• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Who Wants Free Money?'

Another 'Treasure Hunt':

Gold bullion worth £10,000 buried on Folkestone beach

A gold-rush has started at a beach in Kent where a German artist buried £10,000 worth of bullion as part of an arts festival.
Michael Sailstorfer has hidden 30 24-carat gold bars on Folkestone's Outer Harbour beach.
More than 150 people started digging for gold when low tide exposed the beach. Organisers say prospectors can keep any bars they find.

The Folkestone Digs project is part of the town's triennial arts festival.
The event, which takes place every three years and runs from 30 August to 2 November, will also feature work by Yoko Ono.

Lewis Biggs, curator of Folkestone Triennial said: "There are 30 gold bars buried there, along with a lot of washers, so if you bring your metal detector you will find a lot of washers before you find any gold. :twisted:
"We will never know if the gold has been found or not."

He said it was hoped people digging on the beach would create a work of art by making sand castles at the same time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-28967848

There's a mystery here! Why does the Beeb have this under Surrey, when Folkestone is in Kent? ;) (There are no tidal beaches in Surrey, methinks!)

The gold bars won't be all that big if the total value is £10,000 - so, easy to miss.
The BBC article earlier showed some huge gold bars, but I think they must have realised that would be misleading. :)

Gold-diggers continue to search Folkestone beach

At least two pieces of gold have been found on a beach in Kent where a German artist has buried £10,000 worth of bullion as part of an arts festival.
Michael Sailstorfer has hidden thirty, 24-carat gold pieces on Folkestone's Outer Harbour beach.

About 300 gold-diggers headed to the beach on Thursday afternoon once low tide had exposed the sand, and many spent the day there on Friday.
Anyone finding the gold is allowed to keep it.
Organiser Claire Doherty said apparently four pieces of gold were found on Thursday, but only two of the finds were definite.
"I think people are keeping it a bit close to their chest," she said.

Responding to comments that the event could have been a hoax, she said: "It's absolutely for real.
"I held the gold pieces in my hand. I helped bury them.
"But it's a little bit like when you lose your watch or something when you're on the seaside. I know roughly where they were, but now who knows."

Lewis Biggs, curator of Folkestone Triennial, said along with the buried gold bars were a lot of washers as decoys, which would also be picked up by metal detectors.
"We will never know whether all the buried treasure has been found or not," he said.
"Its value as art might be more than its value as gold," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-28980212

Money from Heaven.

A man has been arrested over a viral stunt in which thousands of banknotes were thrown from a rooftop in one of Hong Kong’s poorest districts, causing a stampede on the street below.

Live videos appeared online on Saturday afternoon showing HK$100 (£10) bills raining down in the Sham Shui Po district, in “a scene like something out of a movie”, says The New Zealand Herald. As much as HK$200,000 (£20,000) is believed to have been scooped up by delighted bystanders.

Footage uploaded to a Facebook page promoting cryptocurrencies shows a man wearing a black hoodie, and with what appears to be a longbow over his shoulder, giving a speech in Cantonese on the street before the cash is thrown.

The man, whom The Times likens to a “Robin Hood” figure, announces that it is a “big day”, adding: “I hope everyone here will pay attention to this important event… I don’t know whether any of you will believe money can fall from the sky.”

https://www.theweek.co.uk/98555/rea...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

It's happened again, this time in an ex-mining town in County Durham that has fallen on hard times:
Free money news

If it is an act of charity, surely there are better ways to go about it? You can still be anonymous and give to charity. Naturally, some suspect a criminal motive, but the police say that doesn't add up. Anyway, if you want a bundle of tenners, you know where to go (for now).

It's happened again, this time in an ex-mining town in County Durham that has fallen on hard times:
Free money news

If it is an act of charity, surely there are better ways to go about it? You can still be anonymous and give to charity. Naturally, some suspect a criminal motive, but the police say that doesn't add up. Anyway, if you want a bundle of tenners, you know where to go (for now).
It doesn't mention whether the hander-inners got the money back after a certain period of time since the owner hasn't been found. I hope they did.

The KLF would have deliberately chosen the number 23, being, as they are, the KLF.

They have a flair for the ritualistic!

From i-D - August 1991.

FfA06pFWYAAMGNa.jpeg
FfA06pHXkAMt8pm.jpeg

Back