• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which Fortean Mysteries Would You Like To See Solved?

although timeslip ≠ time travel

Debatable. Even if you can only witness a glimpse of the future (as per the Victor Goddard incident) or the past (Versailles) rather than interacting with it, isn't it still a form of time travel?

Debatable. Even if you can only witness a glimpse of the future (as per the Victor Goddard incident) or the past (Versailles) rather than interacting with it, isn't it still a form of time travel?
yeah, debatable, puts me in mind of la jetée

The mince pie aliens or the Hexham heads would be nice explained.

ABCs - Escaped circus animals, private animal collections from the 70s, timeslips, parallel universe?
I saw one briefly down Louth canal - it growled at my dog from the undergrowth then belted off along the old river bed it was big, black and menacing.

ABCs - Escaped circus animals, private animal collections ...
i ll never quite understand the interest in "alien" big cats, ie big cats ... or cats of any size really ... to me it would be a massively squandered opportunity to seek an answer to this above actual holy secrets of existence

I saw the Heads at Uncon. They were so obviously bits of concrete garden ornaments that I was baffled about all the fuss.
What year was that? And do you remember who was custodian at the time? I have a vague impression that the heads are now lost, having ended up in the possession of a fairly sketchy character who himself can no longer be traced.

What year was that? And do you remember who was custodian at the time? I have a vague impression that the heads are now lost, having ended up in the possession of a fairly sketchy character who himself can no longer be traced.

It was 2004. I only went to two Uncons. As I recall, the heads were on a table and could be handled if people asked nicely. Can't remember now if I did or not but if the chance was there I probably did. We have a thread on them so any details might be there. Since seeing them I have lost interest!
The bloke with them was in his 30s, friendly and eager to chat about it all.

It was 2004. I only went to two Uncons. As I recall, the heads were on a table and could be handled if people asked nicely. Can't remember now if I did or not but if the chance was there I probably did. We have a thread on them so any details might be there. Since seeing them I have lost interest!
The bloke with them was in his 30s, friendly and eager to chat about it all.
Thank you! The sketchy character I mentioned fell off the radar in the late 70s, so it's intriguing to see the heads re-emerge. But I guess the place for this is on t'other thread.

Hmmm.
This may be a cheat, but I'd go for a fulsome understanding of the mystery of the human mind: how does it work and what is it capable of?

I feel like this would unlock loads of amazing stuff, but particularly I'm thinking of how exciting it would be to figure out ESP, poltergeists, psychokinesis, all that jazz.

But is it a cheat because if we understood the mind properly we might understand... Everything. Maybe this is too close to the 'God' category.

Edit. Plus what Coal said about ghosts. Ghosts would be my second vote.

i ll never quite understand the interest in "alien" big cats, ie big cats ... or cats of any size really ... to me it would be a massively squandered opportunity to seek an answer to this above actual holy secrets of existence
I never understood the interest in religion, a pack of fairy tales from middle eastern death cults. Big cats are far more interesting.

I never understood the interest in religion, a pack of fairy tales from middle eastern death cults. Big cats are far more interesting.

1w8ozy.jpg

1w8q0w.gif
tumblr_nbd6k1szwA1tkvjb3o1_500.gif

Last edited:
Hasn't the Tunguska incident and the Marie Celeste both been fairly comprehensively explained?

The former being an airburst of either a small metallic asteroid or a fairly large loose comet, and the latter being an alcohol fire that prompted an evacuation into a small boat that was then swamped.

For me it would be Jack the Ripper.

Of all my forteana, it would be top.

JTR has come up a few times, but is it really Fortean? It was a nutcase with a knife (or two) and while the case captured a certain amount of notoriety and is unsolved, I'll bet scores of unsolved murders of women took place in the 20 years either side of that case in London alone.

Hasn't the Tunguska incident and the Marie Celeste both been fairly comprehensively explained?

The former being an airburst of either a small metallic asteroid or a fairly large loose comet, and the latter being an alcohol fire that prompted an evacuation into a small boat that was then swamped.

Of all my forteana, it would be top.

Could a comet really sneak up and hit the Earth without being spotted and tracked for weeks beforehand? Plenty of telescopes and stargazers around in 1908.

As for the Mary (not "Marie" ) Celeste, there's been plenty of speculation - some very plausible, some rather more fringe, but I didn't believe the mystery had been conclusively solved.

Back