• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What's Your Local Urban Legend / Folklore / Myth?

He would be driving around a corner in the warehouse and run right into a group of 'people' hanging up in the air, watching him. They were former employees who had all passed on, but were still there. It was creepy because they were up high, not standing on the floor.
He saw them so many times that eventually they had to move.
The ghosts had to move?

And I worked in a local company office some years back, which had moved from a building miles away in another town.
Turned out they had moved because the old place was horribly haunted, and it was well known that it was.
It was a warehouse storing drums and heavy supplies. The man who worked in the warehouse which was huge, worked on a forklift, bringing shipments in and out.
He would be driving around a corner in the warehouse and run right into a group of 'people' hanging up in the air, watching him. They were former employees who had all passed on, but were still there. It was creepy because they were up high, not standing on the floor.
He saw them so many times that eventually they had to move.
Blimey. When I go, I can think of about a hundred places I would haunt before I'd hang round my old workplace.

LOL - The owners wished the ghosts had moved on!
I really didn't believe them at first, seems so odd. And as @catseye said, why on earth would they all stay at work of all places?
They must have had a good time back in the day! :)
Also, did they all only EVER work in that warehouse? I've worked in half a dozen locations over the years. How would I know which one I'm supposed to haunt?

Also, did they all only EVER work in that warehouse? I've worked in half a dozen locations over the years. How would I know which one I'm supposed to haunt?
Maybe you can haunt a different one each day?
Might get tiring though! :)

Anyone who has worked for the artificial insemination companies will tell you that bull's sperm is a) quite hard to come by (sorry) and b) worth a lot of money. Bulls that are kept as bulls are valuable breeding stock, and they aren't going to be spunking away money (sorry) by putting that stuff in drinks.
Indeed, a pal of mine pointed out to me that the price of Red Bull would be extremely expensive if bull sperm was included ! But I think that the hoax certainly convinced at least some people.

a) Glamis castle

b) Tesco, Milton Keynes

Hmmm...

maximus otter
Go ahead, haunt Tesco, that's what I plan to do. We don't have Tesco in Australia....

While fishing Forfar Loch at erm, Forfar (25 years ago) - I was often approached by auld crusty locals who would assure me the the Loch was bottomless. They would point to a couple of bouys and tell me 'aye, in between them - nae bottom'

Useless to tell them that in the height of summer I could wade out to those bouys and it was about 3 foot deep...

Next week I get to excavate a burial underneath the floor of a local church. It was uncovered before back in the 80's and local talk says that it was a 'knight'. I shall report back......
And the result is.......... inconclusive

All we could establish is that the burial is probably medieval but nothing to indicate he/she was a knight. The body was was laid with the head furthest away from the altar which suggests the person was not a priest. The skeleton was missing both arms so you could put this down to conflict injury! (or just decomposition). Got an osteoarchaeologist coming down today to establish sex, etc.

And the result is.......... inconclusive

All we could establish is that the burial is probably medieval but nothing to indicate he/she was a knight. The body was was laid with the head furthest away from the altar which suggests the person was not a priest. The skeleton was missing both arms so you could put this down to conflict injury! (or just decomposition). Got an osteoarchaeologist coming down today to establish sex, etc.
Just found out the burial is of a women. So unless it is Brienne of Tarth it isnt a knight! Another tale unravelled!

Member of a local family who gave significantly to the church?
Do they bury them beneath the floor of the church? Usually a prominent wealthy church goer had a large monument at his/her gravesite.

Do they bury them beneath the floor of the church? Usually a prominent wealthy church goer had a large monument at his/her gravesite.
I believe in medieval times wealthy patrons could be buried close to the altar (or in chapels that they had donated money to have built). Plebs got buried outside.

Member of a local family who gave significantly to the church?
More than likely. The village manor house is next door to the church and behind the church is a moated site (which we will be excavating shortly) which we think may have been an earlier manor house. At some time I will have to take a trip out to Beverley archives to have a look at the burial records.

I believe in medieval times wealthy patrons could be buried close to the altar (or in chapels that they had donated money to have built). Plebs got buried outside.
Interestingly, when we excavated down the sides of the coffin we uncovered a couple of extra skulls! It looked like these were uncovered when digging the hole for the coffin and reburied with the backfill.

The current church began life as a chantry chapel for the local lords of the manor, the mother church being over in Snaith. Gives me something to research I suppose!

Back