• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spooked On The Job: Your Haunted Workplaces

Seems unlikely!

In general, the french are very cautious about this kind of thing (they even have the concept of "preventive archeological research"), but it's up to the workers an their supervisors to report something that they stumbled upon...

They are always finding old bombs our neck of the woods. We are near London so we got them dumped on us if they wanted to off load and go back. Also but then there were factories and air fields which were targets in their own rights.

I think we need to find one lodged in our building that’s perfectly safe unless they knock it down. I only found out the other day it was damaged during the war. I do know there are some bombs that are left were they have embedded as it’s safest.

On another Fortean note one of my colleagues that has just left said she had a premonition that we were all going to be made redundant and that’s why she got out.

There has been an interesting new phenomenon at my OH's shop - they call her "the cooler lady." By now, most of the staff has seen her. She's a woman about 5 feet two inches tall, middle-aged, with greyish hair. She walks in like any other customer and walks back to the cooler where the drinks are kept, but never returns. The other night, the workers were talking about how they'd all waited for her, even going to look for her eventually, but finding no one there.

This happened to the newest staff member just recently. We went to look at the security video, which showed the new worker looking up and acknowledging someone as if they'd just come in, but on the video there was no one else there.

This has probably been going on a while, but OH says they first began mentioning this last spring.

There has been an interesting new phenomenon at my OH's shop - they call her "the cooler lady." By now, most of the staff has seen her. She's a woman about 5 feet two inches tall, middle-aged, with greyish hair. She walks in like any other customer and walks back to the cooler where the drinks are kept, but never returns. The other night, the workers were talking about how they'd all waited for her, even going to look for her eventually, but finding no one there.

This happened to the newest staff member just recently. We went to look at the security video, which showed the new worker looking up and acknowledging someone as if they'd just come in, but on the video there was no one else there.

This has probably been going on a while, but OH says they first began mentioning this last spring.
One of your regular customers who has died?

One of your regular customers who has died?
Perhaps, but no one has recognized her yet. Maybe she's from the time before the current staff was working there?
That's a good one! Are the drinks alcoholic, out of interest? Or is it a ghost who likes a fizzy drink? Reminds me of the famous mistranslation of a Pepsi slogan in China: "Come alive with Pepsi" became "Pepsi makes your relatives return from the dead".
:rollingw:
Could be either. Perhaps the Pepsi slogan was true after all.

Imagine living a whole life and the only bit you get to re-enact on a loop is walking to a drinks machine...

Imagine having a whole afterlife and the only bit that requires you to slip back to our plane of existence is to get a particular refreshment they don't stock on "the other side."

I work in a cafe that's in an old waiting room at a railway station.
I was opening up one morning when I saw a gentleman come in,walk towards the toilets,I went round the corner to give him the key (they are locked usually and regular customers know to just ask for the key,there is a notice on the door saying to just ask) but there was none there - yes the door was locked and there was no way he could have left the building without passing me.

Another morning,(alone again)I saw someone come in,walk past the fireplace towards the two settees in the corner,I popped my head round the corner of the kitchen and asked what could I get him - no reply as there was no one there,yet I'd clearly seen a smartly dressed man walk past. Reading about the history of the station later that day,it describes how the railway workers always dressed very smartly except for the firemen and those in the ''dirty'' jobs

A week or two later (I hadn't mentioned any of this to anyone nor posted it anywhere online) one of my friends came in for a coffee and a chat,when I saw the same guy by the fireplace - I didn't react or say anything so as not to worry her,she then asked me had I noticed anyone stood by the fireplace as she sensed someone was around.

I work in a cafe that's in an old waiting room at a railway station.
I was opening up one morning when I saw a gentleman come in,walk towards the toilets,I went round the corner to give him the key (they are locked usually and regular customers know to just ask for the key,there is a notice on the door saying to just ask) but there was none there - yes the door was locked and there was no way he could have left the building without passing me.

Another morning,(alone again)I saw someone come in,walk past the fireplace towards the two settees in the corner,I popped my head round the corner of the kitchen and asked what could I get him - no reply as there was no one there,yet I'd clearly seen a smartly dressed man walk past. Reading about the history of the station later that day,it describes how the railway workers always dressed very smartly except for the firemen and those in the ''dirty'' jobs

A week or two later (I hadn't mentioned any of this to anyone nor posted it anywhere online) one of my friends came in for a coffee and a chat,when I saw the same guy by the fireplace - I didn't react or say anything so as not to worry her,she then asked me had I noticed anyone stood by the fireplace as she sensed someone was around.
Have you considered asking for a CCTV camera to be installed? ... perhaps it would be best not to tell them it's to film ghosts.

It sounds ideal for one of your ghost hunting excursions!
I don't do then anymore sadly .. they were only happening on weekend evenings which was when I'm busiest at work .. they're looking for new team members though if anyone here's interested?

Ah, that's a pity, you were so enthusiastic about them. You could always suggest this café to them if you still see the hunters.

I don't do then anymore sadly .. they were only happening on weekend evenings which was when I'm busiest at work .. they're looking for new team members though if anyone here's interested?
Do they stray far from Comer or are all Hauntings connected by the odd smell of Crab?

Do they stray far from Comer or are all Hauntings connected by the odd smell of Crab?
Norfolk, Suffolk and anywhere else that ends in olk ,, the last one was in Pontefract ... if you drive and you're interested, send me a pm.

Norfolk, Suffolk and anywhere else that ends in olk ,, the last one was in Pontefract ... if you drive and you're interested, send me a pm.
It is something I would love to do but time would not allow me to get too involved.

As long as it was the coffee machine it would be all right with me. Cream and sugar please.

Yeah, pretty sure that's going to be my fate. :p

All this has made me think about what ghosts really are. I doubt the shop is really that full of deceased shoppers and employees, so what's going on, exactly? Are they energy of a sort? Memories? A crossing over of dimensions? Rather than being clarified, things have just grown more mysterious.

In the 1960’s my wife’s Father was landlord of a pub called ‘Thomas’s’ in York. On his first night there after locking up and alone in the pub he went down to the cellar for a few moments. On returning back to the bar area he noticed that all of the lamp and light shades that were hung up around and above the bar had been turned (and screwed) upside down. Directly Opposite the main door into the pub was a flight of stairs that led to the living area. Looking up there he saw a small boy aged around 8 year old. The boy began laughing at my father in law and slowly disappeared. He was so scared he left the pub and ran around the corner to the Roman Bath pub that was run by a friend of his. He stayed the night there (after a stiff drink) and went back to his own pub the following morning. He didn’t see or hear anything ‘supernatural’ again.

Ohh wow I’ve been in the Roman baths pub a few times but never in’t other one.Wonder if it’s still called Thomas’s not a good start to running the place.I wonder how many times that must happen one occurrence then nothing.And people maybe just miss it if it is a small thing.??. Just the old place letting you know/sounding you out.Same for the ghosts

In the 1960’s my wife’s Father was landlord of a pub called ‘Thomas’s’ in York. On his first night there after locking up and alone in the pub he went down to the cellar for a few moments. On returning back to the bar area he noticed that all of the lamp and light shades that were hung up around and above the bar had been turned (and screwed) upside down. Directly Opposite the main door into the pub was a flight of stairs that led to the living area. Looking up there he saw a small boy aged around 8 year old. The boy began laughing at my father in law and slowly disappeared. He was so scared he left the pub and ran around the corner to the Roman Bath pub that was run by a friend of his. He stayed the night there (after a stiff drink) and went back to his own pub the following morning. He didn’t see or hear anything ‘supernatural’ again.
This place?
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.961...4!1syW17EP8o81B7bjiOGnfVxg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Hi mythopoeika thanks for that and yes I have been in there a couple of times.Will be going in again no doubt just out of curiosity.I think it’s really cool when you know a bit of history like that might even sound the bar staff out see if they have any stories.I am used to been thrown out of pubs for being weird.

Ohh wow I’ve been in the Roman baths pub a few times but never in’t other one.Wonder if it’s still called Thomas’s not a good start to running the place.I wonder how many times that must happen one occurrence then nothing.And people maybe just miss it if it is a small thing.??. Just the old place letting you know/sounding you out.Same for the ghosts

It’s still there, and still called Thomas’s! I’ve not been in there before but the memory of it still gives my father in law the creeps!!

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but Haunted Workplace seems the most appropriate.

I work in a modern retail complex (less than 10 years old) on the edge of a very old medieval English town. As far as I can tell it's built on land that's been open since at least the 19th century, although it has older medieval boundary walls, house plots and pathways on the 3 sides of the site.

It is a cavernous building with high open roof spaces with exposed heating/ air conditioning/ water pipes. Wherever a ceiling was not not strictly necessary there isn't one, the staircases are also open. The acoustics are weird, very deadened especially when it's closed and there's only a small night team on site. I'm guessing from what I've read about before there's a bit of an infra sound issue going on - the acoustics do remind me of empty tube stations,. Ever since I've worked there I've seen figures but dismissed it as products of the infra sound. It happens most often when it's closed and I'm working, but almost every shift I see figure standing out of the corner of my eye, when I look there's nothing, often related to some background pareidolia-like effect where a discarded jacket or stack of crates has taken human form. None of this bothers me or feels ghostly in any way, I just ignore it and get on with my work.
However a few spots do feel a bit weird but no unexplainable experiences, and so far I've just listened out for any odd stories from staff who've worked there longer than me and up to now had heard nothing.

Then about 2 weeks ago I had a genuinely odd experience while outside in the yard. It's quite open and large with high overhead lighting, a very tall medieval wall on one side, the building on 2 (several stories in height), the 4th side a high modern fence and security gate. I have been out there at night almost every shift at some point and never felt anything before. I was placing some items into a store unit when I saw a figure peering around a van at me, about 20ft away (there's a few parking places for company cars/vans in the yard). This was very different to the "figures" I'd seen out of the corner of my eye inside the building. I looked round, and it seemed to pull itself back behind the van, before looking around again when I looked away. No figure I'd seen before had moved at all, let alone in such a human way. There also seemed to be something a bit off about it/him. He was a similar height to me (around 5'6") but very wiry and slight, with a very pale, very rounded bald head and seemed to be wearing some kind of sandy coloured jumpsuit or dungarees that made me think of desert fatigues.. He was solid, but seemed very wispish and insubstantial somehow. After this had happened several times I decided to go and have a look - I'd need to walk past it to go back in anyway, and I could walk forward to see round the back of the van while staying about 10ft away. I don't think I'd have been keen on just poking my head round at close quarters. As I drew level and looked across I had a fleeting image of a figure but what I actually saw was a human sized column of dense, white mist, that rapidly shrunk into a a small roughly circular swirl about 5ft off the ground, then just disappeared. The mist was not transparent I couldn't see through it at all, in fact it was very white almost pearly.

Certain aspects of it reminded me of the one time in my life I genuinely believe I saw a ghost (recorded on these boards somewhere) but it felt very different in the sense the "ghost" I saw before had a vivid sense of being a human consciousness. Although it was certainly conscious, aware of me and interacted with me, it definitely did not feel human. Didn't feel "alien" either, whatever alien is. It also didn't feel scary or dark, probably best described as neutral or mischievous, there was that kind of feel to it. If anyone has read the Stephen King book "Insomnia" it did put me in mind of the little bald doctors, only he was more a normal human size.

I didn't tell anyone just reflected and thought I need to log in and post this - then this week something else happened. I was inside in a a room with a colleague. I had my back turned with the door about 6ft away to my left. My colleague was on the far side of the smallish room. I saw a man walk past me, through the door and up into the corridor beyond, wearing our work clothes apparently - I turned and left shortly afterward closing the door behind me on an empty room I thought. Only the door opened almost immediately with my colleague wondering why I had shut the door in his face. There was no one in the corridor. I apologised and said I saw someone leave I thought he had already gone. This lead to a number of interesting conversations. Basically I found out multiple staff members have seen a man in the same area of the building, walking into and out of rooms mainly. Also have seen objects flying off of shelves, they've assured me not just falling, but flying with enough force to hit the opposite wall when there's no one near by.

This is the opposite end of the building from the yard where I had the other experience (which I still haven't told anyone at work I decided it just sounds too weird!) It does seem a bit strange that they both happened within a week of each other. I also got some pretty wild stories of deaths and old buildings that apparently used to be on the site but I can't find any evidence for what people have said so far though I'm going to do more research into it.

Also interesting that after working there for several years and hearing nothing I'm only just finding out a large number of colleagues have had odd experiences and seem to think the place is haunted.
I suspect a lot of it is down to the infra sound thing which I'm sure is a factor. It's also possible from the known geography that an underground river could run under the site somewhere which could also add to the weird acoustics in there.

Anyway, any thoughts on any of it, especially the little bald chap, would be most welcome, and I'll let you know if I find out anything more.

Just had another weird thing happen. One of the fire extinguishers just fell off the wall. It sounded like someone was trying to kick the office doors in tho, and was a good foot from the wall with the nozzle end away from the wall.
The odd thing about it was the noise. It would have dropped less than a foot and didn't seen like it had fell over from against the wall. Even the rawl plugs have come out.
Now, I am happy to accept the it just fell off the wall, crap plaster etc excuse. I would have expected it to not be as noisy as this was...
Just another odd thing in this office lol.

"Reading never feels too spooky, which is weird considering the history of the Forbury area"

Sadly, following yesterday's atrocity, The Forbury will never feel the same again.

I used to work in the offices of a recruitment agency. Leading off from our office was a smaller room which housed a franking machine and the paperwork for all of the temps who worked for the company. One day I was franking the mail with a colleague ready to take to the post office. There was a rack attached to the wall containing job cards for temps who had left. The rack suddenly started shaking uncontrollably for no apparent reason.

In one of the other offices there was also a radio that would turn itself up.

Back