• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What's Your Jinx/What's Your Luck?

You can still get fat with a high metabolism but it's hard to do. Especially after that sissy punk Jamie Oliver started to get Britain to shame all the fatty foods makers in 2006. They just took everything off the shelves. I lost so much weight family thought I was suffering with a serious illness. My brother got the same as well. Now Jamie back again doing the same again. He could of done a side diet for the people who need a high chollestral. And thought about high metabolism ideas with food too. But he didn't card about us.

That's a good amount of running. I've never run 30 miles in a week. Maybe I have walked in two weeks. I am a fast walker. The fastest walk was 3 miles in 15 minutes. I had to be careful that day because a cab was waiting for me in another town with my friends. We were going out. So I walked it fast but making sure I didn't sweat by holding my arms out a bit like John Wayne hands over gun thing. When I walk like that it isn't the silly fast walking you see in competions and the Goldbergs Mum.

Escargot does your snail have a belly button ring of is that something else ;)

The tall skinny ex* had strange beliefs. He used to brag that he had a high metabolism and so would never get fat.

Dunno where he got this idea but he LOVED it.
I, being short and chubby, obviously had a low metabolism which was nothing to be proud of.

I'd tell him this was rubbish and he'd argue, until we saw some pop science TV programme about nutrition which mentioned that thinner people have a lower metabolism which made their bodies less efficient at processing food into energy and body fat. (Also probably simplistic rubbish.)

After that he shut up about metabolisms. :chuckle:

*A high school science teacher no less.
It could be he had an over active thyroid, that would make him able to eat and not put on weight, i worked with a guy with a thyroid condition who ate like it was going out of fashion but was skinny as a rake.

That's a good amount of running. I've never run 30 miles in a week. Maybe I have walked in two weeks. I am a fast walker. The fastest walk was 3 miles in 15 minutes. I had to be careful that day because a cab was waiting for me in another town with my friends. We were going out. So I walked it fast but making sure I didn't sweat by holding my arms out a bit like John Wayne hands over gun thing. When I walk like that it isn't the silly fast walking you see in competions and the Goldbergs Mum.
Three miles in 15 minutes? That’s elite marathon speeds.

Yeah I'd have to build up to that these days. I still walk fast but I haven't walked that fast in a couple of years. Everything ceases up with my feet going slower because of all this covid and staying off the streets. I slip stream people too. On the 15 minutes 3 miles i probably broke my hymen on that day. I was listening to Iron Maidens Angel And The Gambler on my walkman. But yeah I had to be faster then my pal Jamie who always walked so fast. In the end I did get much faster then him.

I don't think I've run 30 miles in 49 years!!! Running "is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder".
I hate doing it, if that's any help. But the combination of my liking for food but wanting to still fit into size 10 jeans, and a hyperactive dog works wonders when it comes to motivation...

It could be he had an over active thyroid, that would make him able to eat and not put on weight, i worked with a guy with a thyroid condition who ate like it was going out of fashion but was skinny as a rake.

He didn't have any other symptoms. Apart from being a twat, is that a sign?

Oh yeah...almost forgot to reply. :oops:

My jinx--anything even vaguely electronic. I'm a total Luddite and I can destroy any electronic device ever created. I am death on machines. :comphit:

My luck? Still looking for it!

This has been mentioned elsewhere, probably on the Lost/Found thread -

If I can't find something and eventually give up looking and reluctantly order a new one, the original immediately turns up. This has happened to me with what used to be called monotonous regularity for decades.

Camera batteries/chargers/cards do this: I have been known to sit on the sofa unboxing a camera accessory and glance over to my Camera Stuff Box and think ''old on, 'ow long's THAT been THERE? Wonder if my (expensive lost and re-ordered item) is in it?'

Yes, yes it is ALWAYS in it, and I have no IDEA how I've managed to overlook it.

So I've been looking for my pushbike butty-box for a few years now, on and off. I used it on my mountain bike when commuting to and from my last job.
When I arrived home Jeffrey the black cat would meet me. I'd lift her onto the butty box and wheel her round the back of the house like a little Queen Salote.

Anyway... it's probably buried deep in one of the sheds. I have now admitted defeat and ordered a new one. No doubt the old one will fall on my head next time I drag the rake out.

Last edited:
I don't think I've run 30 miles in 49 years!!! Running "is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder".

Running got me fit very fast but is soooooo boring...
I know it suits lots of people but I had to give it up because the tedium was driving me mad.

I'd always had a bike and would go for nice rides on our lovely flat country lanes so a bit more of that was helpful. Then Techy got into it too and we're now the fat wobbly scourges of Cheshire.

Running got me fit very fast but is soooooo boring...
I know it suits lots of people but I had to give it up because the tedium was driving me mad.

I'd always had a bike and would go for nice rides on our lovely flat country lanes so a bit more of that was helpful. Then Techy got into it too and we're now the fat wobbly scourges of Cheshire.
You're right, running is incredibly tedious! But the dog needs to cover some distance in order to be civilised company - running with her means we get the distance in and I don't spend quite so long walking round the lanes. Win win situation! (except I hate every sweaty, sore-footed second of it).

You're right, running is incredibly tedious! But the dog needs to cover some distance in order to be civilised company - running with her means we get the distance in and I don't spend quite so long walking round the lanes. Win win situation! (except I hate every sweaty, sore-footed second of it).

Out on our bike rides we see a lot of people running with dogs. It seems to suit both parties well!

An offroad walking/cycle path between our town and the next is particularly popular for this. Built a few years ago after the paramedics got fed up of scraping motorcyclists off the adjacent main road, it is extremely well-used.

Back