• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What's Meant By 'Olive Skinned'?

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
My opinion is not for anyone sensitive about their religion and please skip my comment.
But is God a man or woman, what skin colour, or not a solid figure but energy or light ?

... Jesus is definitely a He. But, from what I've seen of him, he has a typical Eastern Mediterranean medium brown skin. (I've never understood what people mean by 'olive-skinned' - I don't know anyone with green skin.) ...

Last edited by a moderator:
(I've never understood what people mean by 'olive-skinned' - I don't know anyone with green skin.)
Lots of different kinds of olives C;
olives.jpg

Yes, but its not exactly a skin colour?

Beautifully grained?

(But, if you like treen, worth searching for)

... Jesus is definitely a He. But, from what I've seen of him, he has a typical Eastern Mediterranean medium brown skin. (I've never understood what people mean by 'olive-skinned' - I don't know anyone with green skin.) ...
Mr. R is just like me, of British, Polish and German / Austrian descent, and I am very fair. When we first met he had jet black hair also.
And he is always described as 'olive skinned'. In the summer he catches the sun so easily and turns extremely dark, I would suppose he actually has some type of mid-eastern, or Italian, or Greek heritage:

IMG_6032 (2).JPG

The colour of the wood of the olive tree.
Brilliant! Now I understand.

Whether it's my own natural oddness or my somewhat solitary upbringing or my tendency to get totally wrapped up in one pursuit or another I do seem to have some everyday things that have passed me by - indeed my last attempted girlfriend suggested there was rather more of the kind than I'd ever expected.

I think of olive skin color as meaning a slight yellow color, as opposed to a slight red or pink color. Once someone gets a suntan, it is impossible to see these differences. I have some Asian ancestry, and my skin has a yellow cast, not pink.

I once knew a Nigerian bloke who I thought had a greenish tinge to his skin, rather like an acorn. A very pleasant effect. Not sure whether that was common in his ancestral home, or whether it was just him.

But I think "olive-skinned" normally means the sort of deep tan which people in the eastern Mediterranean tend to have.

I think of olive skin color as meaning a slight yellow color, as opposed to a slight red or pink color. Once someone gets a suntan, it is impossible to see these differences. I have some Asian ancestry, and my skin has a yellow cast, not pink.
Funnily enough - you have just described how I understood it as a child. To do with tones in the skin colour.

I always thought olive skinned people tended to tan rather than burn. I may be wrong in that assumption.....

I think Herr Cloaca has got it right, judging from the contexts I can recall off-hand.

The sort of skin that is darker anyway than a typical northern European white person, and goes browner rather than pink in the sun.

My literal mind does have a lot of problems with things like this. I mean, hardly anyone is actually white, black, red or yellow. I'll not get in to why it disturbs my intellects, but it does. I'd probably end up revealing I'm more odd than I already have. It's misleading data, that's all I'll say :)

Funnily enough - you have just described how I understood it as a child. To do with tones in the skin colour.

I always thought olive skinned people tended to tan rather than burn. I may be wrong in that assumption.....
Yes, I do not burn. For a blue eyed "Caucasian" who had blonde hair as a child, I can get quite dark suntan.

Yes, I do not burn. For a blue eyed "Caucasian" who had blonde hair as a child, I can get quite dark suntan.
I'm the blue eyed with blond hair (now sadly more mousey but not grey yet) burning type. In fact I don't understand how anyone could ever enjoy sunbathing. I just feel like I am being cooked like a live human sausage.....It just feels like being cooked/burnt to me!

That said, I love the hot weather/sunshine. Most of the year in the UK I moan to myself about the climate being too cold. A few generations of my father's side lived in India and my dad was born there. I love spicy foods, have a love of Okra (skipped my dad, but his mother loved them too), and sometimes wonder if my dislike for cold weather has come from them.....*

*It could just be because I have bad circulation and get cold feet/hands though.... :hahazebs:

I think Herr Cloaca has got it right, judging from the contexts I can recall off-hand.

The sort of skin that is darker anyway than a typical northern European white person, and goes browner rather than pink in the sun.

My literal mind does have a lot of problems with things like this. I mean, hardly anyone is actually white, black, red or yellow. I'll not get in to why it disturbs my intellects, but it does. I'd probably end up revealing I'm more odd than I already have. It's misleading data, that's all I'll say :)
When I opened a hair salon, I learned all about hair and skin -
We all have different skin - different colors, different shades, different thickness, different types.
Some of us have very tough skin, others thin, and we all tan differently.
My Mum had dry, thin skin, I have oily thick skin. Hers was a pink shade, I am more yellow - Eastern European.
When I purchase foundation makeup, it is the Warm Ivory shade - not pink based, but yellow based.

When I opened a hair salon, I learned all about hair and skin -
We all have different skin - different colors, different shades, different thickness, different types.
Some of us have very tough skin, others thin, and we all tan differently.
My Mum had dry, thin skin, I have oily thick skin. Hers was a pink shade, I am more yellow - Eastern European.
When I purchase foundation makeup, it is the Warm Ivory shade - not pink based, but yellow based.
I nearly posted a rather long winded one about pink verses yellow based make up yesterday. :hahazebs: I thought better of it - but yes.....Make up shades can be light and be pink or yellow toned....It is very subtly pink or yellow toned otherwise we'd all be walking around looking very funny with pastel coloured faces rather than "skin" coloured.....

Mind you....maybe someone will start a new trend....you never know..... :D

Mr. R is just like me, of British, Polish and German / Austrian descent, and I am very fair. When we first met he had jet black hair also.
And he is always described as 'olive skinned'. In the summer he catches the sun so easily and turns extremely dark, I would suppose he actually has some type of mid-eastern, or Italian, or Greek heritage:

View attachment 57950
I thought that was a photo of Robert Shaw from Jaws!

shaw.jpg

Are olive skinned people that colour all over or just the tanned areas?

Does he get out a lot in the summer, fishing and the like?

57825-e6c54e42fdbdfe01dc5b661c1a9fc2d9.jpgScreenshot 2022-08-15 at 12.25.04 AM.jpg

Apologies @blessmycottonsocks, I didn't see your earlier post and this had been replied to before I could delete it.

Back