• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who To Play Crowley?

Inhabitant

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
OK - if there were to be a bio-pic made about Crowley (and why in God's name hasn't there been one already?), which contemporary actor would do justice to the role?

Ken Branagh (well, he fancies himself playing just about everything else . . .)

The only one I can think of who is menacing enough is Jack Nicholson, but he's hardly the right physical appearance (a bit old, too, and I don't know if he could handle the accent).

Carole

I think Richard E Grant has the same 'haunted' expression as many of the photos of Crowley seem to have. He'd have to chuck on some weight when the film got to the 'Buddha' period of Crowley's life! :D

What about Johnny Depp?

He may not look like good ol' Al, but he does seem to be able to pull off just about any role.....and since when has holywood let accuracy get in the way of a good yarn.........

If not him, then how's about Jack Black (High Fidelity, Shallow Hal) he'd fit in quite well......:D

--kiel--

First choice,Charles Grey... unfortunately now deceased, which leaves Stephen Berkoff.
Preferably directed by Ken Russell.

What about Al himself?
He must be around somewhere, ego intact.

Or Elvis.

A friend of mine suggests Robert de Niro as the mature Crowley, because of the dark eyes and bodily bulk (and box office draw?) Then again, maybe a total unknown/s would have more impact. Can't imagine how the "casting couch" would operate for such a role, though!;)

As Donald Pleasance is dead - he's obviously out, tho methinks he would have been ideal. (apart from the eye colouring)
Second thought was Jack Nicholson, but discounted him for the same reasons as Carole.
You're right kiel. I vote Johnny Depp.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Susan Bulmer said:
As Donald Pleasance is dead - he's obviously out, tho methinks he would have been ideal. (apart from the eye colouring)
Second thought was Jack Nicholson, but discounted him for the same reasons as Carole.
You're right kiel. I vote Johnny Depp.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Just thought i'd say Donald Pleasance looked like my grandad! hehe

Anthnoy Hopkins would be ideal as the older Crowley, or, as therion said, Steven Berkoff.

Inhabitant said:
OK - if there were to be a bio-pic made about Crowley (and why in God's name hasn't there been one already?), which contemporary actor would do justice to the role?
Yeah! Why hasn't there been one yet?!?

Albert Finney......as the mature Crowley of course.

There was some talk of casting Robin Williams (with an English accent? :eek!!!!: ) as Crowley in Terry Gilliams' ill-fated attempt to film the Gaiman/Pratchett comedy "Good Omens".

Williams was such a bad choice for that Crowley, and he'd be even worse as Big Al! :cross eye

I previously voted for Johnny Depp, but now that I've had more time to think about it I'm opting for Bruce Willis. There's something hypnotic about his stare which I think could be used to good effect.:)

Timothy Spall would be brilliant,as would Tony Hopkins.How about the guy who plays Fred Elliott in Coronation Street!!!:eek!!!!:

Timothy Spall would be brilliant,as would Tony Hopkins.How about the guy who plays Fred Elliott in Coronation Street!!!
All good choices, but surely Ozzy Osbourne as the old AC. and Gary Oldman as the younger?

Billy Zane as the younger, Anthony Hopkins as the older.

Though I have to agree that John Savident is a dead ringer!!!

Crowley Is Not Mocked!!!!

I thought it would be funny to present a quote from Crowley in the style of Fred Elliot, e.g. 'I say unto you, I am the Beast, I say, I say unto you, I am the Beast!'

.. but on seeking a suitable quote from Google I found that every window I tried to open from it froze and my screen is littered with the corpses of dead Googles and I'm scared and I'm very, very sorry and I want to say sorry to the parents of all the other MBers and it's all my fault............

Re: Crowley Is Not Mocked!!!! (much)

escargot said:
I thought it would be funny to present a quote from Crowley in the style of Fred Elliot, e.g. 'I say unto you, I am the Beast, I say, I say unto you, I am the Beast!'

ROFLOL!
You owe me a new keyboard BTW, as this one is suddenly full of coffee;)

I didn't raise anything as interesting as that. Having put 'Aleister Crowley quotes' into Google I got an impressive list of pages, each of which froze when it appeared. A reboot sorted it out.

Oh, and the goat's head stuck on the pole outside.

Fred Elliot it is, then.

'I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning. I say, found her a virgin in the morning.'

'I was asked to memorise what I did not understand; and, my memory being so good, it refused to be insulted in that manner. I say, it refused to be insulted in that manner.

'The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing. I say, vague, enormous and menacing.'

I'll get me coat.

<applause>

That's another keyboard you owe me, I say that's another keyboard you owe me:D

Keyboard? Keyboard? Dead?
A good vet'd have that on its feet in no time. I say, in no time.

Back