• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Are Psychics Talking To?

I can see myself now, sitting in bed with my glasses on, yelling "Put it away, Scargy, I'm trying to read!"

It's not really a 'gift' then, is it? Or, it's the kind you get from your elderly auntie, that's an awful colour, two sizes too small and with zips in unexpected places.

Meant to add this earlier. When being artistic/musical/good with machinery/intuitive with animals etc enriches one's own life and those of others, that is certainly a gift.

I can see myself now, sitting in bed with my glasses on, yelling "Put it away, Scargy, I'm trying to read!"

Here's a preview.

moooooooooon.jpg

I have already offered this service to all and sundry. It includes 3am spectral mooning.
I'll pm you my address- wouldn't want to miss out. It'll have to be a loud moon cos I sleep heavy.

Someone has mentioned it before but it's worth mentioning again - Joe Fisher's "The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts" is an eye opener - basically we can't possibly know, but don't believe anything channeled through a medium. Even if it has an otherworld source, that source isn't necessarily telling the truth...

Someone has mentioned it before but it's worth mentioning again - Joe Fisher's "The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts" is an eye opener - basically we can't possibly know, but don't believe anything channeled through a medium. Even if it has an otherworld source, that source isn't necessarily telling the truth...
The problem is I didn't believe anything the medium told me in 1999, and suffered horrendously as a result. You can't win.

The problem is I didn't believe anything the medium told me in 1999, and suffered horrendously as a result. You can't win.

*nods* Like Cassandra. She had the gift of seeing the future, but the curse that nobody would believe her prophecies.

I sometimes wonder if that still happens now. :(

That's what I wanted to know. It appears that the message was little more than 'I'm here'. These messages from beyond usually carry very little informational content. The location of the key to a hidden safe deposit would be much more useful.

The message 'I'm here', if that's what was going on, is much more profound than where to find a key.

What I still to this day fail to understand is how some are able to predict the future so accurately. Are the dead or spirit guides aware of what the future holds and if so why the hell don't we get warned?

The usual explanation is that the medium is hearing from someone who is outside the normal rules of time and so can see everything at once.

Here's an analogy -

Say you're at a bus stop far out in the country. Buses are infrequent and you're not sure when one will come, or even if they're running. Your phone is dead so you can't check.

A bloke in the nearby field is operating a drone. You call out ''scuse me Mate, d'you know when the bus is due?'
He replies 'Nah sorry. I could 'ave a look though!'

He directs the drone higher and looks at the images it sends to his iPad.
'There's a bus coming this way, just turned off the main road!'

You thank him and feel relieved you'll be home on time.

The drone can 'see' the bus approaching because it is not constrained, as we on the ground are, to looking along lanes and over hedges.

I've been called a bit 'psychic' but it's not a 'gift' I particularly like or want

I don't hear or 'talk' to anyone or anything external, but I sometimes just know things without knowing how I know. It's like a flash of a thought, a phrase, a date or an image popping into my brain which is very fleeting.

On other occasions (rarely) it's a feeling of dread just building until an event happens, then the dread is gone - or a bad feeling about a situation or person which is normally correct.

Or maybe I am just good at 'reading' people and situations. I wrote a bit more about it here:

I've weirded out several people by somehow knowing things about them that I shouldn't have known, and by telling them things I couldn't have known about. I cannot say if this is 'psychic' ability or not. It's not something that is planned, it just pops into my head.

I think that maybe I can 'read' people fairly well, I can unconciously pick up small clues and gauge their feelings and intentions? It could be described as a kind of emotional intelligence, perhaps.

I have put my people-reading skills to the test a few times as a minor party trick, reading very small facial expressions and pre-verbal clues (ie the words that are about to be spoken). Cold reading is rather fun to pick apart, too.

I have had several premonitive dreams that were highly distressing, but again this is not proof of any kind of super-normal ability.

My opinion of the OP's question is that anyone who publically claims to be 'A Psychic' probably is a fake. The thought of charging money for what insights pop into my head is anathema to me; in fact it makes me feel quite ill. Generally it's nice to know how someone is feeling but there are occasions where it's distressing or draining and I'd rather not know.

I still find the idea of claiming to be 'A Psychic' and charging people money utterly nauseating.

The usual explanation is that the medium is hearing from someone who is outside the normal rules of time and so can see everything at once.

Here's an analogy -

Say you're at a bus stop far out in the country. Buses are infrequent and you're not sure when one will come, or even if they're running. Your phone is dead so you can't check.

A bloke in the nearby field is operating a drone. You call out ''scuse me Mate, d'you know when the bus is due?'
He replies 'Nah sorry. I could 'ave a look though!'

He directs the drone higher and looks at the images it sends to his iPad.
'There's a bus coming this way, just turned off the main road!'

You thank him and feel relieved you'll be home on time.

The drone can 'see' the bus approaching because it is not constrained, as we on the ground are, to looking along lanes and over hedges.
I think it's like this analogy except that you haven't told the drone operator which bus you are waiting for and there are four on the main road, all going in different directions.

I think it's like this analogy except that you haven't told the drone operator which bus you are waiting for and there are four on the main road, all going in different directions.

The drone operator doesn't care which bus it is. He just wants him to stop pestering so he can carry on flying his drone.
There might not even BE a bus.

My family used to have the village shop in a tiny farming village in rural Lincolnshire. And because it was so distributed, my dad used to do deliveries in the van. Farmers and their families would phone through their orders, and make a date for delivery.

On weekends, as a young Sasquatch, I'd go with my Dad and help him carry boxes and bags. This was great, as I got to go round all the farms, play with all the kids and be shown all the animals.

One day, we were visiting a farm, and the farmer's wife introduced my dad to her mum, who was visiting. She said her mum was the local fortune-teller, at which my dad smiled politely and said "How interesting." or some such.

He didn't believe in any of that rubbish. A more mundane and normal setting could not be imagined - a workday farmhouse kitchen, plain wooden table, muddy boots by the door.

This reminds me of a story my dad told me years ago. We lived in southern Lincolnshire, right on the edge of the Fen, where my dad was assistant manager at one of the High Street Banks in a market town. He had a male customer who told him that there was an old lady who lived further out on the Fen - somewhere near Spalding, I think - who had a reputation as a fortune teller. Apparently this customer had been along to see her; walked into the house, and the old lady instantly told him a whole bunch of stuff about himself which he said was true. At the end of her 'reading', she told him something that was going to happen to him - no idea what it was, my dad said the customer didn't want to tell him, but he seemed quite shaken up by it. I have no idea whether it ever came true.

This reminds me of a story my dad told me years ago. We lived in southern Lincolnshire, right on the edge of the Fen, where my dad was assistant manager at one of the High Street Banks in a market town. He had a male customer who told him that there was an old lady who lived further out on the Fen - somewhere near Spalding, I think - who had a reputation as a fortune teller. Apparently this customer had been along to see her; walked into the house, and the old lady instantly told him a whole bunch of stuff about himself which he said was true. At the end of her 'reading', she told him something that was going to happen to him - no idea what it was, my dad said the customer didn't want to tell him, but he seemed quite shaken up by it. I have no idea whether it ever came true.
Was her name 'Honor'?
Back in the mid 90s, I was living in Peterborough. My crazy housemate called in a psychic (Honor) to come round and read our fortunes. I ended up paying, but she didn't charge much. A lot of what she said was bang-on, but other stuff has turned out to be wrong (I mean, she said I'd get married). She was probably in her early 60s then, so she may not be around now.

Was her name 'Honor'?
Back in the mid 90s, I was living in Peterborough. My crazy housemate called in a psychic (Honor) to come round and read our fortunes. I ended up paying, but she didn't charge much. A lot of what she said was bang-on, but other stuff has turned out to be wrong (I mean, she said I'd get married). She was probably in her early 60s then, so she may not be around now.

This was mid-80s, and I don't remember my dad mentioning the name of the old lady in question.

Back