• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What's The Most Outrageous Conspiracy Theory You Have Heard?

This barmy conspiracy theory cropped up on Quora not long back.
Some people apparently believe that white supremacists broke the noses off ancient Egyptian statues, so people who saw them wouldn't think they were depictions of black Africans.
There are usually photos of the Sphynx or damaged statues similar to this to "prove" the point:

statue.png

Which, of course, utterly ignores that fact that, if an ancient statue topples to the ground, a protuberance like the nose, will be the first point of damage. There is also iconoclasm to consider - subsequent religions thought it was morally justified to damage pagan idols and there are historical accounts of such "righteous" vandalism. Finally, those white supremacists were obviously a bit slacking, as plenty of ancient Egyptian statues survived remarkably well intact!

statue2.png
statue3.png
statue4.png
statue5.png
statue6.png

The most ridiculous conspiracies I've encountered I discovered a couple of years back. I was still following the flat earth debunking community back then, but even I didn't expect that one of the young earth flat earthers also believed several animals are fake. He used to go by the name Hans Wormhat but I see he's changed his youtube name. Anyway, Hans Wormhat believes toucans are fake.

His channel includes a whole bunch of other fake animals, like gorillas, zebras and koalas, plus other insanity.

The puffy white “ chemtrails “ behind jet planes is a secret weather weapon to control our weather.

The weather services of different governments are using weather as a weapon.

Hurricane and typhoons have been much stronger and more damaging in recent times.

Tornado outbreaks in the U.S. are at record numbers.

India has been burnt to a crisp from record heat.

Saharan dust clouds moved over Florida this past Monday.

Last edited:
The one I like is that the Large Hadron Collider zapped us into an alternate reality, or whatever it it. Explains a lot :hahazebs:
But all conspiracy theories just sound like people are trying too hard. It‘s like: I’m expecting a letter on Tuesday and it arrives Thursday so clearly it must have been rerouted to MI6 (who are obviously watching me for some unexplained but frightening reason) who opened it then resealed it and sent it on. — Or it was just late? Honestly, who has the time to consider these things? They’re so convoluted! Watchable in films, readable in books, but fiction isn’t reality.

Our cell or mobile phones are giving us brain cancer, and we are killing ourselves.

The new 5 G is killing us even faster.

Some people apparently believe that white supremacists broke the noses off ancient Egyptian statues, so people who saw them wouldn't think they were depictions of black Africans.
There are usually photos of the Sphynx or damaged statues similar to this to "prove" the point:

View attachment 55625

Which, of course, utterly ignores that fact that, if an ancient statue topples to the ground, a protuberance like the nose, will be the first point of damage. There is also iconoclasm to consider - subsequent religions thought it was morally justified to damage pagan idols and there are historical accounts of such "righteous" vandalism. Finally, those white supremacists were obviously a bit slacking, as plenty of ancient Egyptian statues survived remarkably well intact!

View attachment 55628View attachment 55629View attachment 55630View attachment 55631View attachment 55632
Do they use the same theory to explain why a lot of statues also have the willies broken off?

I have no more idea than you if Napoleon Bonaparte had his troops shoot the noses off the Sphinx or not.

It seems he probably did not.

But the theory does have a basis in a genuine issue, which has been discussed elsewhere on here i.e. The Ancient Aliens thread.

That in the West, History has been seen through a White European lens to a greater extent than other lenses.
Which in my view, is inevitable.

But a casualty of that has been a relative neglect of Back African achievements, and involvement in events and structures that are of Historical note.

The Pharoahs, in my understanding, were of different ethnicities, different dynasties.

But I'd hazard a fair guess that some of them looked a bit like Nubians. i.e. the late Anwar Sadat.

Last edited:
Someone on here rumbled the Illumonamasons and the site got taken down.

All the mods are prisoners in area 51 and have been replaced with exact duplicates.

Be extra careful people!!

I thought that the disfiguring of statues by the act of damaging the face (commonly seen) was due to usurping hordes showing an utter lack of respect for the previous Rulers, after conquering that territory.

I thought that the disfiguring of statues by the act of damaging the face (commonly seen) was due to usurping hordes showing an utter lack of respect for the previous Rulers, after conquering that territory.
I think, for a lot of statues, the nose (and also, incidentally, the willy) is the most protruberant part. So if the statue is knocked or falls over, that's the part that suffers the damage, whilst the rest remains intact.

I think, for a lot of statues, the nose (and also, incidentally, the willy) is the most protruberant part. So if the statue is knocked or falls over, that's the part that suffers the damage, whilst the rest remains intact.
Only if it falls face forward. Are there any statues with missing arses? :)

Only if it falls face forward. Are there any statues with missing arses? :)
Structurally, though, the arse is a big solid bit of stone. Elbows and other sticky out bits are what take the damage, and there are plenty of statues that do still have noses, so presumably only fell backwards...

There is a statue museum nearby, which also has a wall of noses broken off of statues. It's a common occurence.

I have no more idea than you if Napoleon Bonaparte had his troops shoot the noses off the Sphinx or not.

It seems he probably did not.

But the theory does have a basis in a genuine issue, which has been discussed elsewhere on here i.e. The Ancient Aliens thread.

That in the West, History has been seen through a White European lens to a greater extent than other lenses.
Which in my view, is inevitable.

But a casualty of that has been a relative neglect of Back African achievements, and involvement in events and structures that are of Historical note.

The Pharoahs, in my understanding, were of different ethnicities, different dynasties.

But I'd hazard a fair guess that some of them looked a bit like Nubians. i.e. the late Anwar Sadat.

The Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, which was the longest and best-documented ancient Egyptian dynasty and included the iconic Cleopatra, was basically Greek.
The statue of Ptolemy II, with its nose intact, looks decidedly Mediterranean.

ptolemy.png

As for Cleo herself, this "woman of unsurpassed beauty" would probably have had classic Greek looks too, although her depiction on Roman coins, usually depict her with quite an elongated beaky (Roman?) nose and not quite the Elizabeth Tayloresque stunner we have come to accept as the architype:

cleo.png

The Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, which was the longest and best-documented ancient Egyptian dynasty and included the iconic Cleopatra, was basically Greek.
The statue of Ptolemy II, with its nose intact, looks decidedly Mediterranean.

View attachment 55721

As for Cleo herself, this "woman of unsurpassed beauty" would probably have had classic Greek looks too, although her depiction on Roman coins, usually depict her with quite an elongated beaky (Roman?) nose and not quite the Elizabeth Tayloresque stunner we have come to accept as the architype:

View attachment 55722
Also, ideas of beauty change from era to era. Look at how many of the Rubensesque ladies would be called 'out of shape' nowadays.

I also maintain that I am not ugly, I just live in the wrong era...

Also, ideas of beauty change from era to era. Look at how many of the Rubensesque ladies would be called 'out of shape' nowadays.

I also maintain that I am not ugly, I just live in the wrong era...
Although the men were usually depicted looking pretty buff.

This Roman bust of Mark Antony (with the nose repaired) gives him a very presentable and rather heroic appearance.

antony.png

The depictions of Cleopatra though, with whom he had 3 children, are certainly not as charitable.
Perhaps there's a conspiracy in there? Did Rome blame Cleopatra for turning Antony against them and uglified her for propaganda purposes?

Back