• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

White Dog Poo?

GNC said:
Back to dogshit in a moment, viewers, but I also heard that Lenny Bruce was found dead by the police, who then arranged his body to look as if he was injecting himself. Don't know if that's true.

Why would they bother? Noone else would see him in situ anyway...

Dunno. Sounds like an anti-police "look at the way poor Lenny was treated by The Man" story to me.

Just aquick note to say after being frustrated by the Great British summer I have thrown all caution to the wind (as it were) and started and I have started The Whitening.

One of my dogs presented me with the perfect opportunity by crapping in the living room and it was a lovely bright day so I've put them outside and will be observing colour changes, etc. over the next few days (and just hope that I don't have anyone over for an impromptu BBQ ;) ). As an added bonus the largest chunk was a piebald jobbie (i.e. bicoloured: one end beige one end dark brown with a well defined contact line between them) allowing me the opportunity to observe how the initial starting colours effect any colour changes and the pace of these changes.

More news as it happens (not that anyone gives a shit ;) ).

Ah, the excitement of science in action.

Better than watching paint dry.

What are you using for a "control"?

Arthur ASCII said:
Ah, the excitement of science in action.

Better than watching paint dry.

What are you using for a "control"?

Well watching crap change colour might rank below watching paint dry in some people's books ;)

I have thought about a control but it doesn't seem applicable in this case (unlike your experiment on cat doings and bottles of water ;) ). The hypothesis to be tested is that dog poo will actually 'weather'/decompose into a (chalky?) white state (even in dogs with no bones in their diet).

If this shows that they do one might want to expand the sample to see what conditions promote this (substrate, diet, weather, etc.) but at the moment demonstrating that the change takes place is sufficient to confirm my findings based on more anecdotal observation (since I got rid of the grass and installed decking and gravel).

This may well just gross you out a tad.

In the 80`s I had this really grimey punkish friend who had a small dog .every time he took her for a walk this little doggie would pick on this one particular neigbour and poo on his doorstep.Which while awful for the neigbour,was also quite cute.Anyway,after some time this guy had quite understandably had enough and one day picked one poo up,and stuck it on the windscreen of my friends car,with a note. :(

Having discovered the poo and reading then discarding the note my friend just left the poo where it was and went about his business for the next couple of months with it stuck there.

We noticed over the weeks that when the weather was warm,the poo was white and crispy,but started to get darker just before rain was due.Only to turn white once more when the weather improved.

It turned out to be a really excellent rain detector and was never wrong.Everyone in our group of friends knew of it and the weather poo became famous for a while.

Then one day it just wasn`t there anymore.

I reckon someone stole it. :shock:

Years ago I had a mongrel bitch that became pregnant. The vet suggested that calcium tablets might be a good idea as pregnant and feeding bitches can often get calcium deficiency. A couple of days after she started taking them, her poo turned white and continued to be white until the pups were weened and she no longer took the tablets.

Also, I seem to remember that in the 70s, it seemed to be that Jack Russell dogs had white poo more often than other dogs for some reason.

luvpixie said:
We noticed over the weeks that when the weather was warm,the poo was white and crispy,but started to get darker just before rain was due.Only to turn white once more when the weather improved.

It turned out to be a really excellent rain detector and was never wrong.Everyone in our group of friends knew of it and the weather poo became famous for a while.

Then one day it just wasn`t there anymore.

I reckon someone stole it. :shock:

That's hilarious! Someone should market that. The poo barometer. You could make millions.

I recall that there used to be two types of white dog poo - the crumbly chalky ones (which seem to be the ones generally discussed in this thread), and fluffy hairy ones. I've never had a dog, so I've no idea whether their poo normally turns fluffy as it ages and decomposes, or whether this was a stage before turning into the crumbly ones. Whatever they were, I haven't seen either form for ages.

This thread deserves a bump - there must be some new learning on the subject out there.

If only I could remember where, but I recently read that white dog poo was due to the large amounts of ash ( which are still in animal food now just smaller amounts ) that used to be added to dog food.

OneWingedBird said:
I want to know how Emp's experiment is doing 8 years on! :lol:

Emp discovered the Truth about the poo so he was disappeared.

White dog poo, was prized by the leather tanners.

Which suggests that some bacterial &/or enzyme action was taking place. Needed to produce the tanned hides.

There is a mention in Mayhew's:- London Labour and the London Poor, of pure collectors faking it by adding lime to the average dog poo.

Clearly I don't know the providence of this information but...

I was told by a colleague that back in the day the council used to spray dog poo with a chemical that caused the dessication and the whiteness.

As a kid I never saw anyone doing this... but it could be true.

I thought the white dog poo was like that because dog food manufacturers added extra calcium (probably in the form of ground up bones)?
They may have all stopped doing that because of a change in EU regulations (or something like that).

Saw white dog poo while walking the dog yesterday! So its not totally extinct.

Maybe should have taken a picture but there were people about and, well, taking a picture of dog poo might be thought a little weird.

When we took our dog to the vet about stomach issues, she said (among other things) you could tell if a dog was eating bones because if left it would go white and 'crumbly' after a time.

That's my theory too, but what we really need is for someone here with a dog to put it to the test.

Get yourself down to a friendly butcher for a large bone then keep an eye on proceedings. Your dog will love you for it too.

Cochise said:
Saw white dog poo while walking the dog yesterday! So its not totally extinct.

Maybe should have taken a picture but there were people about and, well, taking a picture of dog poo might be thought a little weird.

:lol: .... I saw one about four years ago and my girlfriend wouldn't let me take a pic for the same reasons ..... our local butcher always has a large metal frame basket giving away free bones for dogs so I'm leaning towards that theory now ..

There's one in my back yard right now courtesy of next door's freaky little rugrat. I did see it with a bone earlier but the turd was already there.

hunck said:
That's my theory too, but what we really need is for someone here with a dog to put it to the test.

Pfft, we had a POSTER who did that for us, and reported back. :lol:

Can you point me in the direction of said report?

The great Captain Buttock. Sadly missed. :cry:

Ah, finally something to apply my vast and totally useless mass of knowledge to!

White dog dung is indeed from doggies munching bones-but it takes time to turn white. Once it has done this, it becomes 'the pure', and was used in the production of leather for many years.

Wretches(well, what else are you going to call them) would roam the streets with tin buckets, snagging these enchanted turds which they would sell to tanneries. They were called "collectors of the pure" and are noted as same in municipal documents.

My Grandfer, upon whom be peace, told me of this as he mused on how life had been when he was young, and I've seen it elsewhere as well.

When I was a child, our spaniel(and may God keep her, too, she was a saintly doggie) used our yard as it should have been used by a dog, and I saw dark dog rockets turn white as a few weeks went by. This is what prompted my Grandfer to explain this to me-he liked to talk.

krakenten said:
Ah, finally something to apply my vast and totally useless mass of knowledge to!

White dog dung is indeed from doggies munching bones-but it takes time to turn white. Once it has done this, it becomes 'the pure', and was used in the production of leather for many years.

Wretches(well, what else are you going to call them) would roam the streets with tin buckets, snagging these enchanted turds which they would sell to tanneries. They were called "collectors of the pure" and are noted as same in municipal documents.

My Grandfer, upon whom be peace, told me of this as he mused on how life had been when he was young, and I've seen it elsewhere as well.

When I was a child, our spaniel(and may God keep her, too, she was a saintly doggie) used our yard as it should have been used by a dog, and I saw dark dog rockets turn white as a few weeks went by. This is what prompted my Grandfer to explain this to me-he liked to talk.

Best explanation yet! :D

Back