• George Hamilton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somebody not on this list

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

FunkyTT

Fresh Blood
Oh yeah, and Mark Gatiss's documentary In Search of Dracula (
Ooh I shall have to watch this!! Is it on the Iplayer methinks, I shall have a look tonight.

Have yet to watch ep's 2/3 of Dracula properly. Had it on last night but had company so wasn't paying full attention, was good to see Mark Gattis as a solicitor in it. Always been a big fan of league of gentlemen.

( the local shop scenes were filmed v near to where I live, and the local FB page calls itself "Marsden , a local place for local people.....love that!!).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Ooh I shall have to watch this!! Is it on the Iplayer methinks, I shall have a look tonight.

Have yet to watch ep's 2/3 of Dracula properly. Had it on last night but had company so wasn't paying full attention, was good to see Mark Gattis as a solicitor in it. Always been a big fan of league of gentlemen.

( the local shop scenes were filmed v near to where I live, and the local FB page calls itself "Marsden , a local place for local people.....love that!!).
You probably know this by now, but the In Search of Dracula is on the iPlayer, just search on BBC2 for Friday night if it's not on the front page. There was a Christopher Lee-presented documentary film of the same name in the 1970s, I assume this new one is a reference to that?

Mark Gatiss was playing Renfield! Only a little bit twitchy and insectivorous, though.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
After all the moans about the 3 million-odd viewing figures, the 7 day figures paint a rosier picture for the latest Dracula:
BBC Dracula news

Now it seems 7 million, probably more, watched it, half of those on iPlayer, making it the most watched programme of the day. Not Sherlock numbers, but nothing to be ashamed of.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
We watched all 3 episodes over consecutive nights. I loved the first one although it was a bit too jokey. The atmosphere was menacing and dark. Agatha was great. The second episode was less jokey and Claes was perfect as Dracula. The ending to episode 2 left me a little irritated. There were massive plot holes and "why didn't he/she just do this, that or the other" moments from the TV sofa.

1. Why keep one box of soil? Throw it overboard and give him nowhere to rest.
2. When Dracula killed the Captain, he took the bottle and headed off to the deck inviting Agatha to follow him. Why didn't Agatha just head down into the hold and blow the ship up instead of relying on a mortally wounded Captain to do the job?
3. How did the lid of his wooden box stay on when the coffin drifted down into the depths?
4. Why was he still fresh and young looking when the divers opened his box?

Episode 3 was a car crash as far as I was concerned. The entire charm, mystery and atmosphere of the story was chucked out the window. Lucy was terrible. It felt like "Sherlock meets Dracula meets Black Mirror" with text messages and emails flying around. More gaping plot holes with stuff just crowbared in. The ending was, well...I suppose it ended at least.

But there are enough question marks left hanging to make a 2nd series although I think I'm getting sick of Gatiss and Moffat.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
I really enjoyed the way each episode worked as a self-contained piece, and the 'bottle episode' of #2 (complete with ship in a bottle to nail it home) was a stroke of genius.

The only part that I didn't like was the Lucy reveal. It was built up so effectively with the voices, reactions and reflections, that anything less than full Hollywood CGI was bound to be a let down.

Other than that - brilliant.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
l started watching with gritted teeth, waiting for the usual Gatiss/Moffat/BBC tics, but l found myself being won over. All the above trio’s knee-jerk box-ticking was present, but the central performances by Claes Bang as Dracula and Dolly Wells as Van Helsing were both excellent, and more than made up for it.

l enjoyed the dark humour and wordplay, and there were a couple of effective scares - the undead unfolding themselves from tiny boxes - to satisfy the viewer who wanted darker meat.

It was, however, let down by the ending.

7/10

maximus otter