• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Was The First Person To Drink Cow's Milk?

carole said:
When I was a kid there used to be a stall on Stockton market (manned by two elderly ladies wearing white coats and trilbies, which to me was fascinating in itself) which sold tripe, cows' udders and pigs' trotters. My mum used to occasionaly buy trotters and tripe . . . oh, I can't go on, I feel sick:cross eye

Carole
You cant make a decent pork pie without the jelly obtained from pigs trotters, and as for disgusting local tastes, has anyone ever tried jellied eels, really puke inducing.:cross eye

And does anyone remember the pie & eel shops in Bermondsey in London?

I could never face eating the eels & ate the pie & mash instead, until the day I discovered that the green liqueur that was poured over the pies & which tasted so nice with the mash, was made from the water the eels were boiled in:blah:

what about medicine

Anyone wonder about the development of modern medical practice.

Injections.... Wonder who were the guinipigs for this.

Enema ? :eek:

I feel sorry for the first few patients

Depends what you mean by injections.

Catheters were inserted into blood vessels at least as early as the 1500's & blood transfusions attempted. the donor being bled into a funnel attached to the catheter.

Samuel Pepys saw a experimental transfusion animal blood into a human in the 1660's. The man survived but Pepys thought him a bit "cracked" AFTER the event!!!!

Hypodermic needles came in in about the mid 19th Century, their use during the American Civil War, lead to many war injured solders becoming drug addicts, as no one thought to reduce the dose given oraly when the same substance was injected!!!

carole said:
When I was a kid there used to be a stall on Stockton market (manned by two elderly ladies wearing white coats and trilbies, which to me was fascinating in itself) which sold tripe, cows' udders and pigs' trotters. My mum used to occasionaly buy trotters and tripe . . . oh, I can't go on, I feel sick:cross eye

Carole

Remember 'chitterlings'? The gloriously, or needlessly detailed, depending on your point of view, named 'pipe' or 'bag' chitterling, served with salt and vinegar... All those great british tradtions, gone...:(

8¬)

harlequin said:
Remember 'chitterlings'? The gloriously, or needlessly detailed, depending on your point of view, named 'pipe' or 'bag' chitterling, served with salt and vinegar... All those great british tradtions, gone...:(

8¬)

:cross eye

My mum sometimes used to buy a pigshead to make brawn with . . .

Carole

A bloke my boyfriend used to work with would habitually wander round the factory floor sucking the innards out of cows intestines or gnawing on a pigs trotter.

He could also do the times crossword in 2 minutes....hmmmmmmmmmm....

Here's some theories I know of in relation to a couple of things already mentioned.

Bread: bear in mind that the first bread was unleavened. Just get your grain, grind it up, and add water. SLap it on a fire-heated stone and you have rudementary (sp?) bread. Any good cook is going to try adding stuff for flavour. Eventually someone added something salty, and something containing yeast, or some other leavening agent.

Milk: this almost certainly came from nomadic peoples. They would follow herds of large animals around, since the animals are an excellent source of food, and also know the best places to go at different times of year. This lifestyle means the nomadic tribe's life is completely orientated around the herd, and over time the nomads would come to know the animals inside-out (literally). So they know that the large animals, almost certainly a hoofed animal, feed their young with milk. So do we. Udders on hoofed animals are pretty accessable to humans. Hmmmm....

Eventually someone found a really good place to live, but wanted the animals to stay instead of wandering off for the winter. So they fed them, sheltered them, tied them down or whateever it took to start the domestication process.

Dammit, why didn't I do an anthropology degree instead? ;)

The fermentation of alcohol is generally considered to be an accidental discovery; rotting fruit naturally ferments. Most likely, leavened bread was discovered the same way. Someone left unbaked dough in an oven. Yeast travels through the air and got into the dough. Voila, a baguette. Why people began making bread in the first place: whole grains are difficult to chew. The more fibrous ones are difficult to digest. All grain-eating cultures have methods to soften the grains: pulverizing, husking, soaking in liquid and cooking. The end product of these procedures is either bread or porridge.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_622052.html?menu=

The concept of traditional medicine is an interesting one when you consider "who was the first?" Who was the first person who, maybe in sheer desperation, decided to drink cow piss? Were the thousands of years of development that went into traditional Chinese medicine arrived at purely through trial and error?
As Wintermute suggests, we tend to regard our predecessors as inferior, when in fact science is discovering the active ingredient in some bizarre cures as highly significant. Has science ever taken traditional medicine as a starting point for some illnesses, or has it dismissed it out of hand and arrived at its own conclusions?

this is a very interesting thread and something i have often wondered about.
also who discovered which berries were and weren't posion?

And how about tomatoes, weren't they derived from the deadly nightshade berry?

On the beer > yeast > bread relationship, I'd just like to add that the Belgians (who know a thing, or two, about brewing) have beers called `lambiks' and `geuzes.'

Lambiks are `self yeasting' beers and I once visited a small brewery in Brussels to see how they were made. The wort, containing the grain and water, is cooked up and poured into huge, shallow, stainless steel pans in the loft of the brewery/warehouse, where the roof is made of special louvered shutters to let the air in. It's left over night and then drained off to ferment in vats.

Several weeks later, you have the sour, flat, alchoholic `lambik' beer. The Belgians usually add cherry, rasberry, or other berry juices, or syrups and CO2 before bottling it as a `geuze.'

These beers take you back to the days when they were made in a similiar way to wines. Brewer's yeast came later. It's quite possible people used such methods to store drinkable brews for long periods and mixed them with flour before making bread. Leave the dough to rise for a few hours before baking and you've got something quite edible.

Millk Got You?

And here I thought the cow's milk scam was all traceable to, or blameable on, Pat Boone.

Faggus said:
this is a very interesting thread and something i have often wondered about.
also who discovered which berries were and weren't posion?

Trial and error? Or notice was taken of which berries were avoided by birds and other creaures?

Carole

Bit of Neither

Probably it was both trial-and-error and observation of other amniles. When in the woods in USSA, one is advised to find and observe a racoon, as what it eats will be good for you to eat, too.

In the mad scramble to survive, back when we were fledgeling beasts who might well lose the race entirely with one mis-placed foot, or paw, we most likely pilfered and stole and grabbed and scavenged from nature and other animals, too. Ever seen dogs lapping at spilled cow's milk? Dogs are somewhat notorious for gakking down anything they find, then horking it back up if it disagrees. Often they'll give it a second chance, too.

In this way, we probably learned to exploit all manner of food sources. Also, being primates, we tend to fiddle. So we notice that the grain that got ground up by being under the alpha male's butt for a week, when mixed with water spilled by clumsy Tom, then heated on a rock, made a pasty substance that one could chew on, and it tasted Not Puke. So we fiddled, and discovered bread, etc.

A series of accidents and brilliant observations and leaps of imagination, all irreproducible, each step a whole episode for James Burke to explicate on a new set of CONNECTIONS.

situation:

"thunk! Right, that mushroom is poisonous"

just how many people died trying to find out what fungi were edible or not?

Oh, thanks to them by the way.

P.S. what do you call a mushroom that buys the drinks?
a fun guy (fun-gi) to be with........................i'll get me coat.

When in the woods in USSA, one is advised to find and observe a racoon, as what it eats will be good for you to eat, too.

Why not cut out the middleman and just eat the racoon?

Eating Racoon

Oh, you can eat the racoon, too, of course, but then you'll be full once, instead of every time you're hungry.

Forget the beer and bread, I always wonder who thought standing in the kitchen beating a bowl of egg whites for an eternity would produce something with such an interesting texture and volume.

And it's all relative anyways. I'm of Mexican descent and as a result can't drink milk but love to gnaw on tripe and pig/cow feet. The gelatin in between the knuckles sure is tasty.

Eat or Die, try before you die?, some very hungry people have gone before to produce the MASSIVE amount of recipes worldwide, what makes a monk, travel the world to get 15 different herbs and spices to infuse with a thick, strong brandy, and come up with Benedictine,,whoever and whyever ..CHEERS:p

Back