for you Headmistress - go on ask her'
if warm air rises, why isn't it hot on the top of mountains ?'.
'Ha ha, that's a very good question, well done - now run off back to Class.'

So 50 years ago marked the end of my erroneous childhood belief that Teachers knew the answers to questions, even Science ones.
Well I used to help the ex who was a child minder. Anyway, I think you have failed to understand my post. I WASN'T the skinner.

As a little kid, I went through a phase of believing that if you stood in one spot and spun round a few times, you then had to spin back round the exact same number of times or something terrible would happen and nothing would ever be the same again.

As a little kid, I went through a phase of believing that if you stood in one spot and spun round a few times, you then had to spin back round the exact same number of times or something terrible would happen and nothing would ever be the same again.
...and you had to guess how many steps to the next lampost... If you got it wrong, then you had to keep doing this until you were spot on. Otherwise...

And then there were paving stones.... See if you stepped on one of the joins...
There was a great cartoon sketch Gary Larson did which I've just been unsuccessful in trying to re find .. just a doodle he called 'at the hospital for Mothers who's children stepped on sidewalk cracks' .. all the windows are open with the mums drawn on hospital beds, legs raised with pulleys etc ..

edit.. couldn't find a bigger version of it:

alarson.jpg

Last edited:

Isn't that just a way of not getting dizzy? Spin around ten times in one direction, you'll get dizzy, but immediately after do the same in the other direction and your inner ear rights itself and cancels out the dizziness.

Back