• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

White Feathers

tillybean1

Junior Acolyte
I know that there is probably a whole thread on this, but being new to posting you'll forgive me for putting this out on this particular forum.

About ten years ago i was going through a particularly down patch in my life. I had just split up with a boyfriend and decided to accompany a friend on a trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh. Whilst he was off working his way around town visiting his work colleagues i wandered about the towns feeling very small and a little lost! In Glasgow I went into a very big bookstore with the intention of killing a couple of hours browsing and getting a coffee. I had been reading a lot of ghost books and found myself in the self help section of the store (as this is where the paranormal and psychic stuff tends to be classified). As I entered that aisle i noticed a large white feather on the floor. Hmm, I thought it was rather odd as the large windows were not open, not a pigeon feather either!

I went along the bookshelves and bought a book on Angel experiences, I think it was "An Angel At My Shoulder", but i wasn't really looking for that kind of thing as i like the spooky and i'd rather thought of Angels as religious beings and therefore not an area of interest for me. Actually the book was very comforting at that time, although not in any religious sense.

Now i know that what i'm going to say next will have a lot of you rolling your eyes, but since that day white feathers seem to appear in very unexpected places when i need help! The most startling one for me was when my very aged (but pretty much reliable) car decided to die in a short term parking spot in the middle of town! After several attempts to start the little bugger, and a quickly dying battery, I went into panic mode thinking that I would have to call out the AA. I got out of the car and paced up and down the road a few times. After a few deep breaths i sat back in my car with my moblie ready to call the AA and i happened to look down at my passenger seat. Low and Behold!! I big white feather (all of the car windows were up). I tried the car again, well whaddya know it started! I know, I know coincidence!

But it keeps happening, little trouble, white feather, trouble solved!

Be kind!

Yup, we do have discussions about angels and feathers and very interesting they are too. :D

I always like to hear the angel stories. The ones who appear and mend things like washing machines are my favourite.

Could do with one of those right now, in fact. :(

I'm not really a big believer in this sort of thing but my girlfriend is and I remember when we first met and were initially 'courting' she tells me that every time we met at first she would see a white feather somewhere, in inexpiicable places as well as you say about the book shop. She says that she took it as a sign that her angel was telling her that I was a good sort and the right one. Which of course I was 8)

One of my friends lost a best girlfriend a couple of years ago . The last time she had seen her was down at Phillip Island where they have a caravan. Ever since then when they go down she finds white feathers in the van although it's been locked up and even sees them when she's sitting outside with someone having a cup of tea.
She's convinced that's it's her friend letting her know she's around and says sometimes her bedside lamp will turn on and I was there when a musical toy in her spare room began to play. She thought that was her friend too as it happened quite often just after she died.
Funny really as she's a bit old fashioned and always thought things like that were rubbish till they happened to her.

Yes this started to happening to me and my sister a few years back - we've both considered it to be some kind of communication from dead relatives, as often we'll both have a white feather cross our path on the same day, even when we are miles apart.

The starangest one I came across was as I stepped out of a lift on the 6th floor of a building... they're always the same; a small, slightly curled, pure white feather.

I love it when I find them!

Even if it's not 'who' we think it is, it always makes us think of them, or feel like there's something positive surrounding us, so in a way, the association is a sweet one regardless of why the feathers happen to be there :)

I hadn't read of others finding the same, so thanks for bringing this up.

I often find white feathers in my bedroom.
No idea what the angels are trying to tell me... :)

They're telling you to mend the hole in your pillow.
OK that was too obvious.

Sorry, I'm not discrediting the OP or others who get white feathers, in fact I wish I got them too.

Walking along with t'mutts this morning, thinking about this thread, mainly because I see the odd 'angel' feather on the ground, I spotted one stuck to a tree branch at eye level! :D

There are photos, if anyone's interested. :lol:

I bought a box of eggs from Sainsbury's today, and when I checked inside, I found... a white feather!
The angels again?

:)

So incorporeal angels are constantly shedding physically tangible feathers?

escargot1 said:
Walking along with t'mutts this morning, thinking about this thread, mainly because I see the odd 'angel' feather on the ground, I spotted one stuck to a tree branch at eye level! :D

There are photos, if anyone's interested. :lol:

Don't tease: you know we want to see the photo!

jmasel said:
So incorporeal angels are constantly shedding physically tangible feathers?

It is interesting how these events match themselves to Western expectations of what an angelic being would look like. If I picture angelic beings as having colored feathers, would I find such? If I pictured angelic beings as having no wings at all, but simply surrounded by light, what would I find?

The question is easily dealt with by angel 'experts', in the same way as mediums explain why their spirit guides are usually stereotypical Red Indian chiefs or Chinese or Indian gurus: the other side considerately shows us signs which we can easily understand. We wouldn't comprehend a manifestation of pure spirit.

The feathers are thus seen as carefully-placed material symbols of the spirit world, rather than discarded bits of angel wing. ;)

We have whole threads on here about angels and fluffy feathers. Wonderful reading!
Also, we have one about the folk belief of robins being bringers of hopeful messages from Beyond. I like that one a lot, and thought of it while I was trying hard to photograph robins in the snow.

When you're in the depths of despair, say in bereavement, sometimes a little 'sign' like a robin or feather might be just what you need. :)

I'll post my 'branch feather' photos as soon as I have 5 minutes to get them onto Photobucket. ;)

escargot1 said:
we have one about the folk belief of robins being bringers of hopeful messages from Beyond. I like that one a lot, and thought of it while I was trying hard to photograph robins in the snow.

I tried that while I was clearing snow off my drive. The little bugger was sat on the fence in perfect scenic pose but every time I pulled my camera out he waited until I had just got my finger hovering over the button and would fly off. Only to return seconds after I had put the camera away.

Ah, well, y'see, you have to be clever about it. ;)

I'd been putting robin-friendly food out every day in the same place so when they saw me coming they flocked around, with little bibs on. It was easy to snap them as long as I stood still while they were noshing, :lol:

Yup, it was about the size of my thumb. :D

I like to think it was sent by a big, butch, muscular sort of angel. :mrgreen:

Here's a photo of the boldest robin, and here's a close-up. :D

I bump into a young bloke taking photos in t'woods sometimes. Last time, I proudly showed him my robin snaps. He was gratifyingly awestruck. 8)

Magnanimously, I blabbed my birdfeeding secret.

I bet he's won about 100 wildlife photography competitions by now. :roll:

Thank you. :D

I'm trying really hard with the photos. Cart the camera around everywhere, whip it out (ooer) at the slightest sign of a composition. :lol:

Wow escargot those are really nice, snow is a bugger to expose in if you see what i erm mean, err ill get my etc

Childhood White Feather

I was just telling my family about a memory of mine involving a white feather. I was about two or three years old and remember waking up at a small hour when all were sleeping needing to use the wc. I remember trying very had to be brave and go the journey down the dark hallway by myself. I made it cautiously out the bedroom door and sensed something behind me. I turned, thinking "monster" but instead saw a giant white feather pogo-ing up and down. It was so strange...it followed me down the hall to the bathroom. It wasn't there when I was finished and ready to go back. Not sure if it gave me courage or simply encouraged me to get on with it. Not sure if it was a dream or reality, either, after these many years.

3 and a half years ago I was knocked off my bike by a car, and broke my collar bone. This led to time off work and 2 operations (metalwork in after 3 months, metalwork out 2years after that), and has coincided with me taking the plunge and setting up in business in what was first a credit crunch and has now been a recession for almost all the time we've been trading. Pretty rubbish times financially.

I first read this thread a while ago after a natter with my most new age-y friend, who wholeheartedly believes in everything from crystals to feathers and saying "thank you" to the Universe and guardian angels when good things happen. I count myself as an interested sceptic - we have great conversations. I've always been lucky in finding money, and have found unreturnable amounts ranging from pence to proper wedges, and have learned that when you start seeing it, you find more of it. She'd mentioned the belief that feathers are a good omen, and we joked about birds crapping on you being an even better sign, however unpleasant.

By mid-May things had reached a financially desperate fever pitch as one of our clients suddenly decided to delay payment on a sizeable invoice, and one of our wedding couples also failed to pay on time causing a major cash-flow problem. I was contemplating the impact of not taking a wage and stressed out beyond belief knowing that the money was stuck somewhere in the legal process of an injury claim, which my lawyer had promised had been "almost finished" since January. Everything felt just out of reach and altogether too far away and I was sick of planning what I'd do when the money came in whilst having virtually nothing to show for working so flipping hard.

Leaning against the bus stop at 5.30 after a serious end of day chat with my business partner, I felt a suspiciously gloopy tap on my head followed by a splash on my hand. Bird crap. Great. But being me, I looked on the bright side and thought "I'd better keep an eye out for some good news then."

The next day I was waiting for something good to happen - in one of those "Go on then, prove it" moods. Just before 5.00 that afternoon, my phone went. It was my lawyer offering me the right amount to settle the claim and saying that the money could be in my bank account in time to fill all the holes. Of course I accepted. I called my business partner to tell her, and she remembered she'd found 14p on the floor earlier in the day, so it could be part of the same Universal power thingy and a good sign for the company, if we chose to look at it that way, and doesn't money (like other good things) come in 3s? Sure enough, the outstanding amount which we'd been led to believe wouldn't be in our account for another few weeks arrived within a couple of days.

Then a few days later on my walk to work, I kept noticing feathers on the ground. At one point I was looking for a bird corpse as it looked like a dove must've been dismembered by something vicious that had dragged it along my walking route trailing feathers. I remember laughing when I saw a few flourescent pink feathers, from someone's wrecked boa, as I passed a pub. I wondered if, if there's anything in it, that's the equivalent of the Universe writing in red ink and underlining. I was waiting for the money to hit my account by this point and checking every few hours whilst getting on with some work that required me to be in a dark studio. On an editing trip into the light side of our studio, my business partner was going crazy calling me to come and see - a pigeon with half the feathers on his head torn out was trying frantically to get in our window. I tried to get a closer look at him and he flew off. 5 mins later, he was back with a friend - a cleaner-looking fully-feathered pigeon, and they were both tapping at the window and dancing on the window ledge. Again they flew off when we went to look. This was a distraction from work, and whilst loading the latest shots onto the computer, I checked my bank account... and Ker-ching! The money was there.

I'm not convinced by a long chalk, but I've seen no more feathers, no more scruffy pigeons, and no more loose change since then, although I am very much keeping my eyes open.

I'm not one to say 'I told you so!' but I told you, see, see, told you, see, told you, told you, see! See!

Told you.

Back