• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Where Did the Romanies/Gypsies Begin their Journey?

anome said:
So we'll blame you if she gets in, then?

I have my own theory about Pauline, but I daren't discuss it in a public forum.

No, please don't!! I won't be voting for her, tho I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a reasonable sympathy vote.

I'm curious about your theory. Any chance of you letting me know in PM?

I warn you in advance, that it's highly contentious, defamatory, and possibly betrays more about my own personal prejudices than any actual possibilities.

anome said:
I warn you in advance, that it's highly contentious, defamatory, and possibly betrays more about my own personal prejudices than any actual possibilities.

I understand... and trust me, I am no lover of pauline or our current government or frankly most politicians, so defame away....

On it's way.

I should mention that you should feel free to ridicule it openly.

Just as long as you don't tell anybody where you heard it. I can't afford any expensive lawsuits.

Some new findings.

European Romani Exodus Began 1,500 Years Ago, DNA Evidence Shows
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 121940.htm

Europe's widespread Romani population shares a common, if complex, past, beginning in northwestern India about 1,500 years ago, according to a new study that offers the first genome-wide perspective on Romani origins and demographic history. (Credit: © seewhatmitchsee / Fotolia)

Dec. 6, 2012 — Despite their modern-day diversity of language, lifestyle, and religion, Europe's widespread Romani population shares a common, if complex, past. It all began in northwestern India about 1,500 years ago, according to a study reported on December 6th in Current Biology, a Cell Press publication, that offers the first genome-wide perspective on Romani origins and demographic history.

The Romani represent the largest minority group in Europe, consisting of approximately 11 million people. That means the size of the Romani population rivals that of several European countries, including Greece, Portugal, and Belgium.

"We were interested in exploring the population history of European Romani because they constitute an important fraction of the European population, but their marginalized situation in many countries also seems to have affected their visibility in scientific studies," said David Comas of the Institut de Biologia Evolutiva at Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Spain.

The Romani people lack written historical records on their origins and dispersal. To fill in the gaps in the new study, Comas and Manfred Kayser from Erasmus University Rotterdam in the Netherlands, together with their international European colleagues, gathered genome-wide data from 13 Romani groups collected across Europe to confirm an Indian origin for European Romani, consistent with earlier linguistic studies.

The genome-wide evidence specified the geographic origin toward the north or northwestern parts of India and provided a date of origin of about 1,500 years ago. While the Middle East and Caucasus regions are known to have had an important influence on Romani language, the researchers saw limited evidence for shared genetic ancestry between the European Romani and those who live in those regions of the world today. Once in Europe, Romani people began settling in various locations, likely spreading across Europe via the Balkan region about 900 years ago.

"From a genome-wide perspective, Romani people share a common and unique history that consists of two elements: the roots in northwestern India and the admixture with non-Romani Europeans accumulating with different magnitudes during the out-of-India migration across Europe," Kayser said. "Our study clearly illustrates that understanding the Romani's genetic legacy is necessary to complete the genetic characterization of Europeans as a whole, with implications for various fields, from human evolution to the health sciences."

Story Source:

The above story is reprinted from materials provided by Cell Press, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

Journal Reference:

Isabel Mendizabal, Oscar Lao, Urko M. Marigorta, Andreas Wollstein, Leonor Gusmão, Vladimir Ferak, Mihai Ioana, Albena Jordanova, Radka Kaneva, Anastasia Kouvatsi, Vaidutis Ku?inskas, Halyna Makukh, Andres Metspalu, Mihai G. Netea, Rosario de Pablo, Horolma Pamjav, Dragica Radojkovic, Sarah J.H. Rolleston, Jadranka Sertic, Milan Macek, David Comas, Manfred Kayser. Reconstructing the Population History of European Romani from Genome-wide Data. Current Biology, 2012; DOI: 10.1016/j.cub.2012.10.039

Remembering one of Cornwall's last travelling gypsies who could often be seen at Chiverton Cross
By HannahCL | Posted: July 16, 2017
Video: 2m 18s.

This month marks 12 years since Cornwall lost one of its "last travelling gypsies", Alex (Alec) Draper.

It has been more than one decade since Alec and his horse Bobby have been seen pitched up with his traditional vardo at Chiverton Cross roundabout, but people still fondly remember him.

In tribute of Alec, popular Newquay-based singer-songwriter The Belfast Busker, real name Alan Deane, visited his grave at St Peter's Church at Chiverton Cross and made the video above to pay his respects and tell the story of "a true Romany legend".

Mr Deane said that although he had only met Alec on a few occasions, he had left a lasting impression.
In the video, Mr Deane said: "I had the good fortune to meet him a few times and he was a right old character, always laughing, always had a twinkle in his eye and a smile for the ladies."

CONTINUED HERE:
http://www.cornwalllive.com/remembe...-alex-draper/story-30440816-detail/story.html

Yith: article cut - please do not copy complete texts from news sites--some of them do not like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back