• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Where Are All The New Ten Pence Coins?

Isle of Man, IIRC. I might have one of those somewhere...

Channel Island £1 coins are very elusive - when I last went to Jersey, £1 notes were still very much in evidence.
I stand corrected. All I could remember that it was one or another of those semi-autonomous islands which dot the waters near the UK. I confess I don't remember Jersey pound notes, but it's well over a decade since I was last there, and we have evidence of how effective my memory is earlier in this very post (if memory serves...), so, y'know...
The metal coin will last longer.
What, even in this brave new world of polymer notes? I fully expect the cockroaches to be making their nests in slightly singed tenners following the inevitable apocalypse that does for the rest of us.

Huh. i read this and thought 'what new 10pence?'. until christmas i worked in retail and never saw one and don't remember even hearing about them. but having googled them, they do ring a bell. i much like the T- tea. so british.

i've checked my purse. no 10p at all. but i do have £1.15 in 5p's. grr. i hate 5p's, stupid little things!

so the 'coin man' at a local car boot sale today, had a good selection of those 10p's for sale. i mentioned how i'd never actually seen one 'in the wild' and he said theres a reason for that.

according to him, the first batch in 2018 of 200,000 were never released to banks but to post offices. from there they could and should have made their way into circulation, but, according to coin man, every 'postmaster' in the country, bought the coins themselves (presumably at 10pence each), and flogged them privately to the collectors markets.

he then said the 2019 batch was supposed to be a run of 2 million coins, but so far they haven't all been released.

Back