• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Would You Like To Happen To You?

glamour_dust

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A strange idea popped into my head on the drive home from work. I drive through a 15 minute stretch of country road and quiet woodland before meeting civilization again. Usually the traffic is light and I'm listening to the radio. Today however I left work late and the area was even quieter than normal with no other cars but mine. I also kept the radio off. For maybe the first time I took a moment to concentrate on the beauty of the natural environment surrounding me - and I admired the sound of the wind through the trees and grass. Then I realised that I probably wouldn't mind seeing some forest strangeness. Forest spirits are part of the folklore here, and the idea of strangeness lurking in the great outdoors appeals to me. I guess I felt fairly safe and that i'd have a good chance of driving off unharmed if I did see something.
It made me wonder what type of fortean event others would choose to experience if they could. I probably just have a bad case of "forteana on the brain" :roll: ,but, anyone care to respond?

Well, as long as yer asking so polite and all ...

I'd prefer to see Leprechauns dancing around a pot o' gold coins. And I'd prefer to see the little blighters run away in fright, so's I get the pot o' gold !!!!

(You can keep yer aliens and such, no profit there :)

Dana said:
Then I realised that I probably wouldn't mind seeing some forest strangeness. Forest spirits are part of the folklore here, and the idea of strangeness lurking in the great outdoors appeals to me.

I enjoy seeing those things too. Air and water spirits, also.

Me, I'd like to see a UFO, any one that was unambiguously not-of-this-earth. Just so I'd be able to settle my own internal debate as to whether the freakin things are real.

Prof Pretorius said:
I'd prefer to see Leprechauns dancing around a pot o' gold coins. And I'd prefer to see the little blighters run away in fright, so's I get the pot o' gold !!!!
Twouldn't do 'ee no good, fairy gold just turns to dust in your hand...

[or so I am told!]

sundog said:
Me, I'd like to see a UFO, any one that was unambiguously not-of-this-earth. Just so I'd be able to settle my own internal debate as to whether the freakin things are real.
Me too!

Or even to be sure they are of this Earth, even if not part of what we (probably foolishly) think of as Reality...

going through the most commonly featured fortean occurrances...

i'd rather not see poltergeist, shadow creatures, aliens from a short distance.
i'd love to see dogheaded men from a distance (say from my car) and unmistekeably unhuman ufos (UUUs) (i've seen a weird lantern-shaped thing dancing in the sky once).
i've experienced panic in the woods, i thought there was a ghost in my house when i first moved in but then it didn't manifest itself any further, that's it. i wouldn't mind some PK, i have to say.

Would love to see something like dogheaded men, stick men, or shadow men but from a safe distance too. I'd love to see/experience forest spirits, and would definitely love to see a bigfoot. When I was in the Rockies I kept my eyes peeled but nothing (lots of other critters though).

Speaking more generally, what has always intrigued me are stories of 'high strangeness'...would love to have one or two events like that, so long as they weren't too freaky. I love the unclassifiable.

Edit: would love to see my Sam cat again. When he was dying I actually thought that if any critter was going to come back to say goodbye it would be him.

I really shouldn't be on this site so much.

I'd like a full-scale time-slip, like those women who found themselves in 18th century Versailles or the people who stayed in a hotel in France that didn't exist in the present day.

Time travel is the thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing some fairies, the folkloric variety, not the mimsy story-book or New-Agey variety.

I'm quite taken with Timble's time-slip. Perhaps if it could happen whilst visiting Rome or Greece...

Or, similarly, you've read the Shadow out of Time, I take it? Well, that would be amazing - perils be damned. Where's my Yithian mind-switch?

Any supernatural event that demonstrated, however hazily, a persistence of human personality after death in some form would be nice.

It'd also have profound personal consequences for the rest of one's life, regardless of whether anybody else believed it.

I would rather like to see a sea serpent -- from a safe vantagepoint, and clearly enough and long enough to be able to both take some nice photos and just watch it for a bit.

Something about that creature over all the others really fascinates me. It'd be frightening as all get-out, but worth it I think.

Renigirl said:
I would rather like to see a sea serpent -- from a safe vantagepoint, and clearly enough and long enough to be able to both take some nice photos and just watch it for a bit.
I work by the waterside, and usually have a camera with me, so I reckon the only time a sea serpent will appear will be the day I forget my camera! :(

What a great idea for a thread.

I'd like to see a UFO of the silver disk variety, or maybe a cigar shaped one. I'd also like it to be one that's really clear and unambiguous.

Faries would be good too - any kind of sprite or elemental etc.

Dogheaded men would also be grrreat.

Telepathy or PK would be really cool. (I've had possible minor experiences of both. )

I wouldn't like to see either a Grey or a poltergeist. They both freak me out too much. When I was a young kid I kept dreaming of poltergeists, where (for example) I'd be in my room talking to my dad and then objects would start moving about. I hated those dreams. :shock:

ANYTHING fortean would be nice as ive never had a unexplainable experience that doesn't involve alcohol.

Id like to:
see it rain fish or frogs,
have a precog dream that is absolutley spot on,
meet any variety of the animal headed men,
meet a bona fide grey or nordic (just as long as the grey doesnt start any dodgy probing),
timeslip (just a visit - no staying).

Not on the list:
polt,
possesion,
gnomes - they are just too creepy

I'd like to meet a Leprechaun who would lead me to a pot of gold……

Or perhaps witness Robbie Williams being mauled and eventually eaten by an ABC on Exmoor…..can you see Angels now Robbie ?? can you ??

Number one experience would have to be meeting a genie and getting three wishes……. What would the 3 wishes be ??..... loadsa money, world peace and something involving Kylie which would be far too rude to mention on here……

The problem with timeslips is that during the actual experience one seems to be totally accepting (from my own *ahem* modest experience I would agree that that is the case) and therefore unable to really run around enjoying it while it's happening. Yes the strangeness is grand afterwards but it ain't the same as full on awareness during!

Therefore, my vote would definitely be for a stonking gurt UFO turning up in front of loads of people. Partly because it would be one of those world defining moments. Actually, I'd like it to happen just like in the Pixies song :). That way I'd get to be in Vegas as well!

Yep, this is such a great idea for a thread!

Yup I'd like to see some kind of nature spirit - fairy, gnome, forest guardian. As long as it stayed in nature and didn't want to invade my comfort zone by turning up at my home. :shock:
I'd like to see a fortean creature emerge from the woods, perhaps just in passing while I'm driving at night.
I'd also like to see what is known as a phantom here - an entity that resembles the black stick men but is of giant height. I'd like to see it from a distance but not actually be heading towards it, because according to the lore, you can only pass between its legs if you carry a flame of some sort. I'd just rather not find out about that.
And, although it's probably a laughable idea, I would like to see a statue move one day. If only to confirm my instincts about statues - that there's just something not right about them :oops: They're watching us I tell you...

Dana said:
"And, although it's probably a laughable idea, I would like to see a statue move one day. If only to confirm my instincts about statues - that there's just something not right about them They're watching us I tell you... "

I don't find it laughable. I once read about a slightly larger than life sized statue of the BVM in a grotto in France, I believe it was, that would allegedly move while it was being watched. I thought that would be very fascinating but creepy to see.
So I take it I'm not the only one who's gotten the creeps from a statue.....?

I think I'd like to see Elves, of course :D !!!

But also a genuine fish fall, angels, a ghosts, but definate NO to aliens!!!!!

Fortean phenomena, yup, bring it on, all the lot.
I've had some spooky experiences and they were great. Nothing scares me.

What I'd really like is to be haunted, say by my 'friend' who died recently (see the 'Schadenfreude' thread) after incurring my wrath by ripping me off some years ago.

'Whooo, I am the ghost of X, come to punish you for badmouthing the dead! Fear me!'

Scarg turns over in bed, breaks wind and resumes snoring.
'Sit up when I'm haunting you!'

Scarg sits up, looks at the ghost and delivers some REAL badmouthing.

Ghost looks pale, even for a ghost, and vanishes.

i would like to see anything fortean that is proveable. Its frustrating to have an interest in things that the more you examine them, the less validity they seem to have!?!

A UFO would be interesting to see - not its inhabitants, though; I reckon that would be a real brown cord trouser job . . .

. . . and a ghost. Although, if many ghosts don't look at all ghostly, maybe I've already seen one??

And you've all tempted me with the idea of seeing a 'nature spirit' of some sort.

Carole

I'd like to do that shamanic thing where you take peyote or get suspended from your nipples or whatever and then your spirit merges with the spirit of an animal and for a brief while you know what it's like to be something other than human.

I would like to see some form of cryptid such as the urung pengdek, lochness monster, thunder bird, mothman, owlman or any of the others.

I wouldn't mind experiencing a time slip for a day or so.

I thought about this long ands 'ard, like... Then I just thought, bring it all on! Ufo's, Cryptids, timeslips, fairies and their rings, whatever. Just nothing to Invasive, mind you...
:lol:

I think we should all give Toe our full support, with the nipple thing.
Go Toe! Go Toe! :lol:

I'm up for the anal probe. Sounds a lot like getting divorced, only pleasanter.

I would love to see thousands of rare, valuable gold coins apport themselves into my lounge.
Or indeed, I'd like to see a leprechaun appear, and hand me lots of gold coins.
Or a job would be just as good.

Back