What's Killing The Animals?

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Why do we need to look further than:

False_Bay_Shark_Diving_2014_009.jpg

maximus otter
I can't really see sharks delicately snipping the heads off and leaving the rest?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I can't really see sharks delicately snipping the heads off and leaving the rest?

My theory? Penguin dies - either from natural causes or shark attack - and we then get a scenario like the "Mystery of the Drifting Human Feet" thread here on FTMB:

"When a body – from an accident or a suicide – is out at sea and sinks to the bottom of the ocean, it is quickly set upon by scavengers. Scavengers like crustaceans are lazy feeders and will prefer to tackle the softer parts of the body than the tough gristly bits. On humans, the soft parts include our ankles, which are mainly soft tissue and ligaments. Chew away at this, and the foot will detach pretty quickly before any major decomposition has set in. The bodies went down whole, the feet were detached by fish.

As for why the phenomenon didn't really happen until 2007 (though there are sparse instances of feet washing up previous to this), that's where sneaker design comes in. Over the last few decades, sneakers have been made of lighter foam, as well as including air pockets in the soles.

“It really didn’t come up until we had running shoes that floated so well,” McLintock said. “Before, they just stayed down there at the bottom of the ocean.” "

https://www.iflscience.com/health-a...-ashore-in-the-us-and-canada-has-been-solved/

No need to invoke eeeeevil human intervention.

maximus otter

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
My theory? Penguin dies - either from natural causes or shark attack - and we then get a scenario like the "Mystery of the Drifting Human Feet" thread here on FTMB:
I don't think that could be the case here as:-
Remarkably the total in April alone is more than the total number of penguin deaths in the area in the whole of 2021.

I can't see how penguin bodies could have suddenly got more buoyant in April 2022. Although getting trapped inside a floating trainer would probably kill them..

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I don't think that could be the case here as:-

I can't see how penguin bodies could have suddenly got more buoyant in April 2022. Although getting trapped inside a floating trainer would probably kill them..

Newly-resident shark/s.

Unusual meteorological/sea conditions.

People have just started noticing and counting the dead penguins.

Penguin disease.

Etc.

- Or people have suddenly started to throw huge numbers of fish-scented Aerobie frisbees into the sea for the penguins to play with...

maximus otter

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Newly-resident shark/s.

Unusual meteorological/sea conditions.

People have just started noticing and counting the dead penguins.

Penguin disease.

Etc.

- Or people have suddenly started to throw huge numbers of fish-scented Aerobie frisbees into the sea for the penguins to play with...

maximus otter
Well hopefully the people who are investigating the deaths will solve the mystery. They said it might take 2 to 3 weeks but whether the Mirror will follow this up or not is another thing..

hunck

Antediluvian
On Ch 4 news tonight there was a segment on bird flu H5N1 which is apparently currently running rampant in wild bird populations. The video was from Scotland focusing on gannet/tern/seabird colonies on uninhabited rocks/islands where the birds nest in huge colonies. The flu is having severe to devastating effects. Many dead birds shown in the film. People urged to stay away & keep dogs from dead birds.

It originated in Chinese factory chicken farms in the 90s. Several million chickens were slaughtered in the UK last year due to an outbreak. It’s relatively controllable if in a limited space like a farm but it’s now jumped to the wild bird population.

H5N1 currently doesn’t readily jump to humans. It has been known though, mainly to people working in the chicken farming industry. According to the report it has around a 50% fatality rate in humans.

We know mutations happen in viruses. It was quite a sobering report & one I hadn’t been aware of what with all of the rest of the shit currently going down.

Sid

Justified & Ancient
On Ch 4 news tonight there was a segment on bird flu H5N1 which is apparently currently running rampant in wild bird populations. The video was from Scotland focusing on gannet/tern/seabird colonies on uninhabited rocks/islands where the birds nest in huge colonies. The flu is having severe to devastating effects. Many dead birds shown in the film. People urged to stay away & keep dogs from dead birds.

It originated in Chinese factory chicken farms in the 90s. Several million chickens were slaughtered in the UK last year due to an outbreak. It’s relatively controllable if in a limited space like a farm but it’s now jumped to the wild bird population.

H5N1 currently doesn’t readily jump to humans. It has been known though, mainly to people working in the chicken farming industry. According to the report it has around a 50% fatality rate in humans.

We know mutations happen in viruses. It was quite a sobering report & one I hadn’t been aware of what with all of the rest of the shit currently going down.
Yes. . . I was watching that report too, very sad to see the devastation left ~ ignore it at our peril I would say! Especially as covid will always be out there at the same time.

hunck

Antediluvian

Thousands of sea creatures wash up dead on beach in the North East

Some suspect it’s caused by pollutants released from mud in River Tees, DEFRA says algal bloom. Crabs have apparently not recovered in numbers from the last incident in October.

Countless marine creatures have once again washed up dead on the North East coast, shortly after dredging restarted on the River Tees.

Work went ahead on the river bed from September 1, despite desperate pleas from conservation groups, local residents and the fishing industry, which feared a repeat of a mass marine life die-off last October.

But the dredging was given the green light and yesterday, three weeks on, pictures emerged appearing to show thousands of dead animals on beaches in Saltburn and Marske. Similar scenes have been reported in Hartlepool.

Experts are as yet unable to say what has caused the deaths but locals are convinced that dredging is behind the ongoing problems.

That is despite Defra repeatedly insisting that an ‘algal bloom’ was to blame for the original die-offs. Experts have disputed that claim and pointed to research showing huge quantities of pyridine in crabs.
1663878230280.png

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Here on the North Yorkshire coast, the absence of herring gulls is highly notable. We usually have quite a large contingent, moaning about their noise, their attacks on tourists walking along eating their fish 'n' chips, the same tourists feeding chips to gulls etc.
There's a reduced bird noise in general - our garden has a large wooded area and the sound of wood pigeons has greatly diminished, but the gulls have almost disappeared. Common thought is that, after a local discovery, avian 'flu is responsible.
Then again, common thought over the crab decimation was actually caused by damage from large Spanish and French trawlers, often seen in the distance. And the local fishing industry - the majority being crabbers - is already under threat so regard DEFRA's explanation as being denial rather than explanation.