• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Whatever Happened To Lord Lucan?

(Has anybody ever checked our Lord Lucan, which would be the ultimate example of hiding in plain sight?!)
I've checked our Lord Lucan, and he's not that Lord Lucan....

HelplessPinkBluegill-size_restricted.gif

Though as he seemed rather distressed and paranoid, he maybe thought that well, they would be wouldn't they? To hide the fact they were really something else.
That's true. Plus they were probably just in labelled bottles back then, rather than the blister packs we have now, so they could have replaced the 'prescribed' drugs with any old tablets - in his mind.

But someone going to those lengths to try to prove women unfit to have the children wouldn't hesitate to knock someone on the head if they got between him and what he wanted. Maybe he carried lengths of lead pipe in his car routinely? Was it a rear wheel drive car? I used to carry sacks of animal feed in the boot of my Celica, because if it snowed I needed the weight on the back axle to be able to steer the bloody thing.

All of this banter has me wondering what the present Lord Lucan (George Bingham, 8th Earl of Lucan) does.

A quick search brought up his Wikipedia entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bingham,_8th_Earl_of_Lucan

Apparently his wife, the Countess of Lucan and he have a successful fashion line. Here's a Tatler article:
https://www.tatler.com/article/countess-anne-sofie-lucan-launches-latest-collection-lookbook

And if you want to dress like a Lord or Lady (and who doesn't?), you can shop here and get the urbane aristocrat look or perhaps the old moneyed country squire is more to your liking. Tally ho!
https://lucanfashion.com/

I often wonder - when stories reappear in the mainstream through little gobbets of apparently new information, like this - whether we're about to be presented with a new book or TV drama, and some enterprising author or TV marketing bod has managed to prod a story into the headlines in order to up the interest, which might not be that difficult if you had the right journalistic connections.

I don't mean that this is necessarily untrue (although being true is different to it being significant - which I suspect it is not) - just that it's the kind of intriguing snippet that could quite possibly have sat under the radar for years, but which is likely to get attention if it's promoted.
As a teenager, I reported to Scotland Yard, after seeing a TV appeal, the night after the murder. That I, saw the car in Shirley Road, Shirley Croydon and the time. The male police officer said thanks. I did not hear from Scotland Yard again, regarding my sighting of his car. It was without a doubt, the car Scotland Yard were looking for. I have mentioned this matter to them several times, they never answer me.

As a teenager, I reported to Scotland Yard, after seeing a TV appeal, the night after the murder. That I, saw the car in Shirley Road, Shirley Croydon and the time. The male police officer said thanks. I did not hear from Scotland Yard again, regarding my sighting of his car. It was without a doubt, the car Scotland Yard were looking for. I have mentioned this matter to them several times, they never answer me.

Three maps of a possible escape?

Map One shows the direction of travel from the London area of Belgravia (red rectangle) to Shirley Rd, Croydon, which is what I would describe as a South South East direction. Still within London.

ll1.jpeg

Map Two a smaller scale showing how these areas fit within London and the surrounding areas.

ll2.jpeg

Map Three shows possible routes from Croydon.

Left to right:

A straight line of travel from Belgravia to Shirley Rd and on to the coast (unlikely in that there are not roads that follow this exact route).

Or to the remote Dungeness area to the East of Rye.

Or to the coastal ports of Folkestone and Dover,.

Or to Biggin Hill airfield (darker blue arrow).

ll3.jpeg

Or

Last edited:
Three maps of a possible escape?

Map One shows the direction of travel from the London area of Belgravia (red rectangle) to Shirley Rd, Croydon, which is what I would describe as a South South East direction. Still within London.

View attachment 60660

Map Two a smaller scale showing how these areas fit within London and the surrounding areas.

View attachment 60661

Map Three shows possible routes from Croydon.

Left to right:

A straight line of travel from Belgravia to Shirley Rd and on to the coast (unlikely in that there are not roads that follow this exact route).

Or to the remote Dungeness area to the East of Rye.

Or to the coastal ports of Folkestone and Dover,.

Or to Biggin Hill airfield (darker blue arrow).

View attachment 60662
Or
I can assure you, I saw the car. I worked all over London and know it very well. I know all the shortcut, Vauxhall Bridge, Camberwell, East Dulwich, Crystal Palace, Sydenham, Elmars End, to Shirley Rd. Is a very obvious rout, avoiding a lot of main roads. It is a fact that, he went to his in friends in Uckfield, East Sussex.

From today's Sydney Morning Herald:

The day I had a beer with Lord Lucan ... I think​

We were in a drizzly big town/small city in County Clare. Lunchtime traffic. Parked our compact white hire car, crossed over and opened the unremarkable front door of a pub.

It was January 2001. My wife Nerissa and I, both about 40, were driving around in Ireland. Inside, the pub was remarkably ugly and empty. We chose the table closest to the door. The street door behind me opened.
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...-with-lord-lucan-i-think-20221110-p5bxb5.html

I can assure you, I saw the car. I worked all over London and know it very well. I know all the shortcut, Vauxhall Bridge, Camberwell, East Dulwich, Crystal Palace, Sydenham, Elmars End, to Shirley Rd. Is a very obvious rout, avoiding a lot of main roads. It is a fact that, he went to his in friends in Uckfield, East Sussex.
Yes, I posted the maps with Shirley Road marked, because I believe you saw the car.

This Daily Mail article claims that after the car was found in Newhaven (to the West of the destinations I suggested), an "Unlit" and unregistered boat departed from Newhaven (with Lucan on it.)

Comments by readers claim otherwise - that the Corsair parked in Newhaven was deliberately left as a false trail to confuse police, and that they saw Lucan in Kent (where he was presumed to have been flown out of the country, perhaps by racing driver Graham Hill.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...slipped-Britain-blacked-boat-cover-night.html

I can imagine that the person driving the car that night. Would have been thinking, Why is that boy looking at my car. I had a reason, but not that I knew anything, about what happened earlier that night. And if it was Lucan and he is still alive and kicking in Brisbane Australia. I might just go pay him a visit. And ask him, if he remembers me, Staring at the car Lol, Lol.
I know is not a laughing matter, nor is it my intention to make it one.

My two pennies worth, I think Lucan let a murderer in the house. Was close by, out the back, in the house, where ever. When it went wrong, the murderer fled, Lucan was left with a wife he wanted dead. But being a gutless piece of **** he could not kill his wife. As for the man in Brisbane, a simple DNA test, should have been carried out by the Australian police. Standard 101 policing, to prove otherwise.
Jungle Barry, the Brisbane pension, saying things that, link him to Lucan. To make people think he is Lucan. As for the story about a jerno in Ireland and his wife. "Having a drink with Lucan" If you were a journalist and that is fact. You would have been all over it like a rash.

Police as usual, like in all controversial unsolved serious crimes, they go quite.
Just remember people, Daniel Morgan and what the last inquiry findings said. Metropolitan Police, Institutionally Corrupt.

I don't think one has to quote police corruption to believe that the establishment/aristocracy would much prefer Lord Lucan never resurfaced as opposed to going on trial. Look how quickly they changed the Coroner's Court rules to prevent the suspect being named in future.

Having read up a bit more, I think I can explain a few of the apparent discrepancies

These links are from Neil Berrimans website. Annoyingly there are some pages missing but they still give some extra detail.
www.lordlucanthetruth.com
Confidential+2002+Lucan+Police+report.pdf (squarespace.com)
ORIGINAL+LADY+LUCAN+STATEMENT.pdf (squarespace.com)

The tea cups and saucers - According to Lady Lucan's statement, Ms Rivett had taken a dirty set downstairs with her to make a fresh pot. That makes sense and clears that up.

According to police analysis, the blood in the basement was mostly Ms Rivetts, apart from a couple of samples from the kitchen floor and the mailbag which matched with Lady Lucan. This is a bit strange unless things didn't quite happen as Lady Lucan remembered - very possible since she suffered some pretty severe injuries to the head.

Now, even if, for the sake of fairness we exclude Lady Lucan's testimony, Lord Lucan had been acting increasingly unhinged and terrorising not only his wife but the nannies. Hiring private detectives to follow them, making weird phone calls and bringing pills to a pharmacist to have them identified (what was that about?). This is all from the Wikipedia page. Astonishingly, he did indeed have a key to the house which is mentioned in the 2002 police report.

Here is what may have happened. Lord Lucan let himself into the house and removed the bulb from the basement light. Ms Rivett comes down with the teacups. He wasn't expecting her to be there but never mind, he is "Lucky" after all and she deserves to be killed too due to the influence she has on his children. He hears Lady Lucan coming down from upstairs and runs up to ambush her. He murders her too (he thinks), then goes back downstairs to continue dealing with Ms Rivett's body, contaminating the scene with Lady Lucan's blood. He goes back upstairs only to find that Lady Lucan isn't as dead as he thought. Maybe it is a bit harder to murder someone who is sitting up and talking to you, who knows? Anyway, he is all murdered out at this point and she survives. His words to Lady Lucan were:-

It sounds as if he knew perfectly well who he was murdering and didn't much mind.

The other discrepancies are a parking attendant at the Clermont club claiming to have seen him at 9pm (pretty much the exact time of the murder) in his Mercedes. Lucan asked him who was present and then drove off. The Mercedes was found after the murder with a cool engine and a flat battery. Lucan could have easily bribed the parking attendant to say that.

This only leaves the second lead pipe which I still find a bit strange. Though who knows, maybe he made one pipe up and put it in the boot, forgot it was there and made up another? As previously noted, this is not an ordered mind.

No sing of forced entry, Sandra Rivett, wasn't supposed to be home, night off. So Lucan gave a key to an assassin, or he was with them. He / they, entered the house undetected, without any commotion or noise. Facts, Lucan did have a key, Only One woman, should have been in the house.

This is why I think, someone else carried out the murder. They hit Sandra, assuming it was Ms Veronica Lucan. If it was Lucan, he would have realized it wasn't his wife. Size, shape of body, body movement, noise after being hit. He would have stopped, Why, because he couldn't kill his wife, after Sandra was killed.

As Sandra was found in a sack, she was going to be taken somewhere and disposed of. Again At this point, Lucan would have known, it wasn't Veronica. You would not know, your wives body, build / size, etc really ?
Was he strongly enough to carry it out the house? He played cards, drank unlikely. Easy for two people though. In a car boot out back, off to wherever.

All leads to a well planned murder, that went horribly wrong, because the wrong woman was murdered.

Lucan hired an assassin, All the evidence, adds to a hired hit person. Being in the house that night. I strongly believe, that person killed Sandra accidentally.

You wouldn't do it yourself, Lucan wanted to have the children in his care. To kill your wife, there mother. Would put an end to ever having a relationship with your children. I don't think he was that stupid. Getting someone else to do it, exonerating yourself from being anywhere near the house. Would have been easy then, he allegedly paid off a parking attendant.

In a situation like that, if he was the killer. He would not have stopped, he would have killed both of them. One murder two murderes what's the difference. And as Veronica was attacked.

Most of what is known about that night, came from Veronica

As for what happened to Lucan.

Never underestimate the power of some women. I think the, upper eschalon of society. Were so disgusted with what Lucan had done.

The throwaway comment of Lady Aspinall.

"Last time he was seen, he's was being fed to the lions."

It was a throwaway line, that was to peversse to be believed. But the way apparently it was delivered, by Lady Aspinall.
When I heard the comment. I though, I hope he was still alive.

Another theory.

That, Veronica set Lucan up.

That he was meeting Veronica, at a prearrange time, that she made. She sent Sandra down to the kitchen. Veronica, then follows her to the downstairs kitchen. Starts to bash Sandra, knowing Lucan would see / hear the comotion. Veronica then smashed herself around the head a few times. Obviously to make it look like Lucan attacked Veronica, to try to kill her also.

Was Lucan having an affair with Sandra and Veronica had found out. So she set out, to set Lucan up and get him out of her life forever. Veronica as we know, was unfortunately mentally unwell. And Lucan was said to be, Somewhat increasingly Unhinged.

Did Lucan see someone fighting with Veronica ? Or was it, Veronica attacking Sandra ? Or, did Veronica hire a hit man to kill Sandra and bash her, to frame Lucan.

Lead pipe in the car and recently information about, three card's from a board game. Were they planted, by the people who helped him escape, or others ?

That just doesn't make any sense. Two lead pipe.

One slight floor in this theory, Sandra wasn't supposed to be there. But, if Veronica knew that she, wasn't going out. What a fantastic cleaver way, to set up Lucan. Especially if Veronica, knew they were having an affair.

I think these two theories, make more sense. Eather Lucan, hired a hitman to kill Veronica. Or Veronica, set Lucan up by killing Sandra. Possibly with or without a hired helper.

Veronica account's of how she escaped, to me really didn't sound credible. Again if Lucan had killed Sandra accidentally.
He most certainly would not have left a woman he hated and wanted dead.

Alive and with a head full of evidence.

Lucan didn't have the guts to do it himself.
Him disappearing,

Or, Did the Lion's have.

A Dam Good feed one night.

Just a theory, from the boy, who saw the car.
The night Lord Lucan, Murdered the Nanny, Or Did He.

That's true. Plus they were probably just in labelled bottles back then, rather than the blister packs we have now, so they could have replaced the 'prescribed' drugs with any old tablets - in his mind.

But someone going to those lengths to try to prove women unfit to have the children wouldn't hesitate to knock someone on the head if they got between him and what he wanted. Maybe he carried lengths of lead pipe in his car routinely? Was it a rear wheel drive car? I used to carry sacks of animal feed in the boot of my Celica, because if it snowed I needed the weight on the back axle to be able to steer the bloody thing.
I carried a length of lead pipe around in the boot of my car decades ago. It was useful for adding extra leverage on the wheel brace if you had to change a flat tyre. (the night before my wedding I had a blown tyre and couldn't remove the wheel so had to abandon the car - fate trying to tell me something?:chuckle:)

Was he strongly enough to carry it out the house? He played cards, drank unlikely.
I thinks that's irrelevant.

He was only 39, had been in the Coldstream Guards (try their basic-training regime) and had been an Eton boy (you hade to be tough to be an Eton boy in the 1940s and 50s.) You tend to keep your fitness up after those experiences because it's drummed into you to do so.

Also, some of the toughest guys I knew/know were/are heavy drinkers and even heavy smokers in some cases.

I carried a length of lead pipe around in the boot of my car decades ago. It was useful for adding extra leverage on the wheel brace if you had to change a flat tyre. ...
That's a very good point, and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it ...

Decades ago it was fairly common practice (at least in the USA) to carry an extra metal bar or length of small-diameter pipe to gain additional leverage (and clearance) for pumping the car's jack without being limited to only using the lug wrench (or other handle provided ... ) for that purpose.

It was also common practice for mechanics to keep such a bar or pipe around for use with other jacks and ratcheting devices. The extra length allowed one to amplify the force being used to lift / hoist something heavy. Such purpose-specific bars / pipes were called "cheaters", because they allowed you to "cheat" on the amount of mass / weight being leveraged.

That he was meeting Veronica, at a prearrange time, that she made. She sent Sandra down to the kitchen. Veronica, then follows her to the downstairs kitchen. Starts to bash Sandra, knowing Lucan would see / hear the comotion. Veronica then smashed herself around the head a few times. Obviously to make it look like Lucan attacked Veronica, to try to kill her also.

Was Lucan having an affair with Sandra and Veronica had found out. So she set out, to set Lucan up and get him out of her life forever. Veronica as we know, was unfortunately mentally unwell. And Lucan was said to be, Somewhat increasingly Unhinged.
This seems extremely unlikely to me since they had been separated for some time and it was very acrimonious. Also, how did Ms Rivett get into the mail sack? If you are querying if Lord L could have done it, there is no way Lady Lucan could have. Have you ever tried to lift a recalcitrant body (such as a fallen pensioner I mean, not a dead body - I wouldn't know about that!)? It is extremely difficult. Also Lady Lucan injuries were pretty bad. I don't know how it would be possible to inflict those injuries on yourself.

As to whether he had hired an assassin. I don't think that can be ruled out although it doesn't make a great deal of difference. If you hire someone else to do the dirty work, you are still guilty of the murder.

I carried a length of lead pipe around in the boot of my car decades ago. It was useful for adding extra leverage on the wheel brace if you had to change a flat tyre. (the night before my wedding I had a blown tyre and couldn't remove the wheel so had to abandon the car - fate trying to tell me something?:chuckle:)
I have one in the Landrover right now for that same reason (it's actually a length of sawn off scaffolding pole), have had it since I owned a double wheel base Transit back in the early 90's.

That's a very good point, and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it ...

Decades ago it was fairly common practice (at least in the USA) to carry an extra metal bar or length of small-diameter pipe to gain additional leverage (and clearance) for pumping the car's jack without being limited to only using the lug wrench (or other handle provided ... ) for that purpose.

It was also common practice for mechanics to keep such a bar or pipe around for use with other jacks and ratcheting devices. The extra length allowed one to amplify the force being used to lift / hoist something heavy. Such purpose-specific bars / pipes were called "cheaters", because they allowed you to "cheat" on the amount of mass / weight being leveraged.
Would lead work for that purpose though? It's a very soft metal and it might bend if you put a lot of pressure on, rather than moving the nuts. I had an extra-long spanner-thing that we used for extra power.

Do we know if Lucan had had any recent building work done on any of his properties? Plenty of places would have still had lead pipe in them especially back then. It's just not the sort of thing you would come across in everyday life unless you had access to a building site or some such.

Back