What's Up At The BBC?

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
BBC to bring back Crackerjack after 35 years Bid to get children to watch more TV also includes revival of The Demon Headmaster
Frances Perraudin​
Mon 11 Feb 2019 11.53 EST​
SOURCE:​

This seems like pretty desperate stuff. And now we want to encourage children to watch television? I think for the whole of my childhood I heard that adults wanted children to watch less television!
They used to tell me it would make my eyes go square.

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
This seems like pretty desperate stuff. And now we want to encourage children to watch television? I think for the whole of my childhood I heard that adults wanted children to watch less television!
Perhaps tv watching is now considered less evil than video gaming.
Take it from someone who watched Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Night Gallery as a kid. I now enjoy chopping up zombies in Walking Dead and Resident Evil games. I guess that I was on the track to ruination at an early age

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Tricky for the beeb. One the one hand they're overrun by left wing social-constructionists and on the other, they have to do what the government tells them if they want free money.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
Tricky for the beeb. One the one hand they're overrun by left wing social-constructionists and on the other, they have to do what the government tells them if they want free money.
social constructionists sound a lot like sjw.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
.. and on the third hand, they're a pay for view. After Sir David Attenborough shuffles this mortal coil, I haven't been able to find any new reasons yet for watching BBC1.

Kryptonite

Dazed and confused for so long it's not true
BBC to bring back Crackerjack after 35 years Bid to get children to watch more TV also includes revival of The Demon Headmaster
Frances Perraudin​
Mon 11 Feb 2019 11.53 EST​
SOURCE:​

CRACKERJACK!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That may explain why both the left and the right claim that the BBC is biased. Although I find it exceedingly hard to see how they have any right-wing bias. Photoshopping a commie-style hat on Corbyn and Fiona Armstrong getting pissy with Diana Abbott on Questiontime were just accidental blips I think. Diana Abbot is enough to make even a shy bald Buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder.
The kind of people who think that the BBC is right-biased may well be of the opinion that anyone to the right of Stalin is 'far-right'. :D

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Beeb are now planning cutting the length of News At Ten to make way for youth programming.

The BBC News at Ten is to be shortened by ten minutes in a bid to attract younger viewers.
The corporation has announced plans to trim the nightly news to make way for youth programming that originated on BBC Three.
The move comes three years after the news bulletin was extended to provide “more analysis and explanation.”
It will see the evening programme finishing at 10.35pm rather than 10.45pm.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/11/bbc-news-ten-cut-make-way-youth-programming/
This seems to be a pointless idea. Youth are abandoning terrestrial TV in favour of online, Netflix and streaming media. The BBC plan to cut the news short to show their ‘youth’ products from BBC3. A channel they switched to internet only just recently. Repeating Fleabag - a programme their target group has probably already seen ages ago, as well as their other ‘youth’ shows 10 minutes earlier won’t make any difference apart from alienating older traditional viewers who, lets face it, are more likely to be actually paying the licence fee and is a really bad decision however you look at it.

Beeb are now planning cutting the length of News At Ten to make way for youth programming.

This seems to be a pointless idea. Youth are abandoning terrestrial TV in favour of online, Netflix and streaming media. The BBC plan to cut the news short to show their ‘youth’ products from BBC3. A channel they switched to internet only just recently. Repeating Fleabag - a programme their target group has probably already seen ages ago, as well as their other ‘youth’ shows 10 minutes earlier won’t make any difference apart from alienating older traditional viewers who, lets face it, are more likely to be actually paying the licence fee and is a really bad decision however you look at it.
Its a load of bollix! Dumbing down (what it is in effect) is not a good idea and as you point out won't produce the desired result.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
That may explain why both the left and the right claim that the BBC is biased. Although I find it exceedingly hard to see how they have any right-wing bias. Photoshopping a commie-style hat on Corbyn and Fiona Armstrong getting pissy with Diana Abbott on Questiontime were just accidental blips I think. Diana Abbot is enough to make even a shy bald Buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder.
Wasn’t it Fiona Bruce on Question Time?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I can see them getting the kids up for a new game called ‘Woke or Broke?’.
I can’t see them getting away with a Crackerjack Pencil as a prize though.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I can see them getting the kids up for a new game called ‘Woke or Broke?’.
I can’t see them getting away with a Crackerjack Pencil as a prize though.
Kids are more savvy about that now. Or more materialistic. Whatever, the prizes will have be cool to get the kids to watch it.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
The latest i phone ? A ton of money? Their own portable safe space, like one of those porta potties?

Kryptonite

Dazed and confused for so long it's not true
How the actual fuck does Question of Sport make it to a primetime 8:30 pm slot on a friday night? What’s going on? This is the worst show in the history of time.
It could be a decent show if they made some changes. I would suggest the following;

1- a new host to replace the vanilla personality vacuum that is Sue Barker.

2-new team captains to replace Dawson and Tufnell, two of the most intolerable human beings ever to grace our screens. They're like two show-off children who've had too much sugar and have spotted a girl that they secretly fancy and have decided the best way to impress her us to be loud and jump around a lot.

3- guests with personalities instead of beige flavoured mannequins who've recently won in some middle-class sport that no-one watches.

4- actual quiz questions instead of extended games of charades where the studio audience giggle at an embarrassingly low volume.

5- oh sod it, just cancel it and bring back Bullseye

6- but not if Vernon Kay is hosting it. Anyone other than him, please.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Their own portable safe space, like one of those porta potties?
Now there's an idea for a business.

Does the world not conform to your 'correct' values?
Regular people taking no notice of you?
Don't like being told you're wrong?
Guilty about being well off?

The answer to your problems is here!

The "Portasafespace"; once you're in your own little world, everything will be fine.

5- oh sod it, just cancel it and bring back Bullseye
Smashing. Lovely.

(the Coalettes watch 'Bullseye' and find it hugely entertaining)

6- but not if Vernon Kay is hosting it. Anyone other than him, please.
Or Joe Lycett, he's like Julian Clary, but without the humour.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
2-new team captains to replace Dawson and Tufnell, two of the most intolerable human beings ever to grace our screens. They're like two show-off children who've had too much sugar and have spotted a girl that they secretly fancy and have decided the best way to impress her us to be loud and jump around a lot.
How about Reeves and Mortimer and then do away with the sports questions?

Rahere

Junior Acolyte
And then there's the Common Purpose angle. Mr Bruvva used to work as Noel Edmonds' Sound Engineer until they started telling everyone to follow their brand of Political Correktion.

ShadyCavalier

Devoted Cultist

30-60 minutes of news thrice a day PLUS BBC Breakfast in an era of constant online updates is the truly pointless idea. It irks me that drivetime and teatime talk radio and TV is geared toward news (PM, The One Show, 6 O'Clock News etc.). Most jobs are based at a computer and most people check the news during the day. An hour of paid commentary is pointless and does nothing for stress levels and anxiety, not to mention entertainment.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
I fucking hate "the news" it's all politics and blahblahblah and whatnot, what about "man marries chicken" or "look at these amusingly shaped vegetables" or "scientists discover amoeba that is allergic to custard"? Those are the stories I care about.