• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Where Did Marion Barter Go?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Interested to read about Australian tourist Marion Barter in the latest FT, here's the Wiki rundown of her case:
Story

Basically, she was on a trip of a lifetime to the UK in 1997, without her family, when she stopped contacting them. They became suspicious something was up when she didn't call home on her son's birthday. They then found out the day after the last time she had contacted them, her passport had been used to return to Australia, but nobody knows if it was her who used it. Then, once the police investigation was underway, they found she had changed her name legally before the trip. Every trail has gone cold.

Some say she disappeared deliberately, others that she was murdered (but where is the body?). A detail from Wiki not in the FT report:

"In 2013, Sally was contacted by a stranger named Clark Hunter via a private Facebook message that stated: "Natalia is alive but you (sic) never see her again. It was not her intention to disappear. She was forced." Sally took a screenshot of the message, but the tip was never investigated by police." Probably a nutter, but not what anybody wanted to hear.

Any thoughts?

There is a wonderful podcast produced by the Channel Seven News Network here in Australia on this case which has an episode as current as July this year. New episodes are produced when new information or interviews are at hand. It's a fascinating case that gets more mysterious the more you find out about the details and the people involved.

Listen to it or find out more here (it's worth listening to):

The Lady Vanishes Podcast

I don't know a whole lot about the case - and I'll be giving that podcast a listen later - but my initial thoughts were that, if indeed her disappearance was not voluntary, she may have started something that someone else finished; that is - she maybe collaborated in the opening acts, without realising what the finale was going to be.

It's one of those cases that really brings home to me how much we never really know about the complex tides and undertows that rule a person's life - especially when it comes to family relationships, when often the little you are told only serves to emphasise how much you are not.

There is a wonderful podcast produced by the Channel Seven News Network here in Australia on this case which has an episode as current as July this year. New episodes are produced when new information or interviews are at hand. It's a fascinating case that gets more mysterious the more you find out about the details and the people involved.

Listen to it or find out more here (it's worth listening to):

The Lady Vanishes Podcast

Thanks for that - they're obviously doing lots of research and there's plenty of interest being generated, but I kind of think the results they're getting are much what they'd be if the poor woman was dead, which I suspect she is, sadly.

I don't know a whole lot about the case - and I'll be giving that podcast a listen later - but my initial thoughts were that, if indeed her disappearance was not voluntary, she may have started something that someone else finished; that is - she maybe collaborated in the opening acts, without realising what the finale was going to be.

It's one of those cases that really brings home to me how much we never really know about the complex tides and undertows that rule a person's life - especially when it comes to family relationships, when often the little you are told only serves to emphasise how much you are not.

There are people with many secrets, alter egos and such like; I am inclined to agree.

It was 1997, the early days of Internet chatrooms and it was hardly regulated. The Wild West days of the online sphere. I wonder if the lady had 'another life' her loved ones knew nothing about?

Whatever happened to her, I think the police have badly mishandled her case - I wonder if we'll ever find out what occurred?

Back