• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Where Was Bush When He First Heard About 9/11?

A

Anonymous

Where were you Bush when you first heard about 9/11?

George W. Bush: Thank you, Jordan. Well, Jordan, you're not going to believe what state I was in when I heard about the terrorist attack. I was in Florida. And my Chief of Staff, Andy Card -- actually, I was in a classroom talking about a reading program that works. I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower -- the TV was obviously on. And I used to fly, myself, and I said, well, there's one terrible pilot. I said, it must have been a horrible accident.

What Bush doesn't realise is that there were no live transmissions of the first plane hitting the WTC. :rolleyes:
I've heard many people talk about this but now it's a fact. Whitehouse.gov put it up on their website...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/12/20011204-17.html

It's near the bottom.

Funny one Mr. Jones. What are you saying Adam, that there are strange anomalies about 9/11? Here we are getting no information. e.g. One day we hear of the lady mysteriously dying who had allegedly given fake id's to the terrorists, then we hear nothing more. We can't even find out about GW and Enron. Are you hearing about 9/11 anomalies in your mainstream media? We aren't.

i remember exactly what i was doing ..cos it was "a day that will live in infamy" yes i was 40 on that day..........

Re: Where were you Bush when you first heard about 9/11?

AdamRang said:
And I used to fly, myself, and I said, well, there's one terrible pilot.

What kind of a joke to make is that? And to recount it a couple of months later seems the height of bad taste.

I can't confirm whether the second strike on the WTC was televised live, I thought it was. I'm usually late to work, so it was all over before I watched things unfold over breakfast.

Well, Bush Jr. has something of a reputation for a cruel and twisted sense of "humour", under that "doddery old fool" veneer. His handlers try to keep it under wraps, but it slips out sometimes.

Besides, Bush certainly should have known that the first attack was a terrorist attack, not an accident. Minutes after the takeoff of Flight 11, according to a recent CNN article, the voices of the Flight 11 hijackers were picked up by the Federal Aviation Authority (the terrorists obviously didn't realise that what they were saying on the intercom was also audible to flight controllers). Since Flight 11 took off around 8, that left nearly a whole hour for them to inform the military and the Secret Service.

This might sound like a dumb question, but if the FAA knew about the hijacking, why was nothing done about it? Or maybe there was something done about it and I haven't heard about it.

I was at work, listening absent-mindedly to radio 4. I remember thinking 'Wow, what a freak accident' when the first plane crashed.
When the second plane hit the towers I thought 'This isn't real, this is some kind of play'. It reminded me of the War of the Worlds panic.
Then it dawned on me that it was real, and news came in of the third and fourth planes. It shook me up a bit, to say the least.
We went to the pub after work and they were showing footage on the telly - the whole place was silent, and usually you have to holler to be heard. A really weird day.

Sally said:
This might sound like a dumb question, but if the FAA knew about the hijacking, why was nothing done about it?

Perhaps there was. There have been a few anomalies surrounding the flight 93 crash and a few witnesses say they saw a white military jet follow flight 93 just before it crashed.

hijackers land jets and negotiate......i dont think it was part of the "european" psycie to think that someone would be so nuts as to do what they did.... now they have orders to shoot the things down full stop.

Was it on here that I read about the whole Afghan pipeline thing?
Actually, when it happened, I was at home, watching something really dull on telly, which was interrupted. I watched the news for an hour or so, then put on cartoon network. I hate listening to talking heads speculating pointlessly about things they know no more about han anyone else.

The second plane hit WAS televised live.

The first plane hit the WTC shortly before the end of the movie "The In-Laws" with Alan Arkin and Peter Falk on AMC. I was watching the credits roll by when I got the first phone call to turn it to the news. At that point the first plane had hit, and cameras were filming that, and it was still being discussed as a possible accident. Then the second one hit.

After that, I slept on the couch with the news on, just in case more planes were going to start raining down on us.:confused:

None of us could believe it....we heard about it at work...we got home and still didn't know what was going on...
We watched it on TV, and it still didn't seem real....
..then we saw it,on the news, and it looked Spielberg-esque, unreal.

For a while, it seemed, everything was uncertain, society could be altered or removed by a single act of terrorism....
I know that is what 'they' wanted to acheive,....but life carried on...
But in retrospect, it's all too neat; for the US Govt.,....they can now kick any ass they like, under the guise of 'war-on-terror'
...and I don't claim to have any answers, but as long as there's blokes like the NY Fire Dept., I'll have my faith in Human Nature....!!

:)

I remember i was at work, and heard on the radio that a pilot had hit one of the towers and i thought they were talking about a light aircraft (cessna, that sort of thing) so i tried to get some info on the net and found it nearly impossible to get to any news sites. I went and found a TV and the BBC had cameras on the scene (it amazes me just how many people had cameras rolling at the right time) i saw the second plane hit, and watched both towers fall, i then became a kind of go between running from office to office keeping people up to date.

There was a lot of dis-belief and shock, and a lot of fear, being young and reasonably fit, if WW3 had started i'd be among the first to be called up. Scary.

A sad event indeed.
--kiel--

sidecar_jon said:
hijackers land jets and negotiate......i dont think it was part of the "european" psycie to think that someone would be so nuts as to do what they did.... now they have orders to shoot the things down full stop.

Although, it's worth noting that flight 93 crashed after the other three planes had met their targets. I'll have to find out the time taken between the first plane hit the world trade centre and flight 93 had crashed. There may have been enough time to realise what was happening and scramble a jet to take it out.

Here we go..

Flight 11 struck the world trade centre at 8:46 a.m

Flight 93 crashed just after 9:35 a.m.

Does anyone know how long it takes to scramble a US military jet?

Depending on state of readiness, I believe it takes between twelve to fifteen minutes to scramble fighter jets. This comes from no written source, but from watching it happen at airbases all over the world. [I am an extreme military brat, My dad is a former Marine, as am I, and my second step dad was an air traffic controller in the USAF. I think I've been just about any place weird where the US has bases!]

[None stranger than Oklahoma though!]

"The moment Bush knew"

Something that really shows the gaping holes in the argument that there was nothing 'off' about 9/11.

If anyone gets a chance to see the footage of the 'moment Bush knew' (he was sitting in a classroom reading a story about a goat (represting sacrifice?) when Andrew Card leaned over and wispered in his ear) then its well worth a watch. Now, its just after Andrew Card wispered in his ear that we see something very odd taking place. Andrew Card walks straight away. He does not wait to hear what Bush's reaction is. He does not wait to take any orders. He walks straight off. More like he's updating Bush on the plan than braking the news to him that theres been a massive terror attack in New York.

Then.. it gets more interesting.

George Bush said afterwards that the first thing he did when he heard the news was to deploy the fighter planes. This was a lie. As we all saw Bush made no orders after he heard the news. Instead he continued to read a story about a goat for 20 minuites! I wonder how many lives would have been saved had he of done what he said.

He also said another major lie.

George Bush claimed (and its all there on whitehouse.gov) that he watched the first plane hit the tower live. Um... there was no live feed at the time. Actually, I do wonder what TV channel he was watching....

(I'll have to fish for the links on whithouse.gov to back this one up)

The moment Bush knew? Yeah right....

Which "news" are you referring to? I remember that day, seeing the news about the "terrible accident" with a single aircraft hitting one of the WTC towers. It was only after the second one hit that the reality became apparent (at least to us.)

Are you suggesting that the WTC attack was carried out on behalf of Shrub?

Bush entered the classroom after the first plane had hit. Andrew Card wispered in his ear after the second plane hit.

Who is Shrub?

ah...

Fortis said:
Are you suggesting that the WTC attack was carried out on behalf of Shrub?

Oh Fortis, you know me better than that.

So, Adam, are you suggesting the Commander-in-Chief of the US Armed Forces was in on the attack on the Pentagon, as well? Or just the Towers? Why would the Armed Forces go along with such a thing? So, essentially, the President attacked the Military, which is enlightening. If the Military had your insight into things, Bush would be executed by now. Have you ever thought of a career in intelligence? I think they should know these things.

Re: "The moment Bush knew"

Adam Rang said:
Instead he continued to read a story about a goat for 20 minuites! I wonder how many lives would have been saved had he of done what he said.

Personaly I recon this just go's to show Dubja ain't the brightest light in the cafeteria not much more siniser than that but equelly as scary as the posibitity he could have known about it before hand.

Adam Rang said:
George Bush claimed (and its all there on whitehouse.gov) that he watched the first plane hit the tower live. Um... there was no live feed at the time. Actually, I do wonder what TV channel he was watching....

If he was watching the bbc he would have seen the 1st and 2nd tower colapse as I saw this live on bbc. If it was live accross the atlantic then there must have been at least one american news network showing live footage.:confused:

Oll_Lewis said:
If he was watching the bbc he would have seen the 1st and 2nd tower colapse as I saw this live on bbc. If it was live accross the atlantic then there must have been at least one american news network showing live footage.:confused:

We're talking about the tower being hit not collapsing.

Conners_76 said:
Certainly he didn't watch the first plane strike the South Tower live, but if it's been reported that he claimed this, it just reflects the confusion we all experienced as events unfolded. He obviously meant the second plane.

But... he was sitting in a classroom reading a story about a goat when the second plane hit. Obvisoulsy this was a down right lie.

Here's the link...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/12/20011204-17.html

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, Jordan. Well, Jordan, you're not going to believe what state I was in when I heard about the terrorist attack. I was in Florida. And my Chief of Staff, Andy Card -- actually, I was in a classroom talking about a reading program that works. I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower -- the TV was obviously on. And I used to fly, myself, and I said, well, there's one terrible pilot. I said, it must have been a horrible accident.

The footage of the first plane hitting the tower came in from security cameras and, of course ,those guys inspecting drains... they did not reach the world's media for a couple of hours after the attack.

TorgosPizza said:
So, Adam, are you suggesting the Commander-in-Chief of the US Armed Forces was in on the attack on the Pentagon, as well? Or just the Towers? Why would the Armed Forces go along with such a thing? So, essentially, the President attacked the Military, which is enlightening. If the Military had your insight into things, Bush would be executed by now. Have you ever thought of a career in intelligence? I think they should know these things.

Oh torgos, the're all in on it!

C'mon Adam, I need a better motive for the President of the United States to be involved in mass murder than 'well they are all a bunch of bastards, aren't they'.
I'm not saying certain sections of the US Military/Industrial Complex are not capable of murder ( as we saw in Chile, El Salvadaor, Guatamala, Nicraguia,etc,etc), but there's no reason to destroy the WTC.
If they wanted to attack the Taliban and OBL to get the oilfields, they already had ample justification due to the Embassy bombings and the attack on the USS Cole.
Plus both Russia and China will benefit from any oil pipeline and the defeat of the Taliban, so the US didn't have to win them over.

Conners_76 said:
If it's not possible for him to be talking about seeing this before the second plane hit, he must be confused about when he saw it.

I think Bush and confusion pretty much go hand in hand.

chatsubo said:
C'mon Adam, I need a better motive for the President of the United States to be involved in mass murder than 'well they are all a bunch of bastards, aren't they'.

That's not the reason I gave. I'm not here to talk about motives right now.

Conners...

I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower -- the TV was obviously on.

He seems pretty clear that he saw it before he went in the classroom. This would have been impossible.

And what about the other important point, or absence of one... why was there no exchange between Bush and Card?

Fighter planes were deployed when it was found out not that the towers had been hit, but that more aircraft were involved. Bush may have known of the first plane hitting when it could have been an accident before entering the classroom - no reason to think otherwise. When the other plane hit, Card probably told him the military were on standby - I'm sure they'd get the jets ready before waiting for the president to finish his story.

Read the rest of it...

But I was whisked off there, I didn't have much time to think about it. And I was sitting in the classroom, and Andy Card, my Chief of Staff, who is sitting over here, walked in and said, "A second plane has hit the tower, America is under attack."

And, Jordan, I wasn't sure what to think at first. You know, I grew up in a period of time where the idea of America being under attack never entered my mind -- just like your Daddy's and Mother's mind probably. And I started thinking hard in that very brief period of time about what it meant to be under attack. I knew that when I got all of the facts that we were under attack, there would be hell to pay for attacking America. (Applause.)

I tried to get as many facts as I could, Jordan, to make sure I knew as I was making decisions that I knew exactly what I was basing my decisions on. I've got a fabulous team. A President can't possibly be President without a good team. It starts with having a great wife, by the way. (Applause.)

And so, I got on the phone from Air Force One, asking to find out the facts. You've got to understand, Jordan, during this period of time, there were all kinds of rumors floating around. Some of them were erroneous. Obviously -- for example, there was a news report saying that the State Department had been attacked. I needed to know what the facts were. But I knew I needed to act. I knew that if the nation's under attack, the role of the Commander-In-Chief is to respond forcefully to prevent other attacks from happening. And so, I've talked to the Secretary of Defense; one of the first acts I did was to put our military on alert.

One of the first acts he did... becuase of course the first was to continue reading a story about a pet goat. He also clearly says that he got on to the phone to air force one to 'find out the facts'. hmm... this all happened after he had finished the story of course.

Back