• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What's It Mean When...? (Body Sensations Indicating Things / Events)

Pinklefish

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
HELLO!

I thought of this when I was dozing off to sleep last night.

You know when (for example) your ears burn, and someone says that means someone's talking about you?

Like there is a way for your body to divine things that you wouldn't be conciously aware of...

I can never remember what the other ones mean - the end of your nose tingling means rain I think? And if your palm itches...er I'm not sure what that means.

Where do these sayings/superstitions come from?

Can anyone think of any others?

(silly answers welcome)

pinkle

What do it mean!!

How about if unknown to you -someone is stareing at you? some people (they say ) can feel people stareing at them.You know the saying,"pinkelfish I feel though if someone is stareing at me!", of course "who knows" there is a book I can't right off remember the name but ,it talks about "your senses are your best defence",Pay attention to your feelings"what your body or feelings are trying to tell you--the guy who wrote it -use to be a secret service agent--he said "you really can feel danger if you just pay attention to your feelings and "its in the old genes from ancesters past..etc..so next time your walking alone and you get a funny feeling -maybe be cautious..:eek!!!!:

Yes - "I could feel someone's eyes on me..."
could be creepy, could be gross (squishy eyeballs).

When I had to take long bus journeys to work, I'd stare at the back of someone's head for ages then imagine an itch, I'd feel it on my head (autosensate? when you talk about fleas and start itching) then I'd scratch it and the person in front, about 7 out of 10 times, would scratch their head in the same place.

hahah.

pinkle

If your foot itches, then you are going to walk on strange ground.

If your palm itches, your going to receive money.

These and many more which I can't remember at the moment,
came from my Grandmother.

No, if your foot itches, it might mean Trench Foot and itchy fingers could be
an allergy. :eek:

My Grannie insists they didn't come from her at all.
She blames the night I spent with the Household Cavalry and their horses. :p

And it was only my bus-fare, if you must know! ;)

And If you shiver uncontrollably and violently, it means that someone is walking over the space of your future grave. I used to shiver like this all the time so maybe i'm buried in oxford street or something.

When I...

Was 12-13 years my pop was assigned to the Island of Guam so..we lived there for two years ..the movie theater was an out-door afair -I had to walk down this long path through the jungle to get their (in the daylight) after the movie it of course was dark! I would have to walk (sometimes) by myself up that "1/2 mile trail to our houseing area" there were stories of "giant coconut Crabs",and japanese survivors in the jungle etc..always alot of russeling in the background as you walked (I would usually sing songs ,and end up running once I reached a certain point till I got to the top and the street light) also there was this green fungas, that glowed in the dark "like eyes " watching you all up the trail..but really I probably was in, no danger any time and just filled my own self with fear..Guam was a fun place all in all though!!:cool:

Faggus said:
And If you shiver uncontrollably and violently, it means that someone is walking over the space of your future grave. I used to shiver like this all the time so maybe i'm buried in oxford street or something.

Yes I've heard that one... Although in my case it would be someone sailing over the place on the sea where my ashes were scattered. Trouble is the ashes wouldn't stay in the same place, they'd spread out, so god forbid they scattered me into the path of a yacht race.
Maybe that's the real cause of some people's chronic tics.

pinkle

And if your feet ae itching: as mine are thinking about it, you are about to go on a journey. ahem

Sneezing, once for a wish, twice for a kiss, three for a disappointment.

The Lecky Mouse said:
Sneezing, once for a wish, twice for a kiss, three for a disappointment.

Four and you wet yourself...

pinkle

My dad always used to say that if your left palm itched you were going to receive money, if your right palm itched you were going to be losing money.

He also used to say "Itchy bum, money to come". I think he made that one up. lol:D

Susan Bulmer said:
He also used to say "Itchy bum, money to come". I think he made that one up. lol:D
He must have - I'm still dirt poor!

No, I've heard the 'itchy bum, money to come' one too! And my husband's gran used to say of an itchy bum, 'the nearer the hole, the better the luck!"

:p

Carole

I've heard that if your feet smell and your nose runs you've been made upside down.

Faggus said:

Hmm - that's doubly worrying for me - I want to be buried at sea...

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes..."

As recounted by Mr. Shakespeare

JerryB said:
Hmm - that's doubly worrying for me - I want to be buried at sea...

Maybe you'll be buried in the Straits of Gibraltar?

Marion said:
Or that old UL that if you sneeze forty times you have an orgasm.

"Doctor every time I sneeze I have an orgasm."

"Really! What are you taking for it"?

"Pepper".

"Doctor every time I sneeze I have an orgasm."

"Really! What are you taking for it"?

"Pepper".

This isn't very different from Oliver Sacks's story of the very old
woman who began to experience an intense renewal of her
sexual urges. It turned out to be an inoperable brain tumour, I think,
but she was adamant that any treatment should not deprive her
of this unexpected bonus of pleasure in her final months.

Sacks reports this as a medical anomaly. But I see an awful lot
of these cases, both male and female, out in Manchester every weekend . . .

. . . story definitely not continued on the "Things I woke up with . . "
thread. :p

Itchy bum, money to come
Nearer the hole, larger the sum!

Everybody knows the truth in that one.

This body sensation superstition is attributed to Russian folklore.

If your cheeks are burning…

Cheeks burning are a natural response to embarrassment or just a very hot day, but when your face starts burning up for no apparent reason there are other things to consider. The right cheek burning is a good omen and means that a beloved or close person is thinking about you. The left cheek on the other hand means enemies are spreading lies and gossip about you. The worst is when your whole face is burning – this means tears will soon be burning your cheeks.
SOURCE: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/russia/articles/11-superstitions-russians-still-believe/

Just to add to the earlier-mentioned folklore tradition of 'ears burning when someone's talking about you', I was given to understand that the rule was "left for love, and right for spite".

So a hot sensation in the left ear meant that someone was speaking about you in a positive or affectionate manner, and if the right ear felt hot, then negative vibes were going on.

Just interesting that it's the other way around from the Russian take on the meaning behind 'burning cheeks'.

I've noticed the left / right attribution of different - usually opposite - meanings mentioned for a number of such superstitions. It's not clear to me there's any clear pattern in associating right / left with good / bad.

One might almost argue that the oppositional and contradictory nature of a number of folkloric beliefs (e.g. encountering a black cat being either lucky or unlucky, depending on the cultural background of the observer) is what makes them so darn difficult to prove or disprove...

My right ear tends to get spontaneously hot much more readily than my left; I'd thought it was just because everyone hates me, but maybe I'm more universally acclaimed than I thought?

When my younger brother and I were little kids we picked up a saying that when you suddenly feel cold, it's because an invisible ghost is using you as a short cut.

This intrigued us enormously and I can remember us making up some Voodoo-themed game afterwards where we'd stand around an imaginary open fire and chant 'YA feel COLD, there's a GHOST passing THROUGH ya!'

I've no idea where this came from; probably the TV although we weren't generally allowed to watch anything scary and were tucked up at unreasonably early times.

Even now if I feel a chill I nod slightly and think YA feel COLD, there's a GHOST passing THROUGH ya! :chuckle:

Back