• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

When Dogs Attack

mindalai said:
I'd still want the family investigated anyway, if only because it sounds as if the two year old is practically changing his own nappies. :?

I agree that that seems to be a "rush" job of parenting, but is that illegal?

Opinions as to activities and complexities which children should be able to master by age two differ not only between cultures but between next-door neighbors and between siblings.

Yeah, some toddlers are very pro-active when it comes to toileting. My eldest was a nightmare - we used to have to check every hour or so not to see if he was dirty, but if he was even wearing a nappy any more. He could take them off quite readily (it's easy with disposables once they learn the trick and get a bit of hand strength.) Eventually he learnt to go and get a fresh one to give to you to put on him. So on that count I'm not overly concerned about the toddler in the report - what I am really worried about is having a toddler and a pit-bull in the same house. Possessive and notoriously unstable fighting-breed dog and small, attention demanding human contending for the same master? Not good.

And I don't care how friendly or docile the dog is. Any dog can suddenly turn, without warning, and to leave a child alone with a pit bull is about the most irresponsible thing a parent can do, IMHO.

tonyblair11 said:
The dog thought the kid was a rival dog and tried to "dominate" him. Big dogs will do that to each other, so thats my best guess. :(

But a two-year-old dog is fully adult and would thus regard a two-year-old human as "just a pup" and not a rival.

That's the reason that a healthy, normal adult dog will very often show long-suffering patience around toddlers, not complaining as they attempt to ride it like a pony, etc. "Ah, puppies! What can you do but love 'em?"

Moreover, the basic question's not yet been answered - do dogs come equipped with the knowledge of how to sodomize humans?

OldTimeRadio said:
tonyblair11 said:
The dog thought the kid was a rival dog and tried to "dominate" him. Big dogs will do that to each other, so thats my best guess. :(

But a two-year-old dog is fully adult and would thus regard a two-year-old human as "just a pup" and not a rival.

That's the reason that a healthy, normal adult dog will very often show long-suffering patience around toddlers, not complaining as they attempt to ride it like a pony, etc. "Ah, puppies! What can you do but love 'em?"

Moreover, the basic question's not yet been answered - do dogs come equipped with the knowledge of how to sodomize humans?

A dog - no matter how old - is rarely more than equivalent to a human toddler in its mentality so you just can't say how they'll react.

And dogs come equipped with a sexual instinct and if they'll try and have sex with a rug (as I've seen many of them do!) they'll probably be more than likely to try and have sex with something moving and alive. Dogs mounting other male dogs is often a way of asserting dominance and maybe this is what he was trying to do.

*is very relieved to have a neutered, submissive dog*

Considering the amount of times a dog has tried to hump me in my life I'd find in remarkable if, in the course of human history a dog <b>hadn't</b> managed to accidentally get some poor sod's bum. Such a pity that it had to happen to a 2-year-old of all people.

They're not actually investigating the thing for sexual harassment though, right? Because that would be so ridiculous I'll probably stop breathing.

Lauren, in a world where you can come second in a cake competition even though you're the only entrant, and people think Boris Johnson would make a good Mayor for London, anything can happen.

But I know what you mean, any implication that the dog actually had any criminal intent toward the child is mind boggling. What will they do, send it for therapy or to a Sex Offender's Unit?

Oh, and Minda - if I come to your house, I'm not going to sit on that rug, OK? ;)

One crazy Cujo dog on the loose:

Savage dog which killed 80 cats attacked woman
June 04, 2008

"TRAPS are being set for a rogue dog which is believed to have savaged a woman and killed up to 80 cats in a killing spree in a Queensland country town.

South Burnett Mayor David Carter has now made an urgent public appeal for help in finding the dog.

Golden Pines Medical Centre secretary Cheryl Bemrose, who was mauled by the brindle staffordshire bull terrier-cross two weeks ago, said she was so terrified by the attack she needed counselling.

Appearing on dusk as she locked the centre in Chester St, Nanango, the dog bit Mrs Bemrose's leg, dragged her beneath a veranda railing and halfway across her work car park before it was finally beaten off with a broom.

Both she and her rescuer, medical centre nurse Marigold Robinson, said they could not rest until the dog was found and put down.

Mrs Bemrose said she had heard a horrible screaming and saw the dog and a smaller dog attacking Missie - an 18-year-old tortoiseshell cat belonging to neighbours Pat and John Gormley - on the surgery veranda. "I screamed and the dog dropped her (the cat) and came and latched on to my leg and dragged me under the railing through the dirt and trees," she said.

Mrs Robinson said the same dog mauled the surgery cat Fatty eight months ago, and there were fears it would attack a child.

Cr Carter said the dog appeared well looked after and someone must know its owner."

Article:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... public_rss

NEWS CANADA
Update: 'There was blood everywhere': Dogs put down after attack

AIDAN COX AND ALISON MAH

FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, AUGUST 13, 2016 11:02 AM MDT

Article

OTTAWA - Police shot and killed two dogs after what one witness described as a “scary, traumatic” attack on a man and a woman Saturday morning in the city’s east end.

The animals were loose in the Orléans area bordered by 10th Line Road, Tompkins Avenue, Des Epinettes Avenue and Duford Road when the attack happened around 11:15 a.m, police said.

Patrol officers arrived at the scene and put the animals down, said Acting Sgt. Wayne Wilson. “Because of the aggressive nature of the dogs, they had to be put down. They were still being aggressive when officers arrived.”

Police said they looked to be pit bull-type dogs, but that breed had not yet been confirmed.

Paramedics said a woman, 25, and a man, 66, were involved in the attack. The woman suffered severe lacerations to both her upper arms, as well as her head, face, back and buttocks.

The man, who attempted to help the woman during the attack, had lacerations to his left knee. Both were transported to hospital in stable condition.

This is the second reported dog attack in nearly three weeks in Ottawa. A woman’s arm was mauled by a pit bull-type dog owned by her daughter on July 23. Ottawa bylaw officers confiscated the male dog and euthanized him several days later.

Tina Lavoie-Deschamps was in bed in her home on Lamoureux Avenue when she heard screaming coming from outside.

“I ran out and made it to the trees,” said Lavoie-Dechamps, pointing to a row of pine trees between the street and the front yard of her and her neighbours’ townhouses. “And I realized I can’t help her because it’s two huge pit bulls — they were big.”

Over the next four or five minutes, the dogs “would not let go” of the woman, said Lavoie-Deschamps, describing the ferocity of the attack. “They were just attacking her — she was on the ground and there was blood everywhere. It was bad,” she said.

During the attack, several passing motorists stopped at the scene and started blowing their horns in an effort to distract the dogs, she added. “A couple of minutes later, an older guy came with a shovel, so the dog went to go and attack him but he hit him in the head so then the dog ran away … so (the woman being attacked) had time to get in a car.”

Lavoie-Deschamps, has only lived in the neighbourhood for a month now and said she is “terrified” to let her three children play outside. “They keep on wanting to go outside and I won’t allow them.”

Danielle Watcher was driving in her car near where the attack happened on Lamoureux Drive and Des Epinettes Avenue, when she heard screaming.

“The dogs were almost dragging the girl. They kept pulling her down and pulling her down,” she said. “I was trying to stomp my feet, honk my horn, just doing anything to create commotion and scare the dogs off and nothing was working. These dogs were definitely in a state of survival mode or something, where they were just attacking this person.”

After the man with the shovel intervened, the dogs ran across the street, where they were eventually barricaded by police cars. She did not see an owner.

“It was really scary, traumatic,” she said.

One of the dogs was shot in the driveway of a home along Duvernay Drive – about a five-minute walk from where the attack happened. Rachelle Fisher lives next door to the Duvernay Drive home where the first dog was killed. She said she heard the gunshots at around 11:45 a.m.

She credited for inclement weather for keeping kids inside. “There are a lot of kids who play hockey out on the street, so thank God the rain came at the right time.”

The city’s bylaw services and the Ottawa police will be carrying out an investigation, said Sgt. Wilson.

The owner of the dog had not yet been identified.

Any witnesses to the attack are asked to contact Ottawa police. Anonymous tips can be submitted by calling Crime Stoppers toll-free at 1-800-222-8477(TIPS) or by downloading the Ottawa police app.

Breaking News:
Boy in Halstead dies after being bitten by dog

A boy has died after being bitten by a dog in Halstead, Essex Police said.
A 29-year-old woman has been arrested for allowing a dog to be dangerously out of control.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-37129134
This story has been updated with new info, and details on the sentencing law that applies (same URL).

WTF?

Man mauled to death by his dog during interview with BBC crew
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...view-bbc-film-crew-staffordshire-bull-terrier
A man has died after being savaged by his dog while being interviewed by a BBC documentary film crew in north London.

The man, named locally as Mario Perivoitos, 41, was with the film crew at his home in Wood Green on 20 March when his Staffordshire bull terrier attacked, biting him in the neck.

The crew called an ambulance shortly before 10.30pm and the man was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead two hours later, the Metropolitan police confirmed.

Dog Took Crack Cocaine Before Killing a Man.

The victim is said to have taken cocaine himself, before his larynx was torn out by the Bull Terrier. All of this while the BBC were there to film a documentary on drugs!

There have been reports of dogs - and squirrels! - feasting on stashes of drugs they sniff out and going on the rampage but this must be one of the best documented so far. :(

Are they positive it was her dogs that attacked her and not someone elses?

Are they positive it was her dogs that attacked her and not someone elses?

Yup, was it in fact a Sasquatch or summat and are the dogs being unfairly blamed, in a Beddgelert scenario?

Well, as the report says, she was out walking her dogs, her half eaten body was found with those dogs chewing on her, so it's likely it was the dogs that did it - there were injuries on her that indicated she had tried to fend them off. Might have been someone else's pets, but it's not probable.

Well, as the report says, she was out walking her dogs, her half eaten body was found with those dogs chewing on her, so it's likely it was the dogs that did it - there were injuries on her that indicated she had tried to fend them off. Might have been someone else's pets, but it's not probable.
It's entirely possible that she fainted or collapsed of a heart attack and the dogs bit her to wake her up. When she did, she fought them and then they fought back, killing her.

From the report: "Asked about [her friend] Norris’s comments on Saturday [that the dogs couldn't have done it], [investigator] Agnew said the evidence found at the scene, including the defensive wounds, clearly showed that the dogs were responsible for Stephens’ death."

She was only 22, and in the peak of health. The police also said there was other evidence they did not intend to release out of respect to the victim's family, so presumably they have very good reason to blame the dogs.

From the report: "Asked about [her friend] Norris’s comments on Saturday [that the dogs couldn't have done it], [investigator] Agnew said the evidence found at the scene, including the defensive wounds, clearly showed that the dogs were responsible for Stephens’ death."

She was only 22, and in the peak of health. The police also said there was other evidence they did not intend to release out of respect to the victim's family, so presumably they have very good reason to blame the dogs.

Or they are covering up for a local Werewolf Pack.

A team of scientists in India is investigating why packs of stray dogs in villages near the north Indian town of Sitapur have mysteriously started killing children.

920x920.jpg

A dog stands among non-segregated waste at a compost plant in Mysuru, India

In just a week, six children between 5 and 12-years-old were killed by snarling strays, while more than two dozen others have been injured in attacks.

The attacks have terrorized the town and, according to local reports, school attendance has dropped and villagers in the town say they believe the killer beasts are hyenas, not dogs. Vigilante dog-catching squads have started shooting and strangling animals, while local authorities have recruited policemen, municipal workers and a team of expert monkey catchers to apprehend the strays.

The World Wildlife Fund and the Indian Veterinary Research Institute have sent teams to figure out what has turned the dogs into child killers.

A total of 12 children have died in dog attacks since November.

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Stray-dogs-are-killing-children-in-India-12903240.php

maximus otter

Perhaps hiring monkey catchers won't help in either case.

The local authorities took action to survey the problem and capture the aggressive dogs ...

UP Minister Washes His Hands Off Sitapur Dog Attack Deaths

Sitapur, Uttar Pradesh: A minister in Yogi Adityanath's cabinet in Uttar Pradesh has said the government cannot be held responsible for deaths due to stray dog attacks in Sitapur. "If an animal enters somewhere and bites someone, how are the government and the administration responsible?" urban development minister of the state Suresh Kumar Khanna told news agency ANI on Saturday.

The minister's remarks come amid panic in Sitapur, after an alarming rise in the number of stray dog attacks. Eight people, mostly children, have died only in May and 14 in the last six months in Sitapur and areas nearby. The last case was reported on May 18, when an 8-year-old girl was mauled to death by a pack of stray dogs.

Around 22 villages in Khairabad block of Sitapur are affected by the dog menace. Taking note of the repeated incidents of dog attacks in Sitapur, the Allahabad High Court had asked the Uttar Pradesh government on May 17, to spell out the steps being taken to curb the menace.

Following the court's observations and rising panic and anger in the district, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had formed a committee to look into the stray dog attacks. ...

The district administration is now using drones and night vision binoculars to track the dogs. There are around 100 savage dogs, out of which 22 have been captured and sent to Lucknow, where their behaviour is being studied. The district magistrate of Sitapur, Sheetal Verma, has assured residents saying there is round the clock help available and a helpline has been setup, which the residents can call to give information about stray dogs.

Earlier this month the Director of Bareilly-based Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) RK Singh had told news agency PTI, "When the abattoirs were operational, the dogs used to get food in form of leftovers. But, with the closure of the abattoirs, there was a shortage of food for the dogs...before this, such aggressive nature of dogs was not reported."

SOURCE: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/utt...ent-responsible-for-stray-dog-attacks-1858166

... And subsequent inquiries indicated the attacking animals were in fact domestic dogs ...

Community dogs behind Sitapur attacks, says IVRI

... A detailed report prepared by the Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), Bareilly, has stated that community dogs were behind fatal attack in Sitapur.

A four-member team comprising scientists from the institute had visited Sitapur on May 9, on the request of the district administration. The team, in its detailed report, has stated that dogs were attacking because of hunger as sources of their food — slaughter houses had been shut in the district.

The team visited Khairabad area and took samples of soiled blood and the skin. Besides, hair samples were collected from the dead dogs killed during attacks. Besides, dogs’saliva samples were also collected. The genomic analysis of the samples at the IVRI revealed that they matched with the domesticated dog species. ...

SOURCE: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ur-attacks-says-ivri/articleshow/64297588.cms

These dog attacks on children were not limited to Sitapur ...

After Sitapur, Stray Dog Menace Now in Ghaziabad, Minor Girl Dies

... After Sitapur, the menace of stray dogs has now spread to Ghaziabad. According to an ANI report, a minor girl died after being attacked by stray dogs in Ghaziabad district's Modinagar on Monday. As per a report on oneIndia.com, the minor had stepped out of her home on seeing an icecream seller, and her parents were also not at home.

She was not traceable for a long time, and her uncle who was at home that time, probably thought that she was playing with the other kids. It was only after few hours when other women in the villages spotted stray dogs in the field. There they found the dead body of the child, whose ears, legs and hands were eaten up. The family has not filed any FIR till now, now has her body been sent for post-mortem. More details on the case are awaited. ...

Residents of Sitapur are already staying in constant fear, as more than 13 children, and several others have been injured so far. There were reports that UP Police is using drones, and night binoculars to track the wild dogs. Worst is, due to the fear, children have stopped going to school, and neither do they go out to play. The incident is not only limited to Sitapur, but places like Govindsarai, Gurpaliya, Tikariya, Newada, Saraiya, Rahimababd and Badri Kheda are also facing a similar situation.

SOURCE: https://www.latestly.com/india/afte...-now-in-ghaziabad-minor-girl-dies-187207.html

Then the public arguments and appeals to the courts started ...

Sitapur stray dogs killings make it to Supreme Court

... The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to hear on June 1 a plea against alleged rampant culling of stray dogs in Sitapur district of Uttar Pradesh following deaths of several children in the area over the past few months.

The plea was mentioned for urgent hearing before a Bench of Justices L. Nageswara Rao and M.M. Shantanagoudar which said it would hear the matter on June 1.

The petition has sought a direction to Uttar Pradesh government to ensure that no more killings of community dogs take place in the State as an after-effect of death of 13 children in the past seven months in the Sitapur district unless it was established that dogs were behind such attacks. ...

The plea said that subsequent investigations had pointed towards attacks on children by wild animals and not stray dogs.

It has alleged that there was “indiscriminate and inhuman killing” of stray dogs in Sitapur on the mere assumption that the deaths were being allegedly caused by dog attacks. ...

The petition ... has claimed that the magnitude of the problem grew this month when unconfirmed reports of attacks being carried out by stray dogs appeared in the media after statements by the district magistrate of Sitapur. ...

“This rampant massacre led to over 150 community dogs being brutally killed over a span of few days by not only the local people but also under orders of the village panchayats, police officials as well as the officers from district administration,” it claimed.

SOURCE: http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...-make-it-to-supreme-court/article24021291.ece

Back