• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which theory may explain UFOs?

Forests

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Which hypotheses or theories best explain the phenomena of UFOs?

I think the extraterrestrial hypothesis is silly, theres also the interdimensional theory but that seems quite far fetched... recently I have been looking into the electromagnetic theory. I don't think we need to equate any kind of supernatural explanation with UFOs they can be explained physically. There is a good book out called Electric UFOs which lists strong evidence for the electromagnetic hypothesis.

Any other hypotheses/theories anyone advocates and why? Would be interesting to see.

Cheers.

You missed out the 'time travellers from our future' theory

There's the idea that they're actually living creature as well...

There is a theory on Atmospheric Beasts that can change form at will.
If you've seen sprites - the forms captured at high altitude during storms you can see why this could be considered a goer.

However, I once plowed through the UFO Encyclopedia and came to the conclusion that almost all were a misidentification of a natural phenomena or a human paranoic response triggered by lights and probably electromagnetism. Most sightings begin with a simple light source and then people in isolated areas get probed, fighter pilots are out manouvered and people in their beds are abducted etc.

Agreed, trouble is you're also right when you say 'almost all'.

No one hypothesis explains "UFO's". Their are a few different for different types.

"I think the extraterrestrial hypothesis is silly,"

Almost as silly as Governments ignoring intrusions into their airspace on a regular basis by sometimes huge intelligently controlled aerial objects with performances vastly superior to anything we know about or have on the drawing board. Sometimes as solid as a liner sometimes a big glowing something.

" electromagnetic hypothesis."

Deinitely explains quite a few, things like ball lightning and other ionisation phenomenon.

'time travellers from our future'

More believable for certain incidents than the old chestnuts bought out to explain them such as "The Planet Venus" or "Marsh gas" in response to solid objects seen by multiple witnesses from different locations.

There's the idea that they're actually living creature as well...

Well some certainly seem to show intelligence as seen by thousands.. So its more of a believable thing than some stuff you read in famous old books. ;)

" I once plowed through the UFO Encyclopedia and came to the conclusion that almost all were a misidentification of a natural phenomena or a human paranoic response triggered by lights and probably electromagnetism."

Its not the "almost all" thats the problem, its the huge body of events that can not be explained in that way. or even close to being explained by such.

My hypothesis for UFO. First what type of UFO.

Solid hardware seen by multiple witness preferably with a Radar return. Then my hypothesis is it an intelligently controlled and manufactured device by human level intelligence or above.

Bright light moving in intelligent way. my hypothesis would be. Fake? Possible natural unknown phenomenon...Or a transdimensional probe from the future having a shufty at people with hopeless camera skills... :D

No the UFO UAP etc etc. Phenomenon is too multifaceted to hypothesis in one go except to hypothesise that they are all part of "our" reality.

It is strange you can believe totally seriously in stuff which has no evidence or scientiic basis and become the most powerful man in the world and infact seems to be a pre-requisite. Yet any government or like frowns completely at you for believing in stuff that there is ample evidence for. Kinda weird in its own right.. :?:

Been interested in this since I was very young. Its depressing that popular culture has distilled the entire phenomena down to disc shaped spaceships crewed by malevolent greys. Actual witness stories are of a incredibly diverse range of objects and entities.

Here my favourite explanations, roughly in order of what forms the greatest proportion of accounts:

The banal
Everyday, man made objects or natural phenomenon observed either by people unfamiliar with what they are seeing, or under unusual or stressed circumstances.

The natural fringe
Something along the lines of the Earthlights theory; rare plasma lights flare up, dance around then vanish.

The manmade fringe
Military contractors design and fly some weird stuff. And in a small number of cases, so do civilian aviation companies and hobbyists.

The paranormal
Jacques Vallee is a proponent of this idea. Reading, even briefly, some of the threads on this forum strengthens the position. Reality, the everyday ordinariness of drinking a cup of tea while listening to the Today programme and thinking about the cute blonde on the train yesterday, is interwoven at a subtle level with a 'ultraverse'. We experience its existence as 'physics fractures', moments when the normal rules governing time, space and matter are suspended, overruled perhaps. This greater realm is occupied by a range of conscious non incarnate entities. From there on it is culture all the way down (maybe). Whether the witness reports encountering a demon, six foot tall Venusian or Gwyn ap Nudd is all pretty much down to their hopes and fears. Or perhaps on the conscious intent behind the manifestation.

Its The Bulk taken to a particular logical conclusion. In science fiction, it's the Excession. In folklore it is Annwn, the Otherworld.

Lies & Hoaxes
If I see another crappy video of Chinese Lanterns I'll stop clicking on the 'New triangular UFO footage from Stevenage' type links. But I think even now, in this jaded internet age, lies and hoaxes make up a small proportion of reports.

And thats it. For me, no aliens, not of the flesh and blood, built a metal spaceship and flew it here variety. The range of 'aliens' reported is the major problem for me. Far greater than FTL travel and the truly horrific distances between the stars. We have to believe they are all governed by some inscrutable rule which occludes their intentions, forcing them to flit about at the edge of possibility forever (or at least for all of written history). One of these species, just one, would surely have thought by now 'y'know what? F**k it, set the navisystem for 31R at JFK'.

And time travel, apparently, is impossible. So can't be that then.

Xxeno said:
Almost as silly as Governments ignoring intrusions into their airspace on a regular basis by sometimes huge intelligently controlled aerial objects with performances vastly superior to anything we know about or have on the drawing board. Sometimes as solid as a liner sometimes a big glowing something.

That depends on whether such things have actually happened - or whether it's our imaginations overlaying such ideas over mundane misidentifications. And even that assumes that any given anecdote is true, or isn't from a mundane source.

Its not the "almost all" thats the problem, its the huge body of events that can not be explained in that way. or even close to being explained by such.

Again, is this actually the case? It seems not. Even the small amount of 'unexplained' or 'unknowns' don't automatically have to be anything alien/paranormal/etc whatsoever.

My hypothesis for UFO. First what type of UFO.

Solid hardware seen by multiple witness preferably with a Radar return. Then my hypothesis is it an intelligently controlled and manufactured device by human level intelligence or above.

Neither of those factors guarantee that what's being seen/plotted is actually any sort of device. Put simply, witnesses can be wrong. Radar cannot tell whether something is intelligent, controlled, etc - that's up to the human operator interpreting the data: that in itself is also problematic.

Another theory to explain the whole range of UFO phenomena is John Keel's ideas on ultra-terrestrials ;)

Interview with Keel here. Not a summary of his work on UFO's, but an interesting read and shows that even dedicated researchers realise, in the end, there are no answers. The whole blog is worth exploring. Look out for Vivenus!

I really like the time traveller idea, I dont think the ET hypothesis is silly, there must be civilisations millions if not 100's of millions of years older than ours. I saw a ufo, posted it on here a while ago, late afternoon a black flying egg, quite close, it was a clearly a machine, I think what I saw only has 2 explanations, either we made it or it was a machine from who knows where, but it was a machine for sure.

Mass communication.

The more we share the more we see.

What was an isolated occurance years ago is a phenomena now.
This is by no means an explanation to what people are experiencing, but mass communication will at first support all phenomena, and then through time prove most of them false.

special_farces said:
Interview with Keel here. Not a summary of his work on UFO's, but an interesting read and shows that even dedicated researchers realise, in the end, there are no answers. The whole blog is worth exploring. Look out for Vivenus!

Hadn't read that interview before - thanks for that.

I find his notion that 'something' is messing with humanity strangely compelling.

mass communication will at first support all phenomena, and then through time prove most of them false.

I think that's a pretty shrewd observation.

I saw a ufo, posted it on here a while ago

Any idea where I'd like to hear more about that.

I have little doubt that the true explanation for the UFO phenomenon is the psychosocial hypothesis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_hypoth ... hypothesis

I have little doubt that humanity (or our descendants) will one day make contact with extraterrestrial intelligent entities, one way or another.

I also have little doubt that those entities will have their own UFO myths, although the details will no doubt be substantially different since their psychosocial characteristics will be significantly different to those of humanity.

Back