• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Was 'France' From Wild Talents?

Lolonois

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi everyone,

I've always wondered who was this France that Charles Fort mentionned in Wild Talents in the following paragraph :

Nov. 4, 1926 -- This is worth noting. Last night, I noted about the pictures,
because earlier in the evening, talking over psychic experiences with France and
others, I had mentioned falling pictures in our house.

Any guess?

i was about to answer anatole france, but he died in 1924...

I've had a quick look through lists of contemporary (1926) authors and writers but with no luck :(

In 1926 Fort was living at 39 Marchmont Street, London. We may sumise that 'France' is local to that area, unfortunatly London is and was a biiiiiig place.

A clue in the brief quote given is that Fort writes that the conversation with "France and the others" took place in earlier in the evening. Fort was seemingly a man of habit and it was his habit to work at the British Library during the day and take his wife, Anna to the cinema in the evening four or five times a week. When not with Anna at the cinema Fort would entertain himself by going to Hyde Park and listen to those at speakers corner with a 'congenial group of loungers to argue with.'

It could be with this group of congenial loungers and France that the earlier discussion on 'psychic experiences' took place.

A look through a history of speakers corner between say 1921 and 1929 may reveal clues; electoral roles for London may be another source of possible people. I'm sure that the fortean genealogists out there will have other hints and tips.

Keep us updated with any results. :D

Back