• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Who Would Populate A Sister Planet?

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
This may need moving to another forum, but I could not decide which would be most appropriate.

So, we may soon be in a position to populate Mars. Or at least set up outposts there.

Who will do this ?

Would it be one country with one religion and one way of viewing the Earth society ?

Would it be governed from Earth ?

Have you all read 'Red Mars' by Kim Stanley Robinson ? If so, what lessons did you get from it about the sociology involved ?

INT21.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'd like to think it would be all people with high IQs.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Prisoners perhaps, or mormons.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I don't see it as a benefit, just a likelihood.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I can see it's going to be one of those kinds of discussion.

Anyway, let's run with the idea that we have a prison planet supervised by a single religion, and a bit of a fringe one at that.

Any advance on this ?

INT21.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Some plumbers would be useful.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
So would you plumbers be selected from the Mormons or the prisoners ?

And if the Mormons were in charge, would the prisoners have to convert to the Mormon religion as it is hard to get a job even in Utah unless you are 'of the faith'.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The plumbers could be either really.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I'd like to think it would be all people with high IQs.
And a diploma in plumbing.

Sorry about that. I was hoping for some form of discussion here, but so far yours seems to be the only sensible response.

The mix of people would be very important. Or we would just create the same problems we have here.

As for prisoners. No way would that happen.

You could pack prisoners into old space craft and shoot them into the Sun. 'Oh dear, Never should have used that old Boeing software. Never mind. plenty more where that lot came from'.

As a scientific outpost one could control the situation. But as to developing the Planet for general habitation, I don't know.

HAL.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Human's desire for exploration is overrated. Many of the exploration vessels of the past were crewed by convicts or people just in it for a paycheck.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Things have changed since America was discovered.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think we'll be able to do more than "inhabiting" Mars (in the same sense we "inhabit" Antarctica) for the foreseeable future. This will be a form of occupation more limited than "populating" (in the sense of open-ended self-sustaining occupation on a planet-wide basis).

I'm deeply skeptical about the prospects for terraforming Mars to the point humans can freely move about and support themselves (e.g., via agriculture) outdoors on the Martian surface. There are many reasons for this skepticism, not the least of which is the stark fact Mars is a smaller planet incapable of reliably holding onto its own atmosphere.

As I've already hinted, I see multi-national free range outposting a la Antarctica as the motif for long-term Martian occupation.

In the shorter term, I see multi-national cooperative arrangements a la the ISS as the motif for getting to Mars and setting up the initial outpost(s). I strongly suspect this will also be the eventual motif for whatever persistently-occupied Moon base(s) will be required to support missions to Mars.

Having said that ... I don't see anyone going to, and staying upon, Mars in the foreseeable future who isn't analogous to a current astronaut - i.e., a physically fit educated professional, quite likely to have considerable military or similar experience.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Triple-breasted space-alien prostitutes should populate Mars, but that's probably top of the list anyway...

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
There seem to be plenty of volunteers for the first manned Martian expedition at the moment - even though this would in all probability be a one way trip. So let the brave attention-seekers and those with poorly developed survival instinct take the first steps.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
There seem to be plenty of volunteers for the first manned Martian expedition at the moment - even though this would in all probability be a one way trip. So let the brave attention-seekers and those will poorly developed survival instinct take the first steps.
Yes. We can learn from the mistakes they make.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Venus is the sister planet, Mars is the bro planet.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Send the greens they can then demonstrate how good the earth could be, we would after all
be giving them a head start on a planet without a single factory chimney, how can we lose.
I recommend it to the house.
Yes, they could explain why it's so cold on Mars in a mostly CO2 atmosphere. We'll listen to what they say as they freeze solid.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Triple-breasted space-alien prostitutes should populate Mars, but that's probably top of the list anyway...
But why, you only have two hands.

INT21.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
RaM.

But Mars is definitely a better contender for habitation than the Moon.

The thing is, our home planet is screwed. It will take a long time, but it will probably become uninhabitable for most of the population.

So we have to go somewhere. And there is no where else in the Solar system that fits the bill.

Humans will dig themselves into their own grave. It really is obvious to anyone who takes notice of what is going on in the World.

INT21.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If you put it that way then Mars is likely to good to wast on the greens.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think we have to screw up quite royally here before Mars will be a better option than Earth.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
We already are well screwed if you look at the big picture.

Maybe this analogy will help.

You live in a town that is rapidly going down hill. No work, rising crime, shops closing down etc.

So you decide to move out to place and make a new start. Say Idaho. Lots of space even if the locals may have a reputation for being a bit gun happy.

You buy some land.

But there is no point in going there if you don't have a house built and the utilities installed.

So you go out on weekend trips. Build a shack, Set up a few solar panels.

Arrange to collect water from the nearest town or farm.

Then, when you have your base set up, you move out and complete the job in between doing whatever you need to do to make a living.

Same with Mars.

INT21.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well I haven't travelled to any polluted places round the world but with the rack of the eye the UK is a
dam sight less polluted than it was when I was young, the rivers I am familiar with when I was in my
20's about 50 years back were so bad nothing lived withing 6 ft and if you fell in first thing they did
was subject you to a stomach pump, now they have fish weeds grow in them, this is a bit of a problem
as it slows the flow and is one course of flooding.
I have seen it so smoggy the bus conductor had to walk in front of the bus, you were lucky to see across
the estuary and the kids would be sent home early as the ferry was having to stop running, now it's a
very poor day I cant see Barrow 18 miles away and then it's down to rain, I can often see the IOM if
the tide is low and that is 70/80 miles away.
Look at a old film of London, not a place you would think of as clean, in the old films it usually looks
murky to say the least, now look at a modern film usually much brighter, that's not the old film stock
it rely was that bad then.
The world as come out of a ice age without the aid of humans and will likely continue to warm up for
a wile yet no matter what we do, though it's very good for scaring extra tax out of people, I doubt
us making a lot of difference, having said that I sure as hell don't want to go back to literally walking
into a lamp post in the smog were the only sign of wild life was a few sparrows having a quiet cough
on the phone wires, so I have a slightly more rose tinted take on things than most, as I can remember how it was
at least in the UK about 60 years back.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
The radiation would drive you mad in weeks.
So it doesn’t matter who goes really.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
RaM,

You are quite correct.

I also remember the smog so thick you couldn't see the floor in front of you. That was a combination of factories and steam trains.
But in that respect everyting in the area is much better. It is almost unheard of to see smoke from any chimney. Also the rivers are clean, though we did have a problem a few year back when people who kept pigs were dumping slurry into one small river. It clogged up the river bed and killed everything. Huge fines and the removal of the pigs fixed that problem although it took a couple of year for the river to recover.

Buy that isn't the problem this time. At least not here.

No doubt you will remember the days when it was normal to see trucks blasting out clouds of black smoke and an oily grey cloud following cars. Virtually all gone.

The problem is that most of the population doesn't even think about the long term future of the Planet. Not even aware there is an existential problem building.

INT21.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Analogue Boy,

Have you looked at the figures given by Spaceweather for the radiation absorbed in high altitude flying recently ?

Particularly over the last month or so.

No need to go to Mars to get your brain scrambled.

INT21.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Analogue Boy,

Have you looked at the figures given by Spaceweather for the radiation absorbed in high altitude flying recently ?

Particularly over the last month or so.

No need to go to Mars to get your brain scrambled.

INT21.
Give me that brain scrambling high altitude radiation over a hop across europe on a budget airline any day.