Who Would Populate A Sister Planet?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Just looking through this thread, I wondered why it looks rather sterile, considering the apparently innocuous title.
Then I realised it is because the process of selection can't be discussed here.
'Should have realised that earlier.
You started the thread, and there's nothing in the inaugural post alluding to any selection procedure or criteria. I suspect most folks interpreted the topical thrust as:

Who Would (End Up Being The Ones To) Populate A Sister Planet?
OR
Who Would (Want To) Populate A Sister Planet?

... rather than:

Who Would (Be Chosen To) Populate A Sister Planet?

INT21

Antediluvian
Maybe I should have asked ' How will the population of the Planet be selected ?'

That is more in line with what I was interested in.

So, any ideas; anyone ?

INT21

Antediluvian
I was thinking back to the selection process I went through before going to work in the Middle East.

Apart from the obvious need to be able to do the job, a possible equal need was to be able to get on with the others.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I was thinking back to the selection process I went through before going to work in the Middle East.
Apart from the obvious need to be able to do the job, a possible equal need was to be able to get on with the others.
Definitely! The earthbound experiments done to study long-term crew interactions within an enclosed space have been motivated primarily by the need to evaluate psychological / sociological issues.

The most recent such simulation studies - at the HI-SEAS test facility atop Mauna Loa in Hawaii:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HI-SEAS

... have yielded variable results. The fifth simulation study (HI-SEAS V; 2017) ran the planned 8 months. The following study (HI-SEAS VI; 2018) had to be aborted due to a participant's need for hospitalization and a possible equipment problem causing an accident.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Also the name of the bookshop that the Fortean times was first developed in if my memory serves me well.
Yes indeed. The room upstairs, not for the initial start of FT but for a good long period. Dark They Were and Golden Eyed is also where the Forbidden Planet chain grew from, some of the staff decided to start up on their own.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Yes indeed. The room upstairs, not for the initial start of FT but for a good long period. Dark They Were and Golden Eyed is also where the Forbidden Planet chain grew from, some of the staff decided to start up on their own.
Ahhh, that's going back some, I used to visit Dark They Were after they moved to Soho Square. Staff used a skateboard to negotiate the book racks in the basement - also vaguely remember something about purchasing a half of Krull and a quarter of Killraven from there.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Ahhh, that's going back some, I used to visit Dark They Were after they moved to Soho Square. Staff used a skateboard to negotiate the book racks in the basement - also vaguely remember something about purchasing a half of Krull and a quarter of Killraven from there.
I loved that place.