• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which Is The Odd-One-Out (Don't Say "Niles"!)

NilesCalder

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Okay... a simple question with Fortean relevence:

Which of the following is the odd-one-out, and why?

Hat, Cat, Dog, Elephant

As for the relevence, well Fortean Phenomina are literally the odd-ones-out of concensual reality. These are the events that defy expectations and confound reason, yet they can be something as banal as missing car keys or a previously unclassified creature. The fortean can be hidden in plain sight, who knows how many ghosts we interact with each day, how many lights in the sky aren't stars, planets, aircraft or swampgas but actual visitors from a distant star, or continuua!

Oh and if any of you know the answer to this one don't blurt it out and let the others play (and me do my big reveal)!

Niles "Odd-On-In" Calder

PMed you some possible answers, Niles, but I'm probably wrong.

Errrrr, Elephant. Only one thats exclusively found in Africa/India? Alright, I don't know!!!!!!!!!

The answer is obvious isn't it?
Who in their right mind would be seen wearing an elephant on their head?
:D

Evilsprout wrote on 23-12-2001

Obvious one: Hat, cos a hat's inanimate

Not so obvious -

Elephant - cos it's got more than 3 letters

Elephant - cos it's not likely to be found in someone's living room

Morris: I've yet to wear a dog on my head either...

Nobody has even got close... carry on!

Niles "Swarmy Git" Calder

Re: Which is the odd one out (and don't say "Niles&quot

Niles Calder said:
Okay... a simple question with Fortean relevence:

Which of the following is the odd-one-out, and why?

Hat, Cat, Dog, Elephant

As for the relevence, well Fortean Phenomina are literally the odd-ones-out of concensual reality. These are the events that defy expectations and confound reason, yet they can be something as banal as missing car keys or a previously unclassified creature. The fortean can be hidden in plain sight, who knows how many ghosts we interact with each day, how many lights in the sky aren't stars, planets, aircraft or swampgas but actual visitors from a distant star, or continuua!

Oh and if any of you know the answer to this one don't blurt it out and let the others play (and me do my big reveal)!

Niles "Odd-On-In" Calder

Another possible
Dog: it's the only one that doesn't end in "t", and/or the only one that doesn't have an "a" in it.

Could be Hat as it is the one out of alphabetic sequence
i.e.
C D E
a o l
t g e
......p
......h
......a
......n
......t

Wm.

Alphabetical anomolies aside, my vote is for hat, since it doesn't <normally> have four legs, lungs, vertebrae, blood vessels, eyes, a brain, get hungry, produce waste, drink water, reproduce, or die. All of which the others generally do. But maybe that's just narrow-minded me.

Did some thinking about this question last night. Was trying to think 'outside' the box. The more I think about it the more all of them have in common, and there are good arguments for each being the odd one out. None of them can qualify for welfare, ever joined the pro-wrestling circuit, or earned a Phd in physics. None of them can set you on fire by power of will. The list goes on.

Only the dog can be trained as a vital aid to blind people for getting around. Only the elephant can carry a few people on it's back over a long distance, spray you with water from its trunk, or crush a human skull under its foot. Only the cat has retractable claws, can jump about 5 times its own height, has such a tidy habit of cleaning itself, or is instinctually litter-trained from birth. Only the hat was tossed across the room onto the hat-stand by James Bond before greeting Ms. Moneypenny. I say they're all odd-out and none of them are... but I'm always wanting it both ways.

Confucius say why go lateral when you can go literal? Come on Niles wake up and put us out of our misery. It's bloody fish again isn't it?

Heh :D

I'll give you a clue: The answer is counter to the question.

I'll give you the answer tomorrow if you can't guess it before then, and you can't;)!

Niles ":D :) :madeyes:" Calder

Extremely stupid answer time.

Hat
Cat
Dog

All of the above have a comma after them in the question.

Elephant doesn't.

luce (who is most likely wrong)

The odd one out is the only one with an even number of letters in it: elephant. Your clue tipped me off, Niles!

I did Torgo? :eek!!!!:

I mean, yes I did, of course I did. Shame nobody has yet to give me the right answer... Mayby I should give you another day to think about it...

Niles "Weirdest Link" Calder

Ok another go (probably wrong again like before).

You wanted to know which of them was the odd one out and why. You never actually said one of them is the odd one out for deffinate.

So I say none of them are the odd one out. Either that or they all are. My reason... well just because really (sorry).

luce

The interesting thing here is that virtually all of us have come up with a right answer if not necessarily the right answer. How often do people reject a solution or a conclusion not because it’s the wrong one but simply because it’s not the one they were expecting. A reaction familiar to cryptozoologists, parapsychologists and just about anyone interested in forteana I would think.

Of course there’s always the chance that Niles might have been pissed or stoned when he posted his original message and can’t now remember the answer. So, until we are all enlightened I’m going to salve my ego with the image of Niles Googling like a maniac surrounded by encyclopedias trying to find an answer to his own riddle.

I was positive I had the right answer after your hint, Niles. I suppose I shouldn't jump the gun on this stuff, should I? I do have a feeling we're not seeing the forest for the trees on this one; still, Niles might well be giving us all a lesson in Fortean philosophy: there are no answers, only questions. :)

TorgosPizza said:
Niles might well be giving us all a lesson in Fortean philosophy: there are no answers, only questions. :)

You only offer someone an escape route in hostage negotiation. I want...THE ANSWER.

Spook said:
The interesting thing here is that virtually all of us have come up with a right answer if not necessarily the right answer. How often do people reject a solution or a conclusion not because it’s the wrong one but simply because it’s not the one they were expecting. A reaction familiar to cryptozoologists, parapsychologists and just about anyone interested in forteana I would think.
TorgosPizza said:
I was positive I had the right answer after your hint, Niles. I suppose I shouldn't jump the gun on this stuff, should I? I do have a feeling we're not seeing the forest for the trees on this one; still, Niles might well be giving us all a lesson in Fortean philosophy: there are no answers, only questions. :)
Now we're getting somewhere!

How can I put this tactfully? So far all the answers have been correct, but none of them have been the right answer!

Niles "Blankety Blank" Calder

Could the answer be that as Forteans, we must conclude that there can be no difinitive final answer about anything? Ie the right answer is that there is no right answer. There are an almost limitless number of answers, all as valid as the others. The "right" answer is merely the one chosen for a certain set of circumstances, ie Niles's original question?

Niles Calder said:
How can I put this tactfully? So far all the answers have been correct, but none of them have been the right answer!
Oh well, if you're going to be pedantic, the 'Right' answer is ELEPHANT, because that is at the right-hand end of the line.

"personally, I'm a Libran" rynner

Niles Calder said:
Now we're getting somewhere!

In that case there isn`t an odd one out because they are all odd ones out:D

Wm.

The "odd-one-out" hmmmmmm let me think?

*utters to myself* "odd, one, odd, one, odd, one".

luce (possibly going crazy)

Bagins said:
In that case there isn`t an odd one out because they are all odd ones out:D

PING!
WE HAVE A WINNNNER!

Okay mayby not. Yes they are all Odd-One's-Out but with one exception! Let me explain, in a greatly simplified way...

Hat, Cat, Dog, Elephant.

Hat is a piece of clothing, and so is the odd one out.

Dog doesn't have a "t" in it, and so is the odd one out.

Elephant has more than three letters and so is the odd one out.

Cat on the other hand isn't the odd one out (except in mr clever clogs Mike_Legs' post). Since Cat isn't an odd one out and all the rest are, Cat is the odd one out!!!!!

Therefore, Ergo, QED: Cat is the correct answer!

Niles "!" Calder

Thankyou Niles! Now I wont have to go into a white padded cell :D

luce

I smell caca del toro.
I was right. You were pissed or stoned when you posted your original message. Come on Niles you're an intelligent man - Seven days and that's the best you can come up with?

The elephant strained, and brought forth a gnat...

(sadly)

A double-edged reply? DISCUSS. (You may use both sides of the paper.)

Back