• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Are Psychics Talking To?

A lot of what she said was bang-on, but other stuff has turned out to be wrong (I mean, she said I'd get married).
Whatever you do, don't be too dismissive of what you thought was wrong. As I said above I did and the result was not good. Some of the stuff I was told took 25 years to come true.
Don't forget to invite us to the wedding, Mythopoeika!

Just stumbled upon this, Just finished another John Keel Anthology, in one of the articles he speculates that the Phenomena (UFOs, Fairies,
Psychic stuff) may be imitative noting that it appears to change to suit the times, he mentions one famous Psychic giving the whole thing up when he realised that what he was receiving was not the souls of the dear departed but something imitating them, the late Joe Fisher actually wrote a great book on the subject (The Siren Call of the Hungry Ghost)

To me it's the nearly right stuff that raises alarm bells, in the book the gives the example of someone who claimed to have been a pilot in the RAF WW2, he gave lots of details many of which checked out, all apart from his name there was no record of him, and this has happened a number of times, information that's nearly right but not quite and the omission is something major like a name

Sorry should have read earlier in the thread where Joe Fisher is discussed

This being right but not quite right runs right the way through Fortean phenomena, even with hypnotic regression cases, many give really good details but there's always one thing that does not match up with facts, maybe its from another similar dimension where things are almost exactly the same as here, or the great controlling trickster just likes keeping us in the not knowing for sure state

The other thing is how mundane much of it is, one of the biggest questions we have "what happens when we die?" Uncle George says hello and he's handing you a bunch of flowers, really!

The other thing is how mundane much of it is, one of the biggest questions we have "what happens when we die?" Uncle George says hello and he's handing you a bunch of flowers, really!
When all the mediums etc. ask them this, they probably just roll their ectoplasmic eyes and think "Don't worry so much about it, you'll find out for yourself soon enough".

Someone has mentioned it before but it's worth mentioning again - Joe Fisher's "The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts" is an eye opener - basically we can't possibly know, but don't believe anything channeled through a medium. Even if it has an otherworld source, that source isn't necessarily telling the truth...
Re Hungry Ghosts: I read this book after its discussion on this thread. Thanks, @SimonBurchell, for introducing it. What an interesting story and analysis. My heart went out to the author, who apparently committed suicide after writing the book.

The author’s conclusion, that the source of the channeled voices could not be determined, and seemed to be not dead people, but something else, was the same as I reached after a few forays into the world of commercial channeling. By this I mean the kind where you pay the channeler (the medium), the channeler goes into a trance, then a different intelligence takes over the channeler, and talks with you. I vaguely recall trying this out three times or so with different channelers.

I once annoyed a spiritual entity with my challenges to its superior spiritual state and former state as a physically living being, and it broke off the session early, which flummoxed the channeler who then had to refund my money. This was the last time I engaged in this. I decided that I could not ever determine who or what I was conversing with; that my living life had a purpose which did not require someone or something else interpreting it for me; and that I was not taking spiritual direction from some snob spirit. :) Fuck ‘em.

When I was in my early 20's, I went to two psychics. One was a private reading (in her home) and the other was at a psychic expo. I don't remember much from either, but I do remember the odd comments. I call these odd comments because they were so far out on a limb, and one explained to me very specifically, that I remembered them.

Both psychics told me that I'd be going back to school (I'd just graduated college) and this was at a time that very few people, if any, attended any type of formal education in later years (only young people were in school). I was quite surprised that at the age of 40ish, I quit my job to attend college full time to change careers, and this was my choice, not due to lay off or anything. And I have been back once, since, to complete a full program that took several years of part time to complete. So, that one prediction voiced by two different people - actual psychic info, or a self-fulfilling prophecy?

The other comment made to me by one psychic was that by the time I was 40, I would be wealthy. She then explained that "wealthy" did not mean unbelievably rich, but that I'd have enough money to do whatever I wished. Funny that at the age of 40, I decided I wanted change in my job and then managed to quit my full time job and return to school full time (20 weeks) and did not have to beg, borrow nor steal to do it. The year that I decided to enrol in college again, I spoke to my accountant and he looked into some things and managed to get me a tax refund that basically was enough to work with for the time that I was unemployed. I am not cheap, but I am careful with money and all of this was made possible.

So what to make of it? I don't know.

Neither psychic proclaimed to be speaking to anyone. The one did a tarot reading, the other one just chatted.

I tend to "know" things. That is the only way I can explain it. Nothing majorly important, but just things that get me by in life. I think that everyone has this ability, and it can be called intuition. The degree to which everyone has it, imo, is dependent on how much they pay attention to it and give it credibility. The more you learn to trust your intuition, the better it becomes.

No, I cannot see why anyone would charge someone money to tell them things they already know (if they are truthful to themselves). People will talk to me, and sometimes I will say something that I intuit that might help them out; other times, I say nothing because I know that they don't want to hear it.

I don't see when someone might die, but many times when people I know have been very ill and almost died, I have not worried because I don't feel that they will die. Of course I would never say this to anyone as the people involved would be very upset and think that I am uncaring. Not true.

I am sure there are tons of scams, but I believe a few people have a gift.

When my wife was a teenager, so took a dare to get a palm reading.

Everything came true such as having a family, and even down being told the first letter of the last name of the man that would marry her.

Now my wife has a six sense or maybe a good intuition, and over the years she has surprised me of things that came true.

My wife says she does nothing to try to force a prediction.

My wife says there is no explanation, but thoughts just come to her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a psychic once, with a few friends, back in the 80's when it was a kind of 'party thing.' This lady had been very well spoken of and taped the reading so you could listen back to check how accurate it was.

At this point I'd just started dating the man who was to be my ex husband (well, he wasn't meant to be my ex, but you see what I mean). I don't remember much of what she said, and the tape was lost years ago, but I do remember afterwards sort of retro-fitting what she'd said to fit the relationship I was currently trying to have. She said, for example (and this is the only bit I remember clearly), that I would marry a man who loved water and the sea. My ex grew up abroad in a warm country and spent a lot of time swimming, so I took it to mean that this related to him.

I don't remember her having ANYTHING to say on the subject of subsequent relationships. Or that I'd have more than two children (I think I would have remembered THAT). Or that I would end up as a single mother with a bunch of kids, barely affording to live, miles away from my family. These would have been the things that I really NEEDED to know, even if I hadn't believed the prediction. She very much dwelled on the 'wish fulfilment' end of the spectrum 'you will marry and be happy and have a boy and girl' type of thing.

She also didn't pick up on the fact that I'd already been married. Probably because my first marriage was when I was very young. But the point is that these were all things that were important. Yet she never said a word about them. If she was talking to spirits (or even demons), then they should have known this and at least mentioned it.

The one psychic that gave me the reading at the expo told me that I wouldn't marry the person I was currently seeing - wrong. I think it was she who told me that I'd have two children, not my own - wrong unless my nieces and nephews count. I never wanted kids though, did entertain the notion that I might foster or adopt, but I never did.

My wife claims she thinks she is sensitive to a person’s Karma

Anyone who posts here thinks they may have a increased sixth sense like my wife ?

But my wife as never chosen the right lottery numbers.

We are still poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife claims she thinks she is sensitive to a person’s Karma

Anyone who posts here thinks they may have a increased sixth sense like my wife ?

But my wife as never chosen the right lottery numbers.

We are still poor.
I seem to have a sixth sense about people I meet,9.5 times out of 10,I'm right. Also about buildings and places too.

In what way do you read people, what can you tell?
Just whether they're decent, trouble,or unpleasant. I get like a punch to the chest if they're unpleasant in any way,the hairs on the back of my neck go up and I feel prickly all over. Its hard to explain. A gut feeling if you like..
Only ever ben wrong twice. So far.

My wife claims if she is able to shake hands with a person, so can tell a lot about that person.

If no hand shake, just like grumpyoldwoman, my wife says she senses body language.

Maybe all average people can read body language.

My wife claims if she is able to shake hands with a person, so can tell a lot about that person.

If no hand shake, just like grumpyoldwoman, my wife says she senses body language.

Maybe all average people can read body language.
I can't. Most of the people I have instantly disliked on first sight have gone on to become very good friends. Absolutely nothing sinister about them at all. It says more about me I think.

It is said when a man and women first meet, in only 10 seconds they know if they are compatible.

I usually in the first few seconds look at the eyes.

I think the eyes tell a lot about a person.

There was a woman who was the sister in law of one of the mothers when my children were in Primary school.
Whenever she came near I felt physically ill and I've found that some other people had the same reaction.
It turned out she had been in prison for stabbing someone.
Although I was friendly to this mother she really wanted to be a "best"type friend but I just couldn't and she defrauded a couple of the other mother of quite a bit of money.

When I was 9 or 10 my parents took me to a famous local bioenergetic healer to cure my poor eye sight. I did feel something so there is something there.... but even my young me was curious why the guy was collecting fee from the patients to cure his wife from some sort of disease (can't remember which one).

I do remember asking my parents why can't he cure her himself... I was ignored....

When I was 9 or 10 my parents took me to a famous local bioenergetic healer to cure my poor eye sight. I did feel something so there is something there.... but even my young me was curious why the guy was collecting fee from the patients to cure his wife from some sort of disease (can't remember which one).

I do remember asking my parents why can't he cure her himself... I was ignored....
Did he cure your eyesight though?

It is said when a man and women first meet, in only 10 seconds they know if they are compatible.

I usually in the first few seconds look at the eyes.

I think the eyes tell a lot about a person.
But what about women and men meeting who don't want or need to be compatible? For example, meeting with things in common but no desire to be a couple? Does it have to be men and women? What about men and men?

Yeah, Catseye, it could be also man / man or woman/ woman, or what ever combination out there.

People can do what ever “floats their boat “ or “ turns their crank “.

I personally have been married to same woman for fifty years.

What an interesting series of posts:

But what about women and men meeting who don't want or need to be compatible? For example, meeting with things in common but no desire to be a couple? Does it have to be men and women? What about men and men?
But what about women and men meeting who don't want or need to be compatible? For example, meeting with things in common but no desire to be a couple?
Wanted you to come back...
Wanted you to come back...

What an interesting series of posts:
Did he cure your eyesight though?
Miraculously he did but it lasted for few months and my bad eyesight returned.... so much for it
Quoting CharlieBrown: "I usually in the first few seconds look at the eyes. I think the eyes tell a lot about a person."
But what about women and men meeting who don't want or need to be compatible? For example, meeting with things in common but no desire to be a couple?

It's past time to get off of here! I'm spending too much time & energy on being silly! :crazy:

I was poking fun. I don't think you can anything about a person within the first 10 seconds apart from whether or not you like them. Any 'compatibility' people think is there is pure lust. you can tell whether you fancy someone, whether you'd like to be compatible, but if the feeling isn't mutual - it ain't going nowhere as they say.

Back