• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
What a coincidence! I only found out about this today and said to Mr. Cherrybomb that we have to visit it. Great minds eh, Escargot :evil:

The Heartwood Institute released an album inspired by Bella (and Charles Walton).

1634479939477.png

1634479955708.png

https://www.discogs.com/release/19834054-The-Heartwood-Institute-Witchcraft-Murders-

Caroline Wilkinson, professor of craniofacial identification at Dundee University recreated Bella’s features:

0_utils.jpg

Bella's skull (which has been lost by the police):

Bella-Skull.jpg

A police handout with details of the victim:

bella2.jpg

The Wych Elm tree in the Hagley woods

Wych-Elm.jpg

The Hagley obelisk with graffiti:

TRMRMMGLPICT000020701040.jpg

Actress and Singer Clara Bauerle, a possible identity for 'Bella':

Clara.jpg

Tommy Willets, who together with Fred Payne, Robert Hart and Bob Farmer found the body while hunting for birds' eggs:

TRMRMMGLPICT000020148909.jpg

Images Sourced From Here:
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/revealed-after-75-years-face-14329271

How did they know it was a mock wedding ring?
Well quite. There were a lot of very speedy weddings during wartime, and not everyone had the time or resources to buy gold rings.

Also, it strikes me that wartime was an excellent time to commit murder and dispose of a body. Everything was in such turmoil and the police were often otherwise engaged. I wonder if this young lady had had a very speedy wedding to a man who turned out to be not very nice, who murdered and disposed of her.

Well quite. There were a lot of very speedy weddings during wartime, and not everyone had the time or resources to buy gold rings.

Also, it strikes me that wartime was an excellent time to commit murder and dispose of a body. Everything was in such turmoil and the police were often otherwise engaged. I wonder if this young lady had had a very speedy wedding to a man who turned out to be not very nice, who murdered and disposed of her.
Indeed, there was a murder of a 19-year-old near me during the war, Joan Pearl Wolfe, known as the Wigwam Murder. A French Canadian soldier was found guilty and hanged at Wandsworth Prison. At one time there was an author trying to argue that it was a wrongful conviction based on the fact that the soldier was indigenous and illiterate (therefore an underdog). Having read through the facts of the case, I think it more likely than not that they hanged the right man.

Indeed, there was a murder of a 19-year-old near me during the war, Joan Pearl Wolfe, known as the Wigwam Murder. A French Canadian soldier was found guilty and hanged at Wandsworth Prison. At one time there was an author trying to argue that it was a wrongful conviction based on the fact that the soldier was indigenous and illiterate (therefore an underdog). Having read through the facts of the case, I think it more likely than not that they hanged the right man.
One of the famous Home Office pathologist Prof Keith Simpson's more lurid and well-known cases.

Simpson held strong views that were perhaps of his time, especially with regard to race, homosexuality and female promiscuity. (It's all there in his autobiography.)

While he might have considered the 19 year-old Joan Pearl Wolfe to be 'no better than she should be', his term for a woman he considered promiscuous and possibly a casual sex worker, he'd certainly have also looked down on August Sangret who was hanged for her murder.

As you say, Sangret was guilty. But Simpson wasn't above massaging the evidence to fit another, more likely suspect if he felt the need arose.

You'll know all this -
When I was a kid Woolworths sold 'imitation wedding rings' which a woman would buy to wear for a dirty weekend with a man, usually booking into some B&B as Mr and Mrs Smith.

Woolies also sold tinny engagement rings. 'She's got a Woolworths' ring' was said about a woman whose fiancé was a cheapskate. :chuckle:

If it was on the wrong finger they'd have no reason to suppose it a wedding ring. It would just be jewellery. I think it's most likely it was a brass ring (or some other non-precious metal). I know some people would use curtain rings as a mock wedding ring, if they needed to pretend to be married for any reason.

If it was on the wrong finger they'd have no reason to suppose it a wedding ring. It would just be jewellery. I think it's most likely it was a brass ring (or some other non-precious metal). I know some people would use curtain rings as a mock wedding ring, if they needed to pretend to be married for any reason.
Curtain ring? At least the 2/6 Woollies ring showed a little commitment. :chuckle:

Can't they do some DNA tests to resolve her identity? It's possible that the child is still alive and grew up thinking his/her mother abandoned him/her also in these cases it also throws up the likely suspect

Can't they do some DNA tests to resolve her identity? It's possible that the child is still alive and grew up thinking his/her mother abandoned him/her also in these cases it also throws up the likely suspect
If they've lost the skull, there's no DNA to test.

I thought the bones had been found at a local university ?
I'd worry about 'found' bones (ie, discovered in the university) may have been misattributed after all this time, or mixed up with others. Unless they'd been kept by a pathologist, separate and correctly labelled since collection, any amount of contamination could have occurred, including them being the wrong bones altogether.

Like many people, I've been intrigued by this case for a long time, any new investigation might turn up something, I shall listen to the new podcast with interest.

I wonder if, as time passes, more war time murder cases may be solved. I suspect there were a fair few husbands/wives/lovers who used the turmoil and upheaval of bombing raids etc to cover up their crimes.

Gordon Cummins, 'the blackout ripper', took advantage of the blackout to murder and there are claims that John Christie used bombed properties to disguise victims as bombing casualties when he was a special constable during the Blitz.

Gordon Cummins, 'the blackout ripper', took advantage of the blackout to murder and there are claims that John Christie used bombed properties to disguise victims as bombing casualties when he was a special constable during the Blitz.
Yep, those are the ones we know about. I'm betting there were many more.

I wonder if, as time passes, more war time murder cases may be solved. I suspect there were a fair few husbands/wives/lovers who used the turmoil and upheaval of bombing raids etc to cover up their crimes.
The famous pathologist Dr Keith Simpson describes such a case in his book Forty Years of Murder.

A woman's body was found after a wartime bombing in London. Her husband had murdered her and as I recall, her makeshift grave was discovered when ruins were being searched after a bombing.

Back