• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What's Your Superhero Special Power?

Dark Detective said:
I've now developed the ability to summon groups of the most picky and indecisive people on the face of earth, who just make it to the takeaway counter before I do.
A 'lady' once pushed in front of me in the queue at the Post Office, and proceed to ask for 5 scratchcards and 15 lottery tickets. While the tickets were being printed out, she scratched the cards and found she'd won a tenner. So guess what she did... :rolleyes:

Anyway, people seem to enjoy pushing in front of me in queues. Not sure if that's a special power, or if I just look like the kind of person who won't argue about it.

The ability to attract 'Nutters' is not particularly unusual, but a young lady I know has the largest and most powerful wierdo magnet I have ever come across

These include such individuals as the turnip pants magician, and Mr. banana swallower

She is currently putting together some of the best (maybe not the right word) of these encounters, keeping the numbers down to the low tens, and will post them on the web

I will stick a link in when the site is finished

She also says that she will change times and names on the stories so that none of my fortean brothers and sisters need fear being publicly shamed

Originally posted by taras
On another note, I can also do this weird thing with my thumbs because they're double jointed. That's probably infinitely more impressive

Woo! I can do that, too, with my right thumb (my mother can do it with the thumb on her left hand). I can also:

- Memorise classical pieces after a couple of read-throughs of a score. Not contemporary scores, however.

- Appear to all cats within a 5 yard radius as a rubbing post (I'm allergic to cats).

- Appear to all children everywhere as a superhappyfunplayhouse with real pullable hair, real huggable middle, and very low resistance to the commands LETZGOTOTHEPARKNOW and TELLMEASTORYTELLMEASTORYTELLMEASTORY! Sigh.

- By dint of looking quite young and being of indeterminate ethnic origin, make strangers USE SHORT WORDS AND TALK TO ME VERRRRRRYYYY SLOOOOWWWLYYY.

- Walk into furniture/drop objects/spill tea, food, etc.

- Tell what people are really feeling.

- Yodel.

I can also, I've recently discovered, kill threads in a single post. Hurrah!

Best get onto the threadkiller thread then. that one's really pissing me off!

Dark Detective said:
My powers are growing stronger.
It's getting out of control now. It's like I'm Jean Grey or something, about to disappear up my own bottom.
To add to my dazzling array I have the ability to attract people to the Express Checkout just before I arrive, people who have 20+ items and then decide they want to pay by cheque.

Flame On!:furious:

I have the ability to not be able to follow spoken instructions. If some one says "put that over there" I will take the wrong thing and place it in the wrong place ...

Perhaps if people were more specific as to what they wanted moved and gave better directions I'd loose my powers instantly!

I have the useful but rather irritating power of being able to summon public transport simply by lighting a cigarette. Or maybe this is just some sort of small sub-clause of Murphy's Law that only applys to me...

oh it happens to me too. And other people I know - i remember when we waiting for hours for a bus - "someone light a fag, it'll certainly turn up within seconds of that"

Tis a case of making a small burnt offering to the god of bus queues.

Either that or all Oxford buses are fitted with hyper sensitive smoke detectors.

We have for years referred to the act of lighting a cigarette at a bus stop as the "Bus Summoning Dance" up here in sunny Liverpool... I've no idea where that started...

I have a strange ability that's a little hard to describe, but I'll always know when I enter a place for the first time if it will become a familiar one. For instance if I'm having a job interview at the place where I'll work, I'll know as soon as I walk into the building, before the interview has even taken place if I'll get the job because of a feeling which is similar to deja vu, but instead of the place feeling familiar like it's happened before, the feeling is that it WILL become familiar, and it's never failed me yet.

Most recently, this has happened about two weeks ago when my mother and I were house-hunting, as soon as the real estate agent drove us into the driveway of the new place I knew it was the one. Sure enough, this is the house my parents decided to buy and the sale has gone through.

But still, I'm not sure this qualifies as a superhero special power because as far as I can tell it's entirely useless.

Yes the 'lucky fag' also works for summoning taxis.

I have the following superpowers:

1. I can remember vast quantities of details except names and faces.

2. I can find stuff that is lost - however, my brother is even better at it than I am.

3. I am a freak magnet (weirdos seem to travel long distances to find me). I am on the death list of a guy who was diagnosed as being as a potential serial killer who is locked up in a secure (I hope) mental instituion for trying to kill someone - the trick is to know who is higher up the list than you are and make sure you check on them once a week.

4. I can block just about any toilet - handy if a supervillian was planning on destroying the world with a Toilet of Ultimate Doom. I went through a phase of breakng them too (usually just the seat and not the procellain) but that seems to have largely passed (no pun intended).

5. I'm always late - I'm starting to think that I am just out of phase with everyone elses time. I am always 22 minutes late getting to the pub no matter how hard I try but text messages I send appear to arrive before I send them.

6. I always manage to steer the conversation around to toilets and toilet-related matters without trying to (although point 4 would tend to disprove that).

7. I'm very clumsy - my friends often call me Captain Cackhands. Sometimes I can go for weeks without and problem and then have Clumsy Days where I'm always dropping things, walking into things, etc.

[edit: I almost forgot:

8. I'm always right - even when I'm wrong which combined with power number 1 makes me a tricky Trvial Pursuit/Pub Quiz partner - I know so much stuff and am always very sure that I know the answer that people tend to go along with my answer when sometimes they know the right answer and I don't. The success rate of this strategy is high enough to make it worthwhile people trusting me but if expressed some kind of doubt then people might feel more confident about proposing an alternative ;) ]

Emps

not much anything of use, but ...

i can sleep without it being noticed (this was useful during school). however, i also dont seem to require a whole lot of sleep. i get as much as i can, but can go for long periods without it, too.

i can goof off without it being noticed (useful throughout life).

i have good spatial memory. once ive been someplace, i never forget how to get there.

i also frequently get freebies in restaurants. usually its drinks, but sometimes desserts, or part of a meal is comped, for no apparent reason.

I can make an entire room go silent and people's hearing to miraculously improve by saying something stupid.
I can also calm down distressed animals by speaking. Comes in handy at the RSPCA...

I also have a drunk-lecherous-drug-addicted-over50-year-:_old:-man attracting power. :nooo: :hmph:

Re: REAL SUPERPOWERS

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/pwr_superpower.html?pg=1&topic=&top
Once fitted with an implant, you could simply switch from the camera to the sonic flashlight when you wanted to look through walls. Getting cyborged might be too much trouble for 13-year-olds who merely want to see through skirts, but not for law enforcement and other moneyed snoops.

Wonderful. x-ray vision. That'll be just great for the masses of paedophiles out there. Why don't they just give them timetables for kids' parents going out?

Lauren Churchill said:

I can make an entire room go silent and people's hearing to miraculously improve by saying something stupid.

Ahhhhhh that reminds me that I have the power to say something very embarassing just when a song stops on a juke box. It helps that I have the powers of a very loud booming voice anyway (you don't need to tap my phone just stand around in the street).

Emps

taras said:
It's like this--

Keen! I can do that with my right thumb. It's because the thumb joint is unusually shallow, You're actually dislocating your thumb.

Cujo

Super Powers

I have this super power of being able to say something quite genious and unique but in a strange language as when I have one of my moments of complete marvel nobody can understand a single word I say........accusing my language of having no real words and probably no written from. Can anybody else relate to these problems?

This is after 1:00 am on a Saturday morning:_pished:

Yes, I do that too, but instead of saying it, I type it on this very message board. :)

I forgot all those things I can do. That thumb thing for one; and I can dislocate my jaw like a snake. Really scares kids, that one :devil: I can also smell blood (and I must agree, it has more of a taste of copper than a smell) AND I can hear really high-pitched things. Dog whistles, for instance, and I can hear things when other people can't. Kind of annoying coz people think I'm schizphrenic or something... wouldn't be far off :rolleyes:

I'd like to be a living tesla coil. by that I mean have the ability to discharge incredibly high voltage sparks at varying currents (depending on whether or not I want to stun or kill) which I can regulate and control. also have an electric eel like defense mechanism when grabbed ahold of (or when I grab ahold of someone, making it an attack mechanism as well). It is the most practical and effective super power ever in my opinion.

Search said:
I'd like to be a living tesla coil. by that I mean have the ability to discharge incredibly high voltage sparks at varying currents (depending on whether or not I want to stun or kill) which I can regulate and control. also have an electric eel like defense mechanism when grabbed ahold of (or when I grab ahold of someone, making it an attack mechanism as well). It is the most practical and effective super power ever in my opinion.

I have a very light version of this power. I seem to pick up static charges very easily, which then discharge to the nearest piece of metal / person. It is, in fact, the least practical and most irritating "power" that I can think of!

Of course, I don't have conscious power over it.

the ability to not laugh/shout at 'customers' who ask obvious/silly quetsions on the phone to me on a daily basis, although this ability may decline with more experience

Back