What's Up At The BBC?

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
Our CBC is taxpayer funded, along with commercial money in form of ads. Of course depending who's in federal gov't, determines the funding

INT21

Justified & Ancient
..., but if I want access to earlier seasons, I have to sign up for a "free" account. ..

Hey, that reminds me. I was trying to get the earlier series of Cold Feet, but the system wouldn't let me. Maybe now it will. Thanks for the hint.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Just got a call from down stairs. 'Come and sort this out, will you'.

My wife tried to watch an earlier episode of East Enders (I know, I can't see why either) via Iplayer, and it appears that one now has to register with the BBC and enter a code.
This ties my tv to my computer. And when I go to Iplayer my name is displayed on the tv screen.

So now the BBC is keeping track of who is watching what on their tv.

BBC = Big Brother Coming.

Anyone else had to do this yet ?

INT21.
Yep. Annoying as a license number ought to have been all the asked for. I don't watch the iPlayer I CBA when I've got Netflix and YouTube on the telly anyway.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Seeing as I'm neither female, gay or black which seemingly makes me a sexist homophobic racist apparently in the eyes of the BBC (going by 95% of their output), I rarely find anything I want to watch from the BBC anymore. I make my own TV schedule online instead.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Coal,

It's possible that the Beeb will do a Google on us and start showing lists of programs it deems you may like going by what you have watched in the past.

MorningAngel

Abominable Snowman
Even when you are logged in it asks you if you have a license, well at least on the app it does. Like you’re going to say no even if you don’t.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Carlos,

Hadn't noticed that yet. I see that YouTube does this.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Ok I googled her. Five minutes of my life I'll never get back.:died:
Even this won’t prepare you for the creative vacuum and talent vampire that is Mel Giedroyc. Such is her power of draining the talent around her, everything she touches turns to shit while she just rolls her eyes and giggles.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Even this won’t prepare you for the creative vacuum and talent vampire that is Mel Giedroyc. Such is her power of draining the talent around her, everything she touches turns to shit while she just rolls her eyes and giggles.
Aww, so harsh. She's alright. She's just not funny.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
That's one reason, yes.
I don't hold a license as I don't have a TV and don't watch anything live on iplayer.

They tried to get me with the sign up thing after a link got posted on the Facebook Fortean group to a paranormal themed radio programme, afaik legal to listen to but i'm not going to risk it just in case... also it's too fucking snoopy for my taste.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I just regard anything she’s in as a hallmark of crap and watch something else instead.
I'm just glad I don't pay for the TV licence in our house.

Public Enemy were 100% correct over 30 years ago and nothings changed, if anything it's got worse .. I'd change the "radiation" part to "emotional constipation"

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
BBC to bring back Crackerjack after 35 years Bid to get children to watch more TV also includes revival of The Demon Headmaster
Frances Perraudin​
Mon 11 Feb 2019 11.53 EST​
SOURCE:​

This seems like pretty desperate stuff. And now we want to encourage children to watch television? I think for the whole of my childhood I heard that adults wanted children to watch less television!

Last edited:

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
BBC to bring back Crackerjack after 35 years Bid to get children to watch more TV also includes revival of The Demon Headmaster
Frances Perraudin​
Mon 11 Feb 2019 11.53 EST​
SOURCE:​

This seems like pretty desperate stuff. And now we want to encourage children to watch television? I think for the whole of my childhood I heard that adults wanted children to watch less television!
Give me the child for the first seven years and I'll give you a license fee payer?

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Oh no, the Demon Headmaster scared the bejasus out of me as a kid.