Who Works In A Haunted Location?

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've worked in a lot of prisons. Perhaps unsuprisingly there are very often a lot of accounts of experiences in certain locations and certain cells. Prisoners are a suprisingly superstitious lot.

One of my favourite and genuinely weirdest accounts was this. This was back from the days of "night-san". Cells didn't have toilets so at night you would have to ring a "night-san" bell and an officer would let you out to walk down the corridoor of cells and back again to return to your cell, obviously at night.

I was talking to a prisoner I knew well one day. Hard as nails but absolutely straight-up. Never played up. Honest, helpful, didn't use illicit drugs or booze and disliked those that did. Down to earth Londoner of Egyptian descent. In for major violence.

Anyway, he told me that one night he needed the loo so rang the bell, was let out by an officer who, trusting this man to lock himself back up in his cell when he was done, went back to the office. The man used the toilet and walked back down the corridor of cells. He passed a cell he knew to be empty and heard some scuffling sounds coming from it. Being the kind of guy who wanted to know everything that was going on on "his" wing, he slid the obeservation panel back and looked in.

At this point of him telling me the story he became visibly upset; shaking, I thought this very big, very violent, very confident man was going to break down in tears. He told me that when he looked through the observation window, into the cell, he saw a lion.

It wasn't what I was expecting to hear! What do you mean a lion? I asked...a lion. An adult male lion in the cell, not exactly pacing (too small) but turning in a circular manneer as much as it could as if trying to pace. I quizzed him a bit...like a ghost lion maybe? I was still confused. No, he said, a lion. Just a lion. A big maned, golden-furred lion. Huge head, huge paws. Guy was very unnerved and disturbed by it. He said he was more terrified than he had ever been in his life.

He said he watched it for maybe 10 seconds but it felt minutes. In the end he slammed the panel shut, legged it back to his cell, locked himself up and jumped into bed, blankets over his head.

I spoke with him a few weeks later about it. He had calmed down. And could now see something of a funny side. He admitted it had freaked him out totally, scared and confused him. But he didn't change his story one bit. He swore, on all manner of important things under the sun, that he opened that panel and inside that cell, that night, was a lion.

Mouldy13

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
I've worked in a lot of prisons. Perhaps unsuprisingly there are very often a lot of accounts of experiences in certain locations and certain cells. Prisoners are a suprisingly superstitious lot.
not massively surprising to me, given that prisons are repositories of violence, scarcely sublimated sexuality and seething resentment

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
At the place I've been working at for about 4 months, I'm getting a feeling it might be haunted. It's far from an old building so I'm going to do a bit of local research. The experiences I'm having are something suddenly rushing past close to me in my peripheral vision, temperature changes and mood changes. To argue against this, I'm always on my own in the evenings, naturally tired at the end of a shift and there's lots of shiny steel and glass through a doorway that could be the cause of a combination of factors. But it just feels haunted compared to locations reported to be haunted that I've visited and felt the same way about with the same feelings and similar experiences. Tonight I turned to a doorway and a bloke was stood next to entrance about 20ft away facing me and then he suddenly wasn't .. large built and with sandy blonde or ginger hair but I only got a quick flash vision. I've previously seen a young looking man quickly walk from left to right in the customer area through that doorway a couple of times and have often thought I could hear someone talking inside my small shop when I've been just outside the back door having a smoke, I've rushed back in thinking a customer has come in but nobody has. That's the most common one I get but then I'm tired and had a stroke May of last year so have to be sceptical that the place is haunted.

Perhaps misidentification happens in work places like pubs and hospitals and other places people work long hours mainly because they're tired or perhaps when they're tired, that's precisely why they are more open to receive genuine paranormal experiences?.

Dwain Pipe

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
That’s a nice little tale. I think that you make a very valid point re tiredness playing tricks with you. Many years ago I worked in an insurance brokers (remember them?) and one evening I was alone in the shop cashing up. The door was locked and the other staff had left for the day. As I was sorting the float for the following day, I happened to move around to put the till back on the counter....and I saw a bloke stood at the other side of the counter staring at me. With the blink of an eye ‘he’d’ vanished! The interesting thing was, he slightly resembled a particularly difficult customer who I’d been dealing with earlier in the day. I didn’t suspect then, or now, that it was anything remotely paranormal. I put it down to having worked a 12 hour shift, but it’s stayed with me all these years nonetheless.