• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Are Psychics Talking To?

MrRING

Android Futureman
So when a psychic says they are talking to somebody, what are they talking to, and where are they? (this is assuming you are talking to a real psychic, as opposed to a complete fake)

For example, when a psychic says they are talking to a spirit, is this spirit manifest somewhere close and the psychic is hearing it's voice via their ear?

Or is the spirit of the dead in heaven (or hades) and they connect mentally? Or are they just somewhere else on the planet? Or are they all just non-human "spirit entities"?

Are only the recent dead contactable? Or could we talk to Julius Caesar if we wanted to?

Any opinions/first hand experiences?

I guess I'm just trying to make sense of it....

I'm going to Derek Acorah's live show in Oxford in January. More out of inquisitiveness. I'm quite sceptical but I figure he can't have a whole theatre of plants. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

I am thinking of taking a picture or something that belonged to an old great uncle and see if he picks up on anything. Bit safer than taking a grandparent related item as that would be too close for comfort think if he started on about someoe I actually knew.

99% certain he'll not pick up on anything to do with me. It's always a friend of a friend who gets done good so if he gets anything on me I'll excitedly post news of it on here. Don't hold your breath.

We saw Degs last January at the mighty Winsford Town Hall. He was great, we weren't disappointed.
Where are you seeing him?

escargot said:
We saw Degs last January at the mighty Winsford Town Hall. He was great, we weren't disappointed.
Where are you seeing him?

Oxford New Theatre. Never seen his live stuff, only seen him on MH and Haunted Antiques. Read his latest book though which was alright.
He seems a nice guy. Too nice to be a schyster but he's just so OTT at times. Will reserve judgement til after the show.

Becomes even more interesting if you factor in reincarnation !

Man goes to pschic; his interest initially aroused by family history research. Psychic informs man that his great-grandfather, Joshua Pratt, is present. Joshua Pratt, via the psychic, provides secret information about the family, which man later discovers (through family-research) to be true.

At same time, a little two and a half year old girl stuns her mother by announcing that last time she was alive, she was a man named Joshua Pratt, and had lots of white whiskers and wore a tall black hat. As the weeks go by, the little girl tells her mother that when she was Joshua Pratt, she lived at 10 Posh Street. Concerned but intrigued, the mother visits the local library and is shocked to learn that a Joshua Pratt did live at 10 Posh Street. A photo of Mr.Pratt reveals the whiskers and top hat.

How can Joshua Pratt communicate normally to the psychic ... yet also be reincarnated as a little girl? It becomes more confusing when we learn that during his life-time, Joshua Pratt had numerous memories of a past-life as a foot-soldier in Greece.

I know who *some* of them talk to

Here is my take on conversations with a few people who do extraordinary things. The "real" medium talks with several entities.
So-called (because nobody has a better name for them) "spirit guides" are the major ones. These are almost always with the medium. Some mediums give them names, some do not. They also help "those who have passed" come to speak to the living, through the medium.

It's hard to tell if spirit guides were previously living or not.
(many fundamentalist religions will say that it is a demon, although I am sure that it is not)

Some who have passed have strong energy (again, for lack of a better word) and can communicate with the medium directly. This sometimes scares/startles/awakes the medium, and seeks answers nearby, and sometimes scares/surprises/astounds the people nearby with highly personal information that *nobody else* would know.

Cold reading is different. Cold reading is trying to guess at initials or facts from the person who wants to talk to the dearly departed. For the mediums I know, it does NOT work this way. Spirits are random beings, and come and go at the oddest times.

Some mediums see, some hear, some smell, some feel the spirits, and many times a combination of these senses. Some see dearly departed animal spirits. Some see human spirits. Most see auras.

I am a little sceptic about some mediums. Mainly the ones on TV. The reason is that even though I can understand that communication may be a little difficult I never get it when they (mediums) ask more questions than answer. For example they go: "I see an M..., do you know anyone or anything starting with M?"
Of cause most do. I once saw a family that when asked, had absolutely no idea what he was on about and the medium said:"It will become clear later." (It didn't, nice try though).
Having said that, I believe that those "Ladies" that help the police are quite real. Even though they seem to go by emphathy rather than "speaking" to the deceased.
It would be nice to know that we can communicate with spirits, shame though that what the spirits have to say is usually what we know/thought all along about the afterworld (If they care to tell us at all and don't go on and on about vague descriptions of private stuff: "I can hear the word SOCK, something about a sock...and a screwdriver." "Ooh yes, he used to wear socks and sometimes used the screwdriver..It's HIM!!!")

;)

So when a psychic says they are talking to somebody, what are they talking to, and where are they?
Maybe they're just picking up each other, the psychics.

Are only the recent dead contactable? Or could we talk to Julius Caesar if we wanted to?
Derek Acorah channeling Caesar. Why doesn't that work? Why is Aunty Hilda somehow more believable.

I'd like to see a medium channel Jesus?

I am a little sceptic about some mediums.
Me too.

Try Joe Fisher's Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts. Scared the crap out of me, I can tell you.

Basically, he made a study of some remarkably accurate mediums. The characters they channelled gave detailed information, which stood up to basic scrutiny. However, it fell apart with in depth study. Something very strange going on. Then there's the account of the spirit that latched onto him, who insisted they were lovers in past lives, and had to be together. I believe it was Colin Wilson who suggested that Fisher's alleged suicide may have been spiritually aided.

Makes for uncomfortable reading. Fisher studies the stuff, but can't reach definite conclusions, which may annoy some, but strikes me as honest. Basically, it's psychic vampirism. There is something out there, but what it is is wot men weren't meant to wot of.

Tricksters. I believe the same cause is also behind the UFO phenomenon, ghosts, MIBs, channelling, angels, and in fact any other kind of experience where people believe they are in contact with non-human entities.

I have no idea what the Tricksters actually are, or even whether they have any kind of permanent existence, but they certainly shouldn't be trusted.

graylien said:
I have no idea what the Tricksters actually are, or even whether they have any kind of permanent existence, but they certainly shouldn't be trusted.

Same goes for people. :imo: Don't trust 'em (much). I'm kinda of the same mind as you about this one, graylien. Not so much that I think beings are always trying to put one over on us . . . but can anyone tell me about a clever, engaging spirit that was channeled by a medium? They're so boring. I don't put much stock in what some loser ghost that's just hanging around the living has to say. Has anyone read those Seth books? :goof: I believe Seth was a real spirit. You can't make up a character that obnoxious. I think I already posted this sentiment in another thread, and made about as much (non)sense that time as I have now. Bye . . . :blush:

EDIT: I could just be bitter because I tried to do automatic writing a few times and it never worked. Which was probably a good thing, since I don't seem to like ghosts.

Tricksters = Fallen Angels or Demons
They are indeed tricking us, tricking us into believing the Devils original lie that turned Mankind away from God.

They mascarade as dead loved ones so that we belive they are actually living somewhere else, the original lie was that you would not die if you ate from the tree.
Ghosts have the same job of deciept
These loved ones often have messages that lead people to belive that belief in Jesus sacrifice is not required in order to live on.
The reason they know so much about us to tell the mediums is that they are amongst us and watch us all the time.

Mascarading as aliens helps people who dont want to belive in God to belive that an alien intelligence put us here instead.
This is one of the reasons alien abduction involves leaving your body behind, because the aliens are spiritual entieties not physical.
All the people I met who see aliens are also involved in one of the Charismatic Churches such as Pentecostals or Spiritualist that like to contact these "dead Loved ones"

Sceptical in such things. I think there are some individuals who will genuinely be in contact with beings not of humankind, like jinn, but I have trouble trusting whatever they might say.
Had a guy come up to me the other day while sat with a busking friend who instantly picked up on certain things about me. Totally thrown and didn't know what to make of it.
Thing is, what was said may be true to a degree, but paranoia makes me think there'll be some aspect to it that is playing mischevious games. So I decided to try and ignore, nomatter how useful it may actually be.

When searching for something on'ere I came across this from a few years ago. Dunno if it fits this thread but it's worthy of another look.

So have this again, from Sasquatch on b3ta -

My family used to have the village shop in a tiny farming village in rural Lincolnshire. And because it was so distributed, my dad used to do deliveries in the van. Farmers and their families would phone through their orders, and make a date for delivery.

On weekends, as a young Sasquatch, I'd go with my Dad and help him carry boxes and bags. This was great, as I got to go round all the farms, play with all the kids and be shown all the animals.

One day, we were visiting a farm, and the farmer's wife introduced my dad to her mum, who was visiting. She said her mum was the local fortune-teller, at which my dad smiled politely and said "How interesting." or some such.

He didn't believe in any of that rubbish. A more mundane and normal setting could not be imagined - a workday farmhouse kitchen, plain wooden table, muddy boots by the door.

Then this woman looks up at my dad and says "I've got a message for you." Her face crumpled, and she was clearly confused. "It's your sister, but it's a man. He's in a greenhouse in the sky, but it's falling and it's on fire. How can a greenhouse be in the sky...? How can a man be your sister?"

To my total surprise, my Dad's face was wet with tears. He thanked her for the message and said he understood perfectly. Things returned to normality; tea was made, drunk, and we left.

In the van, I was bursting to know what that had all been about. When my Dad had been a teenager, his best pal was a lad called Peter, and they looked very similar in height and facial features.

People used to ask them if they were brothers, and their stock reply was "No, we're sisters!"

Peter had gone into the RAF during the war, and had flown in an Anson light bomber, which was nicknamed the Flying Greenhouse. His plane had been lost over the Channel.

All she needed was for someone they had in common to mention the relevant details in passing and hey presto, she's a psychic. There you go, a bit of scepticism!

It's a good story, but the potential is there for it to be a wind up. Did the farmer, farmers wife know his dad back in the day and prime the mother to pretend psychic ability?

Last edited:
People used to ask them if they were brothers, and their stock reply was "No, we're sisters!"

Peter had gone into the RAF during the war, and had flown in an Anson light bomber, which was nicknamed the Flying Greenhouse. His plane had been lost over the Channel.
That is indeed an excellent tale, Escargot.

I always think with things like that, if it is not something the psychic heard and repeated (whether they consciously realise that or not - which is of course the common sense, occam's razor approach), then it doesn't shed any light either way on where that information's coming from. The information is inside that man's head / Or the information is out in the world and is something concrete that happened in the past / Or the information is coming from his dead mate's consciousness somehow = and the psychic is accessing that inforamtion somehow. None seems more likely than another, because all three are equally unlikely by common sense / accepted understanding of the world, but all three (and no doubt other ideas) would fit.

(Not a very helpful comment but there we are).

We also didn't get to hear the message, which was a little disappointing.
As I see it the message was the affirmation, that the man's 'sister' was still around in Spirit. That's all you'd need to hear.

It's not the weirdest thing I've heard. How about a message, via a medium, from a living tree?

Curse my memory - I read reviews and blogs and don't book-mark the interesting ones. About 18 months ago I read the background to a book written by a Medium, which was something along the lines of '472 answered questions about death and the Afterlife'. He compiled the most common questions asked of him and gave unambiguous replies based on his experiences, but I can only remember one:

Can my dead Grandma see me in real life ?
Yes she can see you all the time.
What ?? you mean even when I'm doing *that*
Oh sure, but she's dead so what does it matter.

Must find that book.

That is indeed an excellent tale, Escargot.

I always think with things like that, if it is not something the psychic heard and repeated (whether they consciously realise that or not - which is of course the common sense, occam's razor approach), then it doesn't shed any light either way on where that information's coming from. The information is inside that man's head / Or the information is out in the world and is something concrete that happened in the past / Or the information is coming from his dead mate's consciousness somehow = and the psychic is accessing that inforamtion somehow. None seems more likely than another, because all three are equally unlikely by common sense / accepted understanding of the world, but all three (and no doubt other ideas) would fit.

(Not a very helpful comment but there we are).

Good comment. The story is truly Fortean. We'll never fathom it.

The Anson light bombers that the RAF wags called the Flying Greenhouse did have a lot of glass.

I think most psychics aren't talking to anyone but they are getting hints...probably from their mortgage repayment people, debt companies etc

It's from the b3ta Question Of The Week section. Highly recommended.
This sort of thing just reaffirms my belief that, in some cases, there's a kind of low-level telepathic field going on. Almost as though a thought that's deeply buried can be be 'found' by someone who doesn't have a clue what it means. A bit like those moments when you say something to someone and they say 'I was just thinking about that!' only more oblique?

I have said things myself - just blurted them out to someone, like 'how's your sister?' (to someone I just met and who, to my knowledge, didn't have a sister), and they've gone white and said 'how did you know my sister was ill?' Well, I didn't, obviously, but something said 'sister' to me (not aloud, also obviously), maybe they reminded me of someone else who'd been talking about their sister or maybe I misheard them saying something about their sister or who knows what else. So I blurted out asking after their sister and they did the rest.

When searching for something on'ere I came across this from a few years ago. Dunno if it fits this thread but it's worthy of another look.

So have this again, from Sasquatch on b3ta -

My family used to have the village shop in a tiny farming village in rural Lincolnshire. And because it was so distributed, my dad used to do deliveries in the van. Farmers and their families would phone through their orders, and make a date for delivery.

On weekends, as a young Sasquatch, I'd go with my Dad and help him carry boxes and bags. This was great, as I got to go round all the farms, play with all the kids and be shown all the animals.

One day, we were visiting a farm, and the farmer's wife introduced my dad to her mum, who was visiting. She said her mum was the local fortune-teller, at which my dad smiled politely and said "How interesting." or some such.

He didn't believe in any of that rubbish. A more mundane and normal setting could not be imagined - a workday farmhouse kitchen, plain wooden table, muddy boots by the door.

Then this woman looks up at my dad and says "I've got a message for you." Her face crumpled, and she was clearly confused. "It's your sister, but it's a man. He's in a greenhouse in the sky, but it's falling and it's on fire. How can a greenhouse be in the sky...? How can a man be your sister?"

To my total surprise, my Dad's face was wet with tears. He thanked her for the message and said he understood perfectly. Things returned to normality; tea was made, drunk, and we left.

In the van, I was bursting to know what that had all been about. When my Dad had been a teenager, his best pal was a lad called Peter, and they looked very similar in height and facial features.

What was the message?

Back