What's Your Local Urban Legend / Folklore / Myth?

Ulalume

tart of darkness
The area where i'm living now has an interesting legend, and it's presence seems to hang over the town. even though talking about it is frowned upon.
This much is true:
In the late 1800's the towns most prominent family had a teenage daughter. She was very beautiful, and (according to the papers) very popular and much adored. In those days, of course, being introduced to soceity as a debutante was very important, and the girl was eagerly preparing for her debut when she suddenly became ill with typhoid. She struggled to survive for weeks but finally succumbed, just before (IIRC) her 17th birthday.
The girl, who I will call "Julia" to avoid her wrath, was mourned by the town.

The town named its high school after the teenager. The original dedication plaque said something about how Julia had never got to experience the exciting teenage social life she had so longed for. Her portrait showed a very beautiful girl wearing yards of lace and a slightly spoiled, petulant look.

The school burned to the ground repeatedly, with no apparent cause, and finally they rebuilt it out of brick. Then the brick work caught fire. Not the inside, mind you. Just the bricks...it couldn't help but be remembered how everything had to be burned during the typhoid outbreak.

The family, over several generations, named several of their daughters Julia. All of them met terrible fates.
One of the family's houses (where the second julia died) is allegedly so haunted that no one will stay in it, even though it's on a beautiful estate. They tried to give it to the church, but the church refused, for unknown reasons. A ghost-hunting television program tried to get inside once but the family wouldn't allow it.
There is a sense of despair and anger in the town that can't be explained away

It might just be superstition, but a lot of us think that Julia is a very jealous, angry ghost - or a force, at least. We try not to get on her bad side...

Delores_de_Syn

Junior Acolyte
I lived most of my life in Canterbury; we had an UL regarding the bit in the Cathedral where Thomas met his end. Some of the stones on the floor of the chapel have a red stain on them and the UL goes that this is where Thomas' blood was spilt and stained the very stone itself

MsQkxyz

Devoted Cultist
I cant remember if I posted in this thread before or not.

My home town Hastings in the UK has "The curse of Aleister Crowley".
Supposedly is you grew up in the town you culd never leave for good.

Mikeyp

Fresh Blood
Hello all, first time poster here.

The area where I live (East Anglia) has a legend about a dog called Black Shuck, it's your basic black dog legend in that it is supposed to fortell a death.

Apparently if you say the name three times its supposed to summon the beast but i'm not sure if this is just a mix up of folk tales over the years. To be fair though I've never had the gall to try it!

Cultjunky

Justified & Ancient
Leeds Witch

Not sure where I heard this one, but being a Loiner I seem to have heard this all my life.

Apparently, Leeds Uni has the skeleton of the last hanged Witch, which it still uses to teach anatomy.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Mikeyp said:
Hello all, first time poster here.

The area where I live (East Anglia) has a legend about a dog called Black Shuck, it's your basic black dog legend in that it is supposed to fortell a death.
Welcome :).

We've a fair bit on Black Dogs, Shuck included, dotted around the board.There's a decent sized thread here, for a start.

_Lizard23_

Justified & Ancient
Re: Leeds Witch

Cultjunky said:
Not sure where I heard this one, but being a Loiner I seem to have heard this all my life.

Apparently, Leeds Uni has the skeleton of the last hanged Witch, which it still uses to teach anatomy.
I'm not 100% sure but I believe this is in the Thackray Medical Museum.

Cultjunky

Justified & Ancient
Not really an UL then :oops: . I only ever half believed it, because the most info I ever got was that she was called Mary something

paralounge

Fresh Blood

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
In my late teens (mid 1990s), there was a rumour/ urban myth that I heard at least 3 times from different people.

The story was that a guy who lived near Glasgow (Bishopbriggs was the place that was mentioned twice in relation to this) had taken some dodgy LSD and now could only walk backwards.

I always wondered how he got out of bed each morning if he could only move backwards.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
In my late teens (mid 1990s), there was a rumour/ urban myth that I heard at least 3 times from different people.

The story was that a guy who lived near Glasgow (Bishopbriggs was the place that was mentioned twice in relation to this) had taken some dodgy LSD and now could only walk backwards.

I always wondered how he got out of bed each morning if he could only move backwards.
Michael Jackson.

GNC

King-Sized Canary

I certainly saw a "backwards walker" in Glasgow city centre in the 90s, wonder if it was the same guy?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
It was common during the Eighties and into the Nineties to characterize anyone behaving or acting weird as an "acid casualty."

It was rare, however, to encounter an alleged acid casualty who'd ever used hallucinogens. Conversely, of the few hallucinogen users with whom I'd been acquainted since childhood / youth there weren't any who hadn't behaved weirdly since that earlier age.

My point is that "acid casualty" was a blanket explanation for a lot of folks back then who were more likely to have mental health issues, autism spectrum issues, ADD / ADHD, etc., etc.

an urban legend where i live is "Kitty bout yed" ( Kitty without her head) basically iirc it was a young lady who was murdered by decapitation and burried headless to rise on occassion trying to find her head.... again iirc this was all perpetrated as a dodgy way of getting to the familys fortune? The house she lived in really exists and is about a 1/4 of a mile from my house............ wooooo!!

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I was just reading recently of the black pudding throwing competition in Bury and its alleged origins of the War Of The Roses. Having run out of ammunition they started throwing food at each other. That sounds like plain rubbish to me.

"Stanley, we've run out of weapons, what do we do?"

"Eeh ecky thump were in trouble now. Throw a black pudding at yon bugger."

Really.

Local urban legends...? Not sure but there is a short road in one semi rural area called Reeder Road that allegedly is haunted by a ghost of a young girl...killed in a car crash I think.
Also a couple of haunted houses ...one is the old jail where John Dillinger was once jailed until he escaped...and there is an old house/inn that is allegedly haunted...both were on the original Ghost Hunters some years back.
I don't know of any 'urban legends' like 'Bloody Mary' around here.

I was just reading recently of the black pudding throwing competition in Bury and its alleged origins of the War Of The Roses. Having run out of ammunition they started throwing food at each other. That sounds like plain rubbish to me.

"Stanley, we've run out of weapons, what do we do?"

"Eeh ecky thump were in trouble now. Throw a black pudding at yon bugger."

Really.
I reckon it originated with Monty Python.