• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spooked On The Job: Your Haunted Workplaces

Techy used to work in a very haunted building. He personally saw wet dog pawprints apparently leading into a lift when there were no people (apart from the other witness, a security guard) and certainly no dogs.

He has been followed along corridors by people who've disappeared and has found his way blocked in an underground passage by a big heavy goods cart that couldn't have got there without him hearing it.

Some of it might still be on here somewhere.

Techy used to work in a very haunted building. He personally saw wet dog pawprints apparently leading into a lift when there were no people (apart from the other witness, a security guard) and certainly no dogs.

He has been followed along corridors by people who've disappeared and has found his way blocked in an underground passage by a big heavy goods cart that couldn't have got there without him hearing it.

There must be a book in security guards' ghostly experiences... I can remember reading on a ghost thread on another forum, a few years back, (forget where) about someone who worked as a security guard, somewhere in London and he had a very scary time of it. If there are more ghosts at night... they'd see it all, presumably.

My first job was in an R&D centre backed onto an old manor house and while I took stories of figures on the stairs with a pinch of salt (given the tellers) the groundskeeper told me in complete seriousness (I knew him well as I used the grounds as a rough shoot and saw a lot of him), that there were many occasions when he'd gone around the upper floors in the old house turning out lights, only to find them back on when he'd left the building. He also said on many occasions his dog (a spaniel) would refuse to accompany him onto the second and third floors. The third floor was deathly quiet at the best of times as I recall. I never had 'an experience' and I used to shoot well into the dusk and darkness, if the ghost haunted the grounds, I never experienced it.

Hearsay all, of course.

There must be a book in security guards' ghostly experiences... I can remember reading on a ghost thread on another forum, a few years back, (forget where) about someone who worked as a security guard, somewhere in London and he had a very scary time of it. If there are more ghosts at night... they'd see it all, presumably.

A relation of mine worked in Security and was sent to guard a care home that was standing empty before demolition.

She's a tiny thing, barely five feet tall, but she had no fear even though several beefy male guards had spent one night there and been spooked enough to refuse to go back!

There were ghostly sights and sounds aplenty which she laughed off.

I've mentioned before somewhere on this site the 'haunted' Victorian hotel I used to live and work in .. fate's brought me back again to work duties in the same building over ten years later *dramatic music!!* ... and absolutely nobody from the new staff so far thinks the place is haunted .. to be fair, I don't want to look like a prick by running around asking everyone .. I've half heatedly mentioned it in passing in humour to random waitresses so as to not look like a total weirdo .. nothing .. I have to conclude I was just over tired back then and call it a day. If anything cool happens again I'll report it in this thread, or it's just me being over tired again or I was right all along and the random psychic type woman who told me the phantom woman I saw (and a friend saw without me telling him about it through an outer window) following me around sometimes is actually real. I'm thinking at the moment it was just in my imagination.

No one believes n ghosts until they actually experience one. Some still don't calling them hallucinations. Those that do believe in ghosts or something similar, most there of, are not afraid of them. Some, who don't believe in ghosts, are scared to death by them. They are mostly an unexplained enigma.

No one believes n ghosts until they actually experience one. Some still don't calling them hallucinations. Those that do believe in ghosts or something similar, most there of, are not afraid of them. Some, who don't believe in ghosts, are scared to death by them. They are mostly an unexplained enigma.
That's the thing Brig ... I wasn't scared and wasn't even thinking about ghosts .. I was more hooked on hoping that the chef had left enough slices of roast beef in the work's fridge after everyone else had gone home so I could nick some without getting caught doing it .. I told Kerry and Marnie about some of my over imaginations .. Marnie told me about customers having problems about room 10 .. dead ghost woman stuff, one customer booked out in a hurry, his boss called back telling her that he'd had a woman leaning over him in his bed apparently (she told me but she could have been 'playing along' I suppose) .. either way, I didn't wank on about this stuff because I was in charge of the place as the night porter and wanted to keep it that way without stupid ghost stories .. my mate came in one night, took a test photo on his new mobile, told me he'd taken a picture of a shadow shape in the corner of my bar but had accidentally erased it so I didn't give that any other thought .. a few weeks or so later, he was stood outside the building waiting for me to let him in to my night porter flat through the outside staff entrance part and said he'd seen the shadow of a woman following me up the stairs, he was watching me through some windows.. again I sort of remembered his earlier phone photo claim but didn't really care ..

One night, when the place was deserted, I was sat in front of a hatch finishing off this and that for my close down duties when I heard two sounds like foot steps on the hard tile floors after I'd completely checked and locked down the place .. again not proof of anything. Old buildings make weird sounds when they're cooling down ..

Kerry phoned my flat (that was connected to the hotel) to tell me that Haunted Norfolk were at reception and were hoping to talk to me .. they were hoping to commission the place to do a tour that they could charge punters for, Kerry told them about my 'stuff' ... I gave them an unofficial tour on the sly because my boss wanted no part of it. Room 10 was haunted by a dead woman, the stair case was haunted by another woman who'd once fallen down it but hadn't died, our upstairs snooker table room had once been a tapestry room apparently, there was once a bell boy called Billy who'd been the rock (Princess Diana style) to perhaps one of these many women mentioned .. apparently one of these women was/were drawn to me because I reminded her/them of Billy ...

At the end of this unsanctioned tour, Haunted Norfolk gathered and mingled with the 'normals' in the bar seating area .. the lady in charge that evening correctly pointed out that a lightbulb had popped over their table although the electrics then were so bad, we had a deep plastic basket just to contain replacement lightbulbs ...

I'm being cynical on purpose, the last bit though still has me baffled ... at the end of a bar shift I saw a woman walk from right to left in front of my direct vision .. she was the shape of a woman and moved completely naturally as a woman except she wasn't there, she was scissors used to cut out what I was viewing and so a dense and non existent blackness form .. I dashed around to cut her off because I assumed it was my boss Vannessa doing some kind of late night check .. there was no physical place that the woman I watched completely in front of my eyes could have dissipated ...

Last edited:
I have had a few ghostly experiences, including the full body apparition very close to me experience - verified by someone else who saw the same thing, and told me years later and had no way of knowing my story. And yet I struggle to believe anyone else's ghost stories. And I struggle with that hard-wired cynicism, as well. There are people I know who have also had unaccountable experiences and I know them well enough to utterly believe them but it is harder when it is not someone you know well.

There are people I know who have also had unaccountable experiences and I know them well enough to utterly believe them but it is harder when it is not someone you know well.
The thing I try to remember is that people can absolutely believe what they saw, but that can't be taken as hard evidence that what they saw was actually there.

Both interpretation of phenomena and the affect on memory of both expectation, modification upon recall and consolidation, affects all of us to a great or lesser extent. None of this means someone didn't see a ghost, but neither does it mean they actually saw one. It's tricky. It's why it's a Fortean thing I'd like to solve. Ghosts seem to me to be a collision of top-down processing, expectations, beliefs, the social representation of what is expected to be seen and how it looks in a place, and finally, memory.

It's less of a 'stone tape' mechanism to me and more of a 'stone amplification chamber'. And it needn't be stone.

My wife firmly believes there is a scientific recording of strong emotions that can be naturally replayed under the right conditions. I can see value to this belief but I have run into situations where that just won't fit. I thought ghosts were made up until my wife and I moved into a very strange house close to the Tygart river in West Virginia. That place convinced us both that strangeness exists whether it be ghosts or something else.

My wife firmly believes there is a scientific recording of strong emotions that can be naturally replayed under the right conditions. I can see value to this belief but I have run into situations where that just won't fit. I thought ghosts were made up until my wife and I moved into a very strange house close to the Tygart river in West Virginia. That place convinced us both that strangeness exists whether it be ghosts or something else.

We'll need more details, please. :)

I think I discussed this topic earlier in the Haunted places in my hometown forum. I have had the fortune (or misfortune) of living in two different houses that each displayed forms of possible paranormal situations. The house on the Tygart river in West Virginia had a jaded past and I would classify the place as decidedly evil. The house we presently live in can be downright creepy at times but does not come across as evil. We have lived in several other houses, over the years, that did not display anything paranormal. The house on the river was originally owned as a party retreat by a minor mafia don. Its rather late, at the present, so I'll go more into the story of the place tomorrow.

I'm a tall and large framed man. I work in an office building late in the evening since I work a shift. At night the common area lights are turned down low. Last week I took one of the non-main stairs down to ground level to leave, the stairs is in the middle of the hall instead of being the main stair at the end of the hall. So I appeared from the stairs in the middle of the hall on the ground floor...

...and promptly scared the stuffing out of the cleaning person since I suddenly appeared right in front of her. She must have thought I was either a ghost or a murderer!

Last edited:
I don't know if this counts as a workplace, exactly, but since my brother used me as off-the-books child labor, perhaps it does...

Back in the 80's, my brother was the manager of a movie theater. It was a huge old building, built during the age of the silent movie palace. I spent a good chunk of my childhood there - bro would put me to work cleaning the auditoriums between shows and making popcorn at the concession stand. The rest of the time I'd roam the place, which was full of nooks and crannies. It was a bit maze-like, so that was pretty fun. I was quite fond of the place.

Probably all theaters have a creepy feeling after hours. When my cousins would visit, we'd listen to what my cousin N. called "theater echoes" - those sort of faint, disembodied voices you hear in a place like that. I suppose it's the acoustics that cause it, I liked to imagine it's some sort of trapped sound that just bounces around for years and years. Anyway, that's probably not too unusual in a place like that, but it did add to the atmosphere.

Sometimes I'd get the distinct feeling I was being watched, but I put that down to the cranky old projectionist - he'd been working there since the 1920's and I was forbidden to go into his booth (which was covered in nudie pictures the times I did sneak a look!) But some other things weren't so easy to pass off.

One was the thing we called "the bat" It wasn't a real bat (though occasionally one got in) because it would have to have been huge, able to move at warp speed and disappear from even an enclosed space instantly. The thing we would see was a large black shape like a wing that would appear in the corner of our eye. Turn to look at it, and it would appear in the corner of our other eye. I recall sitting on the stairs one day for ages, intently watching the thing flit through my peripheral vision - I was determined to look at it properly, you understand. But no luck.

This wasn't scary at all, just weird, and I thought it was just me until one day the staff were standing around and started talking about it - same large black shape, same peripheral flitting.

Then there were some nights, at 12 or 1 in the morning, my brother would be up in the offices finishing the day's paperwork when we'd hear distinctly human sounding footsteps slowly pacing the roof of the building. I recall bro saying that this happened all the time, and not being especially concerned about it. The roof wasn't flat though, so it couldn't have just been someone taking a stroll up there.

What was somewhat scarier was the basement. That's where the marquee letters were kept, and we'd have to go down there late at night when it was time to change the sign. The basement had a dirt floor and was always cold. Some of the older staff members attributed any haunting activities to this place, because years back one of the workers, a janitor who'd been allowed to sleep there, had died of a heart attack. I tried to stay away from there, not the least because the basement door was inside the men's restroom - the horror stories practically write themselves. :eek:

But the thing that really, truly convinced me the place was haunted were the candy machines. For decades, there'd been a couple of candy machines in the lobby, selling gumballs or candied peanuts for a nickel. Probably these machines has been used thousands of times over the years, but while my brother was working there, they'd decided to remove them. Still, after hours when everything was quiet, you could still hear them loud and clear - non-existent coin going into the slot, turn of the invisible crank, immaterial candy rattling down the chute. Over and over, clear as a bell. Everyone who worked there knew the sound.

This is probably the most harmless and innocent of all ghostly manifestations, but very convincing to me. Someone on the forum recently mentioned hearing something similar at their workplace, which brought it to mind.

Looking back, I think this place wasn't seriously frightening because any hauntings were strictly of the Stone Tape variety.

Edit - oh, lawkes, I just looked it up and found an article claiming the theater is haunted - but blaming all the haunting on the ghost of the pervy projectionist! Silly. They should have asked me. Although I'm sure his shade is still hanging around.

Last edited:
I don't know if this counts as a workplace, exactly, but since my brother used me as off-the-books child labor, perhaps it does...

Back in the 80's, my brother was the manager of a movie theater. It was a huge old building, built during the age of the silent movie palace. I spent a good chunk of my childhood there - bro would put me to work cleaning the auditoriums between shows and making popcorn at the concession stand. The rest of the time I'd roam the place, which was full of nooks and crannies. It was a bit maze-like, so that was pretty fun. I was quite fond of the place.

Probably all theaters have a creepy feeling after hours. When my cousins would visit, we'd listen to what my cousin N. called "theater echoes" - those sort of faint, disembodied voices you hear in a place like that. I suppose it's the acoustics that cause it, I like imagine it's some sort of trapped sound that just bounces around for years and years. Anyway, that's probably not too unusual in a place like that, but it did add to the atmosphere.

Sometimes I'd get the distinct feeling I was being watched, but I put that down to the cranky old projectionist - he'd been working there since the 1920's and I was forbidden to go into his booth (which was covered in nudie pictures the times I did sneak a look!) But some other things weren't so easy to pass off.

One was the thing we called "the bat" It wasn't a real bat (though occasionally one got in) because it would have to have been huge, able to move at warp speed and disappear from even an enclosed space instantly. The thing we would see was a large black shape like a wing that would appear in the corner of our eye. Turn to look at it, and it would appear in the corner of our other eye. I recall sitting on the stairs one day for ages, intently watching the thing flit through my peripheral vision - I was determined to look at it properly, you understand. But no luck.

This wasn't at all scary at all, just weird, and I thought it was just me until one day the staff were standing around and started talking about it - same large black shape, same peripheral flitting.

Then there were some nights, at 12 or 1 in the morning, my brother would be up in the offices finishing the day's paperwork when we'd hear distinctly human sounding footsteps slowly pacing the roof of the building. I recall bro saying that this happened all the time, and not being especially concerned about it. The roof wasn't flat though, so it couldn't have just been someone taking a stroll up there.

What was somewhat scarier was the basement. That's where the marquee letters were kept, and we'd have to go down there late at night when it was time to change the sign. The basement had a dirt floor and was always cold. Some of the older staff members attributed any haunting activities to this place, because years back one of the workers, a janitor who'd been allowed to sleep there, had died of a heart attack. I tried to stay away from there, not the least because the basement door was inside the men's restroom - the horror stories practically write themselves. :eek:

But the thing that really, truly convinced me the place was haunted were the candy machines. For decades, there'd been a couple of candy machines in the lobby, selling gumballs or candied peanuts for a nickel. Probably these machines has been used thousands of times over the years, but while my brother was working there, they'd decided to remove them. Still, after hours when everything was quiet, you could still hear them loud and clear - non-existent coin going into the slot, turn of the invisible crank, immaterial candy rattling down the chute. Over and over, cleat as a bell. Everyone who worked there knew the sound.

This is probably the most harmless and innocent of all ghostly manifestations, but very convincing to me! Someone on the forum recently mentioned hearing something similar at their workplace, which brought it to mind.

Looking back, I think this place wasn't seriously frightening because any hauntings were strictly of the Stone Tape variety.

Edit - oh, lawkes, I just looked it up and found an article claiming the theater is haunted - but blaming all the haunting on the ghost of the pervy projectionist! Silly. They should have asked me! Although I'm sure his shade is still hanging around.

:eek:

I found a couple of pictures of the theater, though not before it underwent extensive renovations. In my day, there were two screens, one upstairs and one down, but now there's only one auditorium with a stage. Still, this was the main theater, which looks similar to the way it did back then -
TheTheater.jpg

And most happily, there was a picture of the basement -
586c2f175450d.image (2).jpg

(I've edited a person out of the photo - I doubt they'd want a role in this story anyway.)

Last edited:
About 40 years ago, when I taught high school in Canton, Ohio; I had a student who was dedicated to restoration of old buildings. He wrangled his way into the old (at that time closed down, movie house that was located right in downtown Canton. He talked the owners of the historic relic into allowing him to go in and touch up paint and fix plaster. The Palace, was its name and I'm hoping it is still there in one piece. The Palace was built in the 1800's for vaudeville and similar acts. It had a huge stage and bright red velvet curtains. There was an orchestra pit around the foot of the stage. It sported box seats in very elaborately decorated plaster with high back red velvet covered upolstry. A huge domed ceiling was used to portray sky and stars with moving white wisps of clouds. The mechanics still worked when we worked there. Naturally we couldn't resist trying them out. We three worked in that old movie house a couple days a week one summer. We would have worked there longer but the owner decided to try to reopen the Palace. It was open when I moved to a new job in Ohio. It may still be open. I hope so. They were getting some pretty good talent at the time and they ran first run movies at other times. I wish I could say we had ghostly experiences in the old movie house but nothing more menacing than an occasional bat broke into our work. My student did find numerous old film clippings (When a film broke, they cut off a few frames and respliced it) throwing the frames into a trash box which he found. Clips from films as old as the 1950's. We were volunteers so we had to work in subdued light which should have been perfect for spookiness, but even with superb accoustics we met no unexplained sounds. If you are ever in Canton, Ohio, see if the Palace is still there. It would be worth the price of a ticket to see a fancy movie house from the late 1800's.

I did say would try to do a synopsis of the house on the river. This was some time ago; I'm thinking 1970. My wife and I were newly married and I had taken a job at the local college (now university). We had a hard time finding anything to rent or buy but were told about this really neat house that sat next to the Tygart river. The landlady was really strange but the house was nice and we rented it. Weird stuff was constantly happening. We sat at the end of a dirt and gravel road. We had one neighbor who were elderly and the house was in sight but not close. We would frequently hear tires on gravel and thinking we had company we would look out the door or window and see nothing that could have made the sound. Things in the house were disappearing only to show up again in some unlikely place. We had a small dog named Pepper and I'm sorry to say she got the blame. There were just the two of us and a white Persian cat and our schnauzer dog. So we started fastening the cat in a small room near the well at night and we fastened the dog in the kitchen near the kitchen sink. BTW our cat and dog got along great. One night we heard a terrible commotion in the kitchen; sprang out of bed to see what was the matter. Ran to the kitchen, the fausets were turned on full force and Pepper was stuggling to get away from the sink. No there was no way she could have turned on both hot and cold water. After that she slept in our room on her own dog bed. But the dog was paniced by something. My mother came to stay a week while my dad had tests ran at the university hospital. She stayed one night and moved to a motel. The guest room was right next to the master bed room. We heard nothing but my mother swore someone or something was pounding on the outside wall with some heavy object. She said the room would get very chilly than suddenly get hot. Even though the windows in the bedroom were closed the curtains would stand straight out like a strong wind was blowing them, So much for saving any money. We were right next room and we experienced none of that. One night my wife woke me saying "Do you see that? Do you see that?" I had been sound asleep so all I remember noticing was a fading light at the foot of the bed. My wife continued "There was a woman with long blond hair brushing it in front of a vanity at the foot of our bed." "There is no vanity at the foot of our bed." I replied. "I know it but she was there and so was the vanity; didn't you see it?" "No, I said, I just saw a fading light, I thought you were using the flash light." To top this episode off when I went to the college faulty lounge the next day I was telling a couple of my colleges about some of our experiences, I noticed a dignified little old lady just kept getting closer and closer and when she got as close as she could without unseating someone else one of the other professor's said,"Oh I'd like to introduce you to our local ghost expert, Doctor Ruth Ann Music. Dr. Music had written numerous books on ghosts and hauntings. She was the one who filled me in on the mafia background of the house. "Your wife saw Paul's girl friend" He had been trying to get a divorce from his wife (our landlady)for years. He finally made her an offer she couldn't refuse". When the divorce was finalized the two love birds went out to do the town met with a horrible accident and both were killed."
I walked into the house one evening after being at a faculty meeting and I noticed a rather large dark man standing by the huge fireplace in our common room) the party room actually. I automatically greeted him, assuming he was there to see me. Then he simply wasn't there anymore. Later I saw pictures of Paul and I'm very certain that is who I thought I saw. My walks in from a small room we used for a den and says "Who are you talking to?" I told her what I saw but by that time neither of us doubted the other. Those are the main things I remember, it has been a very long time ago. There were numerous minor things, but I'd have to go back find them. I have it written out in a journal that I have kept. It's in my library someplace. If you have any questions I would try a answer them.

Probably these machines has been used thousands of times over the years, but while my brother was working there, they'd decided to remove them. Still, after hours when everything was quiet, you could still hear them loud and clear - non-existent coin going into the slot, turn of the invisible crank, immaterial candy rattling down the chute. Over and over, clear as a bell. Everyone who worked there knew the sound.GhostAlthough I'm sure his shade is still hanging around.
Ghosts of candy! Is this the best Trick for Trick or treat ever? Thanks!

I worked in thrift shop for one and a half year. We had a stereo with a CD player in the backroom where we played some background music in the store. Once in a while we experienced it started playing by itself and by a certain artist. Never happened while we were near the stereo. Do not remember the artist or song. Oh it's the ghost again we said to each other. Never experienced any other paranormal activities in the shop.

A shop of ours was once the town's bakery. The shop where the bread was sold is where you now enter and you you go up 5 stairs into what was their home, now the rest of our store.
We've had it for almost 8 years and from day 1 we've always been aware of a presence within, certainly not sinister, but playful and with a sense of humour.
We have timber floorboards in the building and you can hear when a customer is walking about in one of the upper rooms. However, when we're closed, we often hear footsteps walking about, loud and distinct. We also sell greeting cards for all occasions numbering in the hundreds. These are all on acrylic racks that run along portions of walls. At the end of each day and during quiet periods, we tidy them up after customers have rifled though them, often mixing them up. Particularly at the end of the day, again when the doors are closed and it's only staff, or me alone, the cards are straightened. You can often then walk into another room, just for a moment or two and walk back to the card area to find the ones you've just straightened all skewiff. This can happen 2 or 3 times until you tell it firmly to stop, and it does.
There is also a particular doorway that when you stand in it, a number of people have reported a tugging on their shirt or dress. I have felt this once myself and was convinced there was someone behind me.
We never feel uncomfortable when it's about and it seems to have periods when it's more active, although with no pattern that we've noticed so far.

We sense it's a male, and suspect it was the original baker himself. A short and stout man by reputation who is now long dead. Polish, a drinker of some repute if town legend is true. He baked his breads and pastries drunk and therefore his loaves where uneven and his cream buns (which many old enough still remember), were the size of your head. He didn't die in the building, though not far away, after having fallen down some stairs whilst drunk, breaking his neck in the process.
That being said, he was married and he and his wife raised 7 children there, some which have now passed. I've met one of the daughters a few years back and she told me that she still has one sister and brother remaining.
It could be any of them, or none or something along the lines of what you suggest. Whatever/whoever it is, it's playful and likes a prank.

Where I work several of my colleagues have been 'spooked'(including myself)by a shadowy presence that appears as if to imitate a looming shadow and often concludes by 'goosing' the unfortunate recipient.
My own encounter didn't involve this but did involve a door bursting open (when no wind was present!)and then a looming shadow arcing away...!!

A shop of ours was once the town's bakery. The shop where the bread was sold is where you now enter and you you go up 5 stairs into what was their home, now the rest of our store.
We've had it for almost 8 years and from day 1 we've always been aware of a presence within, certainly not sinister, but playful and with a sense of humour.
We have timber floorboards in the building and you can hear when a customer is walking about in one of the upper rooms. However, when we're closed, we often hear footsteps walking about, loud and distinct. We also sell greeting cards for all occasions numbering in the hundreds. These are all on acrylic racks that run along portions of walls. At the end of each day and during quiet periods, we tidy them up after customers have rifled though them, often mixing them up. Particularly at the end of the day, again when the doors are closed and it's only staff, or me alone, the cards are straightened. You can often then walk into another room, just for a moment or two and walk back to the card area to find the ones you've just straightened all skewiff. This can happen 2 or 3 times until you tell it firmly to stop, and it does.
There is also a particular doorway that when you stand in it, a number of people have reported a tugging on their shirt or dress. I have felt this once myself and was convinced there was someone behind me.
We never feel uncomfortable when it's about and it seems to have periods when it's more active, although with no pattern that we've noticed so far.
Sounds very similar to the Catmose Fish Bar and Bistro in Oakham where I lived in '97 .. that place was an ex bakery and the experiences you've described that we all felt are almost identical. An old man used to work for us who'd worked in the same building as a lad when it was a bakery, he refused to go in one of the top rooms.

The stories I'm about to relay are secondhand, though I trust the people who've told them to me...

My husband manages a shop these days, which seems to be home to an intriguing amount of weirdness. The first time he noticed anything odd was last year, when he was taking a break outside. He was standing about a foot away from the wall when he distinctly heard a voice behind him give a cheerful "howdy!" But there was no one nearby and certainly no one behind him. A week later, in the same spot, he heard a woman's voice greet him by name. Again, there was no one around.

Little incidents would happen inside the store - things would disappear and reappear in a different spot, though he never determined if this was in any way paranormal. One morning though, he came in and found a large water filter (a heavy metal pitcher of sorts) lying in the middle of the floor. No one had ever seen it before and had no idea here it had come from. He meant to check the store's CCTV recordings to see what had happened but unfortunately forgot. (The recordings are automatically deleted after a couple of days. )

One day not too long after that, he was reviewing some overnight footage and saw something odd in the back room where the cleaning supplies are kept. There Is one of those swinging arm hooks attached to the wall - it's fairly stiff and doesn't move too easily, but on the video, the hook could be seen moving slowly away from the wall, knocking over the mop that was propped next to it. I saw this video myself, and we both checked to see if there were any air vents or anything that might have caused it to move, but we could find nothing.

Most intriguing to me are the things that happened after the burglary mentioned here: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-unwhinge-thread.59992/page-62#post-1832628

Because of the damage to the shop, the burglar alarm was not functional for almost 2 weeks, so someone had to keep watch in the shop overnight until it could be fixed. They did this singly or in pairs. Apparently, the middle of the night is when things really kicked up in the shop.
Things falling for no good reason, random cold spots, and voices - lots and lots of voices.

One night when husband was staying there with the assistant manager, they both heard what sounded like a group of people talking inside the shop - a few men's voices and at least one woman - which suddenly went dead silent when they went to look for the source. There was obviously no one else inside or outside, and there are no other shops or houses within hearing distance, so it didn't come from some other place.

Another night, both my husband and the assistant manager heard a loud shout from within the store - it even echoed a bit. Again there was no one there. They checked the CCTV recording and could not hear the shout, but did hear themselves responding to it - they both could be heard exclaiming "what was that!" and rushing off to search the place.

Other times faint voices and sounds could be made out on the video, however.

Since then, the disembodied woman's voice has greeted husband by name several times when he arrived at the empty store first thing in the morning. Other workers have reported hearing their names as well.

I know this video I'm linking doesn't prove anything, things fall for various reasons, but it's interesting that the video became pixilated just before this cooler plummets off the stack - so pixilated it's hard to even tell what it is. It's not normally that way at all -
(The assistant. manager filmed this off the monitor with his phone before it could be deleted.)

It's just another example in what appears to be a pattern of (luckily) non-scary benign weirdness.

Back