• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Sells Fortean Times Near Me?

Dessie32

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Latest FT (10 March issue)

I come from the Dagenham & Havering areas and havent seen the latest issue of Fortean Times. Is there a distribution problem for this area?

[Emp edit: Just to say you can find the details here:

http://tinyurl.com/kzhvl

so you can contact them directly and find out.]

FT distribution problems

If you want to find out if there are distribution problems in your area, the best person to contact is James Mangan, the (Seymour Ltd.) Circulation Manager listed in the FT masthead (beside the Editorial). You can ring him via the Seymour switchboard on 020-7396 8000.

Yup, then you can get it delivered every month, and your partner can say "Oh God, not that shit geek magazine again? You're a geeky saddo! When are you going to start growing a beard?" :lol:

If you have a half-decent newsagent in the vicinity, they should be able to get it for you regularly.

Re: FT distribution problems

owenwhiteoak said:
If you want to find out if there are distribution problems in your area, the best person to contact is James Mangan, the (Seymour Ltd.) Circulation Manager listed in the FT masthead (beside the Editorial). You can ring him via the Seymour switchboard on 020-7396 8000.

Details are now here:

[edit: Thats handy the URL breaks in the forum - updated).

Re: FT distribution problems

Mighty_Emperor said:
owenwhiteoak said:

Details are now here:

[edit: Thats handy the URL breaks in the forum - updated).

I should also point out that Seymour Ltd has now moved office and James's new phone number is 020-7429 4058.

Non-UK queries should be directed to [email protected].

escargot1 said:
Yup, then you can get it delivered every month, and your partner can say "Oh God, not that shit geek magazine again? You're a geeky saddo! When are you going to start growing a beard?" :lol:
It could be worse, your partner could like the mag. I'm never the first to read my subscription copy.

Has WHSmiths stopped stocking the Fortean Times? My local branch hasn't had either of the last two issues in. And if you ask the staff about it they just reply with the time honoured "If it's not on the shelf, then we don't stock it". I'm loathe to subscribe or place an order for it as I like to check whether there's actually anything worth reading in it before I buy it.

I happened to be in Boarders the other day and they had it in men's interests!
I think on the board we are about a 50 50 split men and women.

With regards to WHSmiths Graylein I think they do still stock it but might have moved it to science. It might be worth working out though if by subscribing you save enough to cover the cost of a couple of issue you don't really fancy.

Smith's hilariously seem to stock it in a different section each month.

Most Newsagents here in Canberra seem to stock it. Often with the Science magazines, but then so are Beyond and Hard Evidence and other such publications. At least Nexus and New Age Codswallop Monthly are usually in another section.

In fact, I had a very brief conversation about FT in a newsagent yesterday. She was looking at the copy on the shelves (there was only one). When she put it down, my brother immediately picked it up (since he doesn't subscribe). Turned out she was comparing it to the copy her roommate just received in the mail to see if it was the same one. (It wasn't.)

That story had a point when I started. I wonder what it was?

graylien said:
Has WHSmiths stopped stocking the Fortean Times? My local branch hasn't had either of the last two issues in. And if you ask the staff about it they just reply with the time honoured "If it's not on the shelf, then we don't stock it". I'm loathe to subscribe or place an order for it as I like to check whether there's actually anything worth reading in it before I buy it.

WH Smith at Broughton Park, in North Wales, stock it, but rearrange the magazine section so frequently that it is a task in itself to find out where it is from one month to the next.

I notice that Tesco have started to stock FT again, it disappeared for a year or so and now it's back.

I just checked my local Smiths and it's with the science magazines.

Smiths near me stock it but I oo have experienced difficulty guessing which section they've put it on. I once found it nestling among the Doctor Who comics.

You should put a free gift on the cover and then it'll have a proper section all of its own.

I can't find it anywhere in Bradford, I have to go to Leeds to get it.

Availability in Bradford (my Dad's home town)

marionXXX said:
Our contact at Seymour has provided this list of Bradford and district retailers:

ARDEN NEWS: 52-54 TOWNGATE, KEIGHLEY, W YORKS, BD21 3QE
JAYSONS BEER BARREL: 75 BRADFORD RD, BRADFORD, W YORKS, BD10 9LB
SUNNY STORES: 61 ALBION ROAD, IDLE, 3 BRADFORD, BD10 9QE
PAPERLAND, 14 NORTHGATE, CLECKHEATON, W YORKS, BD19 5AE
HOLMES UNIT, 58 MARKET HALL, KEIGHLEY, BD21 3PQ
THE KIOSK, STATION FORECOURT, KEIGHLEY, BD21 4HP
LOCKWOOD NEWS, 4 GARGRAVE RD, SKIPTON, N.YORKS, BD23 1PJ
BARKBY, 40A GREAT HORTON RD, BRADFORD, W YORKS, BD7 1AL
SAI RAM NEWS, 35 GREAT HORTON RD, BRADFORD, W YORKS, BD7 1AT
UNIVERSITY COMMUNAL BUILDING, LONGSIDE LANE, BRADFORD, BD7 1DP
TESCO, PEEL CENTRE VALLEY ROAD, BRADFORD, BD1 4RB
TESCO, GREAT HORTON ROAD, BRADFORD, BD7 4EY
WH Smith, 10-11 DARLEY MALL, BRADFORD, BD1 1QP
WH Smith, 27 COOKE LANE, KEIGHLEY, N YORKS, BD21 3PF
WH Smith, 10 SHEEP STREET, SKIPTON, N YORKS, BD23 1JH
WH Smith, BUS MAIN CONCOURSE, BRIDGE STREET, INTERCHANGE
BRADFORD, WEST YORKSHIRE, BD1 1TU

Hope this is useful

Re: Availability in Bradford (my Dad's home town)

owenwhiteoak said:
marionXXX said:
Our contact at Seymour has provided this list of Bradford and district retailers:

ARDEN NEWS: 52-54 TOWNGATE, KEIGHLEY, W YORKS, BD21 3QE
JAYSONS BEER BARREL: 75 BRADFORD RD, BRADFORD, W YORKS, BD10 9LB
SUNNY STORES: 61 ALBION ROAD, IDLE, 3 BRADFORD, BD10 9QE
PAPERLAND, 14 NORTHGATE, CLECKHEATON, W YORKS, BD19 5AE
HOLMES UNIT, 58 MARKET HALL, KEIGHLEY, BD21 3PQ
THE KIOSK, STATION FORECOURT, KEIGHLEY, BD21 4HP
LOCKWOOD NEWS, 4 GARGRAVE RD, SKIPTON, N.YORKS, BD23 1PJ
BARKBY, 40A GREAT HORTON RD, BRADFORD, W YORKS, BD7 1AL
SAI RAM NEWS, 35 GREAT HORTON RD, BRADFORD, W YORKS, BD7 1AT
UNIVERSITY COMMUNAL BUILDING, LONGSIDE LANE, BRADFORD, BD7 1DP
TESCO, PEEL CENTRE VALLEY ROAD, BRADFORD, BD1 4RB
TESCO, GREAT HORTON ROAD, BRADFORD, BD7 4EY
WH Smith, 10-11 DARLEY MALL, BRADFORD, BD1 1QP
WH Smith, 27 COOKE LANE, KEIGHLEY, N YORKS, BD21 3PF
WH Smith, 10 SHEEP STREET, SKIPTON, N YORKS, BD23 1JH
WH Smith, BUS MAIN CONCOURSE, BRIDGE STREET, INTERCHANGE
BRADFORD, WEST YORKSHIRE, BD1 1TU

Hope this is useful

Cheers- but I've been in some of those places, Smiths especially, and they never have it, ever.

FT in Bradford

They are being sent it, so presumably they're selling out quickly (or hiding it even better than usual). Any newsagent should be able to order it for you and keep it aside, and Smith's certainly offers that service. If you only buy the occasional issue, obviously, you wouldn't want to place a permanent order. But it would still be worth talking to the staff - maybe they aren't putting it where you can find it easily, or maybe your interest would encourage them to order more copies so they didn't sell out.

OK, Smiths in Braddi- FT is located not with Nexus and related mags but in the women's mag section, bottom shelf right up underneath where you can't see it unless you get down on your hands and knees, behind Take a Break's Fate and Fortune mag :roll:

Long sht but anyone know of any sellers in Paris that are not WH Smith?

The WH Smith on Place de Concorde, as quaint and homely as it is, seems to be keeping itself afloat by ridiculously marking up it's prices. 9.20Euros for FT! In old money (GBP) that is 7.90! Nearly eight quid an issue! It only has to be shipped over the frigging channel. I will do a lot of things but paying near a tenner for a mag that is 4.20 on the UK shelf... nope. I don't understand why the mags are so expensive here, American mags shipped to the UK - much further - are not marked up this ridiculously!

Sad times for an avid magazine collector. Although will mean I no longer have hoardes of mags clagging up my apartment. May have to investigate the iPad a little closer, although I am equally perturbed by many iPad editions wording that "you can keep the iPad edition as long as you have the App" - so I can't download the iPad edition as a PDF and say open it on a second Mac? Not so much a fan of that idea either... :(

The reason I am reluctant to subscribe to anything that takes a payment once a year, is that I will almost certainly forget when the payment is due. So either I suddenly find myself £30ish poorer or the standing order fails and the bank charges me £30 (or £12 in the new caring bank economy).

Whereas if I stroll down to the newsagents, cluching my fiver once a month, I know exactly where my money situation stands.

However, my local WHS seems to have stopped carrying FT (but has at least two types of Doctor Who mags, and countless Running, Fishing and Collecting Rubbish mags).

So I'm going to have to subscribe, and try and remember when the payments are due. At least this way, I wont have to also try and remember when the next issue is out!

The deed is done. I am now a subscriber.

So if there are any secrets that I should know, or any special places on the web site where only us lot can go, let me know :D

los_grandes_lutz said:
The deed is done. I am now a subscriber.

So if there are any secrets that I should know, or any special places on the web site where only us lot can go, let me know :D

I think you're already here! Did you get a mug? I still use mine from the 21st anniversary.

gncxx said:
I think you're already here! Did you get a mug? I still use mine from the 21st anniversary.

No, but I do get a book. Harder to drink tea from, but maybe all the subscriber secrets are in it!

I wait with baited breath!

Why is it that Australian subscribers don't get a mug/book/mouse pad/yeti clone?

My sub's run out. Looking around at the weekend, Sainsbury's have stopped selling it and so have WHSmith's so I have no local supplier.

Ah well... it's saving me money I suppose.

Back