• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which Of These (See List) Should I Pick For My Star Wars Story?

Maximum7

Fresh Blood
I was wondering if anyone could help me make a decision on picking a technology for my Star Wars story. I’ve been editing the Wikipedia page “List of hypothetical technologies” for many months now. I’ve worked hard on it but I can’t pick something.

I’m looking for something that

•Would be worth creating

• Wouldn’t be easily created based on existing technology.

•Something that doesn’t already exist in Star Wars Legends or Canon.

Believe it or not, a Dyson sphere actually appeared in Star Wars. It was called Iokath and appeared in The Old Republic MMORPG

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Iokath

You can pick anything on the list EXCEPT “Black hole starship” , “Language learning pill” and “Artificial super mitochondria” since I workshopped those ideas and I determined they don’t work. Here’s the list

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hypothetical_technologies

Is there a particular role or purpose the selected technology is expected to fulfill in your story? For example:

- general / existential threat
- villain's weapon
- hero's means for winning the day
- a MacGuffin story element

Is there a particular role or purpose the selected technology is expected to fulfill in your story? For example:

- general / existential threat
- villain's weapon
- hero's means for winning the day
- a MacGuffin story element

MacGuffin definetely. Possibly the third one.

What persuaded you that 'Artificial Super Mitochondria' wouldn't work? Within certain parameters, that is one of the most realistic technologies on that list.

I'd suggest that some kind of teleportation might be the most useful new technology to introduce into the Star Wars universe. The concept already 'sort of' exists in-universe already, since the Starkiller weapon can project its beams through hyperspace at speeds much faster than light. Replace the beams with people somehow, and you could send them anywhere in the galaxy in an instant.

Last edited:
What persuaded you that 'Artificial Super Mitochondria' wouldn't work? Within certain parameters, that is one of the most realistic technologies on that list.

I'd suggest that some kind of teleportation might be the most useful new technology to introduce into the Star Wars universe. The concept already 'sort of' exists in-universe already, since the Starkiller weapon can project its beams through hyperspace at speeds much faster than light already. Replace the beams with people somehow, and you could send them anywhere in the galaxy in an instant.

Artificial super mitochondria might increase longevity and that’s one of the few things that new canon is trying to avoid. Teleportation existed in some obscure Legends stories; it’s a lost technology. Starkiller Base’s weapon doesn’t teleport; it sends beams of quintessence into “sub” hyperspace. I don’t know how quickly it can travel but I don’t think teleporting people would be a good idea. It would ruin the concept of space travel. Sure you can make it so that it only works short term but traveling places is kinda what Star Wars is about. I really don’t know what I’m looking for. I have qualms with a lot of stuff on my list tbh

Mitichlorians?

The Rakata used teleportation. But only limited means. (In Belsavis prison, I believe so I guess they were not too concerned over permenent dematerialisations) I think the technologies lost.

I like the `Artificial super Mitichondria` myself....a means to induce the Force in a non Force sensitive....so many things that could go wonderfully wrong. (But you would get volunteers queuing up for it)

Now combine the terms `Artificial super Mitichondria` and `Rakata`......eh, maybe dont go there.

(Oh, yeah, your volunteers now have bug eyes...)

I, myself, would like to try to replicate the Celestials technology....Compulsory Enlightenment for all!

Back