• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What3words? Unusual Location Descriptors

GNC

King-Sized Canary
If this project works out:
What 3 Words site

You'll be able to write 3 words on an envelope and have it delivered to a precise address anywhere in the world.

If this project works out:
What 3 Words site

You'll be able to write 3 words on an envelope and have it delivered to a precise address anywhere in the world.

We've tried that app. It WRINGS the phone battery. Uninstalled.

I didn't realise it was an app, it shows up the location automatically when you visit the website, as far as I can see.

I didn't realise it was an app, it shows up the location automatically when you visit the website, as far as I can see.

Yup, the idea is to be able to give out your location in an emergency. It was fun for a while but as I said, it takes up too much battery power.

Pity. Good idea in theory, though - the safety angle. As long as you have a mobile phone, that is, I don't.

Yup, the idea is to be able to give out your location in an emergency. It was fun for a while but as I said, it takes up too much battery power.
Hmmm. Wonder what it's doing to have that effect? I guess it could be working the GPS really hard.

What3Words is great. Emergency services are already using it in the UK.

It's perfect for locating emergency sites where your regular satnav/GPS isn't precise enough. We liked it but couldn't cope with the battery-draining aspect.

I wasn't sure the best place to put this so it has landed here.

So (if you're not aware of it) there is a website/app called What3words? (not an advert - other services are available).
What they have done is broken down the whole surface of the planet into 3mx3m squares, and assigned each square a description using 3 random words.
Oh what fun I have been having checking if squares exist with 'Fortean' sounding descriptions.
So far I have;

https://what3words.com/alien.bugs.face
Which is strangely only a few miles north of here!

https://what3words.com/saucer.shaped.craft
Which is on the other side of the planet.

https://what3words.com/ghostly.bedroom.guests
In Kansas, USA, just West of Wichita.

And it got me thinking.
I wonder if there are any places that have a description that matches a local Fortean event/thing????

I mean, if (eg) ghostly.bedroom.guests was actually a haunted hotel, wouldn't that be grand!?

I might be giving too much away but my apartment is almost personal.airship.bikes.

Here's a good one: strange.flying.lights takes you to Kolbemoor in Bavaria. And here's a German-language report of exactly those, above - well, guess where. Bonus blurry pic:

1349477347-ufo-kolbermoor-8jmJG8LTee.jpg

It's perfect for locating emergency sites where your regular satnav/GPS isn't precise enough. We liked it but couldn't cope with the battery-draining aspect.
They've tweaked it a lot, and it's not nearly so power-hungry now.

We've tried that app. It WRINGS the phone battery. Uninstalled.

It's probably the GPS, something I didn't appreciate when I wrote my ghost map app, but which also used a lot of power. It's since been rewritten and pauses location finding algorithms when in a background state (and also because of a diktat from Google)

Back